Boston EMS TV Show

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
My objection to the show is simple- it showcases the exact opposite system design from what I prefer. It does a good job of humanizing employees and patients, but it also spotlights what they do (or don't do) and solidifies an impression of us as technicians. Imagine if that police officer's patella had been here in Texas, in a system that allows its medics to reduce dislocations (and mine does not, sadly- it would be a valuable skill to learn, but that's another argument). Instead of a BLS ride, it could have literally been pain management, acute problem resolution, immobilization, training and crutches and referral to an orthopedist for follow-up or a surgeon if needed- we could literally have replaced the ED. Now imagine televising that care and demonstrating that we can do more than CPR and drive- imagine showing definitively that we can solve a problem, spare an ED visit and turn an unpleasant multi-hour experience into a simple bad day?

Instead of that, Save My Life and Boston EMS turn injuries into entertainment and our profession into goodhearted, powerless people-movers.

You do realize BEMS does not have a lot of ALS running around right? So if a BLS truck can handle it, which they could, they will. My guess is thats why it was BLSd.

You also literally said it yourself earlier today in another thread...

"A BLS truck is cheaper to staff, equip and field and leaves paramedic units available for more acute calls."

Last edited:

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Sounds like a cop-out, Remi. I am pointing out that people, including physicians, are not correct solely because of their education- for example, as a somewhat-competent provider of medical services (albeit not as skilled, educated or legally enabled as a physician),

A cop out? Maybe you should look that term up, because you don't seem to know what it means. While you are at it, learn what "irrelevant" means.

The real problem with this industry is not compassionate, competent, educated people like me willing to recognize that good medical care is also good customer service. It's with fools like yourself who believe that lack of legal ability or support to teach us to manage conditions like this justifies converting entire swathes of our service into glorified taxi rides on the basis of cost efficiency...and it's with the culture that associates acute pain relief with crime, addiction and dependency, a culture you and many others seem to have bought into wholeheartedly.

The problem that I am referring to is one of lack education combined with overconfidence / arrogance / cockiness - or whichever other pejorative you think fits best - that plagues so many members of the EMS community. It has always been a problem, and it remains a problem. We used to use the term "paragod".

This discussion really has nothing to do with analgesia, it has to do with you and the other paragods and how your actions affect EMS and more importantly, our patients. Always thinking you are the smartest in the room, in spite of your low level of education and experience relative to those who disagree with you. Always confusing your own opinion with fact. Always outspokenly telling others that they are doing it wrong, yet refusing to consider the feedback that others provide you. Always thinking that "go big or go home" is a good philosophy of patient care. Always thinking that just because you carry fentanyl and sux, that you need to use them as often as possible, and screw anyone who tells you that that might not be the best thing for the patients. Always being sure that you "know" all about something, without even having any idea what the current research on that topic says. Or even knowing how to read research.

Ever stop to think that if the citizens of Boston or King County or Austin were as unhappy with their EMS systems as you think they should be, that they would change them? Ever stop to think that if the patients of the EMS system were being harmed or having a bad experience because of the poor system design or protocols, that the physicians and other officials who run the EMS systems might make some changes? Why do you think you know so much more about what the people of Boston should be satisfied with than the collective entirety of the citizens of that city?

Ever stop to think that perhaps medicsb might know something that you don't about managing the pain of a patellar dislocation? That maybe at some point during his four years of medical school and several years of residency, they thought to briefly cover the topic of managing a patient's orthopedic pain while they wait to be seen? Of course the fact that someone is a physician does not make them infallible. But it's a safe bet that a paramedic-turned-EM doc knows what he is talking about and isn't going about abusing his patients. Did you consider that? No. Instead of asking him to explain and maybe learning something, you insult him. Good grief. Same with jwk. The guy used to be a paramedic, and now he literally manages pain for a living. But you know more about what is appropriate and necessary analgesia than he does. Right.

Get over yourself, man. You don't know what you don't know.

Last edited:

EMT2015

Forum Captain
Does the EMS partner actually ride in the back of the rig or was this just for the show?

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Instead of a BLS ride, it could have literally been pain management, acute problem resolution, immobilization, training and crutches and referral to an orthopedist for follow-up or a surgeon if needed- we could literally have replaced the ED.
Have you heard of any service, even if they are allowed to reduce dislocations in the field, carry crutches and knee immobilizers? What about write prescriptions for narcotics? Even have a printer on board to provide discharge instructions and a follow up referral. The mid level in the field doing community paramedicine is evolving, but is no where near developed enough to provide the level of care that you are claiming.

evantheEMT

Forum Crew Member
Als for a dislocation? What a waste of resources. This is the problem with ems and actually er's quick give pain meds to everything instead of splinting, icing and elevation if you can. It's a call by call basis.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Als for a dislocation? What a waste of resources. This is the problem with ems and actually er's quick give pain meds to everything instead of splinting, icing and elevation if you can. It's a call by call basis.
Have you ever had a dislocation? They're painful. Do you, as an EMT, give pain meds? No? Then call for someone who does so the patient can actually be treated. Relying on the ER to provide the same treatment an ALS unit could easiy provide in less time is not only lazy, but it's a disservice to your patient. You've never held the wall with a patient in pain? You've never seen a busy ER where your patient is not immediately medicated?
Hint: provide appropriate treatment for your patient, even if it's not cool and life saving.

evantheEMT

Forum Crew Member
Have you ever had a dislocation? They're painful. Do you, as an EMT, give pain meds? No? Then call for someone who does so the patient can actually be treated. Relying on the ER to provide the same treatment an ALS unit could easiy provide in less time is not only lazy, but it's a disservice to your patient. You've never held the wall with a patient in pain? You've never seen a busy ER where your patient is not immediately medicated?
Hint: provide appropriate treatment for your patient, even if it's not cool and life saving.
OK give pain meds just because is ridiculous but go for it. I've had a dislocation splinted and iced and was fine.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm trying to keep this informative. If you dislocated your finger that's a little different than a hip/shoulder/knee. That's all, no need to get upset.
And I did go to medic school, because I got tired of the limited treatments I could provide my patients with as an EMT.

evantheEMT

Forum Crew Member
I'm trying to keep this informative. If you dislocated your finger that's a little different than a hip/shoulder/knee. That's all, no need to get upset.
And I did go to medic school, because I got tired of the limited treatments I could provide my patients with as an EMT.
It was my knee and als is limited too obviously not like bls but als is too. I'm just saying not everyone needs pain meds.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It was my knee and als is limited too obviously not like bls but als is too. I'm just saying not everyone needs pain meds.

No you're not. You said:

Here's the takeaway. People in pain should have their pain managed. It's good medicine. It's good customer service. It's the right thing to do. It's what you'd want if your mom fell and dislocated something. You'd want ALS to show up and provide pain management. And you know it.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Why even bother, all I'm seeing is the BLS before ALS mantra being repeated. Paramedics obviously are just upgraded EMTs to this gentleman.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Generally speaking, people in pain could stand to benefit from pain control medication. Maybe not from opioids, but that's a different discussion.

Just RICE it and suck it up bro is not a treatment plan.