Boston EMS TV Show

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Didn't see any threads on this yet. Anybody watch it on ABC? The first episode seemed pretty good!

EMT2015

Forum Captain
I wasn't able to watch it last night and now I have to wait a week to be able to watch it online.

EMT2015

Forum Captain
The ABC Family app. I don't have access to my family's comcast info, so I can't sign in.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Watching now on UVerse on demand. Not impressed. Taking in a kid with severe allergic reaction apparently BLS with no interventions. Police officer with a dislocated knee and no pain mess.

I don't see that as appropriate at all.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Same here. Very minimalistic.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Watching now on UVerse on demand. Not impressed. Taking in a kid with severe allergic reaction apparently BLS with no interventions. Police officer with a dislocated knee and no pain mess.

I don't see that as appropriate at all.

I think you're actually thinking of the other Boston show that came out recently: "Save my Life: Boston Trauma." That one focused more on the in-hospital stuff, but I agree it didn't paint EMS in a good light. Or the hospital, really. Overall, that show was awful in my opinion, from the cinematography to the patient care shown by EMS.

Another show just came out though (on ABC again, and the show I'm talking about) called "Boston EMS." Most of the first episode showed BLS level calls, and I think showed a pretty professional response to them. Things from helping out a homeless gentleman without shoes, to making sure a gentleman with dementia got back to the correct house, without forcing him to go to the hospital. Sure, it wasn't perfect, but I thought it was pretty good!

Fleury14

Forum Crew Member
FWIW the "save my life Boston trauma" one shows many more EMTS from the privates than the city. Look at the uniforms.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
It urks me that they stage Boston EMS giving CMED patches of incoming patients then blatantly show a private or fire department bringing in the actual patient (talking about Save My Life-Boston Trauma). Boston EMS was not originally going to be a show but they had so much extra material from Save My Life that they decided to make it.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Definitely was Boston EMS that BLSd anaphalaxis and a dislocation...

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Out of curiosity, I had a look at Boston EMS and it looks somewhat the same but quite different!

Everybody sounds like a member of Kennedy family!
Ambulances are much bigger but inside the patient compartment seems quite cramped
Uniforms make them look like police not ambulance personnel and they are different colours?
No pain relief seen not even paracetamol or entonox?
No high visibility vests at night or road crashes!?
Driving with one hand and using the radio while driving - including urgent driving!?
The story of that guy who got shot walking home was pretty unbelievable
Only once saw anything done inside pt house, seemed to do everything in the ambulance?

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Out of curiosity, I had a look at Boston EMS and it looks somewhat the same but quite different!

Everybody sounds like a member of Kennedy family!
Ambulances are much bigger but inside the patient compartment seems quite cramped
Uniforms make them look like police not ambulance personnel and they are different colours?
No pain relief seen not even paracetamol or entonox?
No high visibility vests at night or road crashes!?
Driving with one hand and using the radio while driving - including urgent driving!?
The story of that guy who got shot walking home was pretty unbelievable
Only once saw anything done inside pt house, seemed to do everything in the ambulance?

Uniforms are same brown color for all EMTs, medics where white. If you are talking about the blue, thats a private (that I used to work for). How do you give report while driving? Boston EMS is still technically part of the police department and they carry and use handcuffs. After not living in MA for two years. The accents seem ridiculous haha.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Uniforms are same brown color for all EMTs, medics where white. If you are talking about the blue, thats a private (that I used to work for). How do you give report while driving? Boston EMS is still technically part of the police department and they carry and use handcuffs. After not living in MA for two years. The accents seem ridiculous haha.
They are in the same union, but actually a part of the Boston Public Health Commission.

And yes, it's a BLS heavy system. There EMTs are very well trained and they do make a commitment to additional education (three month classroom academy followed by three months with an FTO), but at the end of the day they are still EMTs. Etonox/Nitrous is very rare in US as it cannot be mixed in the same cylinder. For whatever reason tylenol (close to paracetomol) never caught on with EMS here. They are supposed to wear vests on traffic accidents just like every other EMS provider in this country.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
So what do you use for analgesia if you are not able to give parenteral pain relief, or pts who only have minor or moderate pain if you don't have entonox?

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
So what do you use for analgesia if you are not able to give parenteral pain relief, or pts who only have minor or moderate pain if you don't have entonox?
Kind, calm demeanor. In my region, pain relief is administered on a Fentanyl-or-nothing basis.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief

People that are having anything over a 7 out of 10 are supposed to get Fentanyl in my system . With that being said, every pt says they are a 10 our of 10. So if they actually seem to be in pain they will get it. The person who is screaming for 5 minutes then falls asleep on the way in, or is talking or their cell phone is not getting crap. 98% of the time its the second scenario.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
High flow O2, backboards, and if I'm feeling really generous, maybe an ice pack.
I don't know of a BLS service that has any pain management protocols to speak of, and ALS will be giving morphine or fent.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Less fentanyl. We carry fentanyl, morphine, and ketamine, with the ability to concurrently dose the first two with versed or valium. Yet we can't have tylenol because well I don't know. I looked at getting us a grant for a nitrous system but the price point was very high.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
High flow O2, backboards, and if I'm feeling really generous, maybe an ice pack.
I don't know of a BLS service that has any pain management protocols to speak of, and ALS will be giving morphine or fent.

I can be the guy in the back if the pt is given IN fentanyl or any IN med. But thats the extent.