boots and pants

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Try a pair on and see what you think. You'll be surprised. I wear 5.11 ATAC shield boots and the composite toe is certainly doesn't add much noticeable weight nor does it conduct cold. However, when a rescue tool was dropped on my toes at an MVA, I was able to tell the firefighter, "no big deal". Again, it's a risk vs benefit thing. If your department doesn't require a safety toe, and you don't want to wear them, don't. :)

But saying "it's not something to worry about in the EMS world" is 100% false, and that my toes are unbroken is a testament to that.

Back in the day we were required to wear steel toes. I'm clumsy as it is. I couldn't imagine working a shift and not wearing them.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
I don't much like 'em. Any good uniform boots should have stiffened leather at the toe which offers protection against most reasonable dings and squishes... I realize it's still possible that someone drives an engine over your foot or something, but for me not worth the candle.

greenmountains

Forum Crew Member
Try a pair on and see what you think. You'll be surprised. I wear 5.11 ATAC shield boots and the composite toe is certainly doesn't add much noticeable weight nor does it conduct cold. However, when a rescue tool was dropped on my toes at an MVA, I was able to tell the firefighter, "no big deal". Again, it's a risk vs benefit thing. If your department doesn't require a safety toe, and you don't want to wear them, don't. :)

But saying "it's not something to worry about in the EMS world" is 100% false, and that my toes are unbroken is a testament to that.

Glad it worked for you, but I have never had the issue, myself. I do note that you have a composite toe, which in my opinion is far superior for most work than steel.
I know of one individual who worked in the Watervliet Arsenal (a federal facility that manufactures artillery - among other things) that had a huge cannon barrel fall from a height of like 3', despite it weighing tons, escaped with only broken toes. The steel cap was driven through the sole of the boot and into the wood covered floor and embedded. Lucky, really freakin' lucky to retain the end of his foot.
Me? I have never had the issue.
So...you pays your money and takes your chances.
Oh...my service advises against steel toes (nothing dictated other than color), but boot choice is up to the individual.

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Right. I've also never had puke spray in my eyes when I'm intubating, but I still wear safety glasses.

But, you do what you're comfortable with.

bizzy522

Forum Crew Member
511 pants all the way! If you want a nice cheap pair of boots Id say Bates or 511 they will last ya a few years.. nicer boots Id say Georgia or Danner.. I have been wearing my Georgia boots for 2 years and they still look brand new(a little hot though).

spnjsquad

Forum Crew Member
I wear 5.11 pants with a cheaper pair of ****ies as a backup in case something happens to my pants and I have to change quick and Smith & Wesson boots which aren't steel toe or waterproof, although I've walked through water in them and havent felt anything come through. I usually wear those when I'm not expecting wet weather and my Timberland Pro Series (waterproof and steel toe) when I am. I have two pairs because the Timberlands are really heavy and kiil your feet after a 12 hour shift, so I needed something lighter. The ****ies pants were $30 and the 5.11s were $50 and both pairs of boots were $120 each.

greenmountains

Forum Crew Member
I wear 5.11 pants with a cheaper pair of ****ies as a backup in case something happens to my pants and I have to change quick and Smith & Wesson boots which aren't steel toe or waterproof, although .... I usually wear those when I'm not expecting wet weather and my Timberland Pro Series (waterproof and steel toe) when I am. I have two pairs because the Timberlands are really heavy and kiil your feet after a 12 hour shift, so I needed something lighter. The ****ies pants were $30 and the 5.11s were $50 and both pairs of boots were $120 each.

Yes, the black ****ies cargo pants work, though they lack the bells and whistles of 5.11 and the sophistication. I mostly use them as a backup,
insurance against blood and puke. I pay only $23 a pair for them and they get retired to everyday wear when showing age. They are tough.

5.11 pants are a world better in every way but even $50 is a bargain as they mostly are showing up in the $60 range. They outlast the ****ies maybe by more than twice as long. The ****ies do have a good fabric blend.

No matter the brand, I stich in a crease which lasts as the perma-press crease will not. I helps to keep them looking good, without constant pressing. 5.11s can sometimes be had quite cheaply on eBay. Make sure they are new. This might be the best option.

Cheap boots can work for awhile and sometimes surprisingly well. I bought a pair at Wally World last fall and still wear them in the woods, although they no longer look good enough for work. Six months use for $20, soft toe though.

I dislike Timberland, like you, because of the weight (steel toe) and no longer use them for anything.

If you look around you can get Interceptors with some kind of a composite toe shell for fairly cheap, like $45 or so. I bought my Magnums discontinued for like $65. Both a deal, though the Magnums are better, likewise a better toe cap and a side zipper.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Looks a little casual.

NomadicMedic

I may be the only one, but I think 5.11 pants are waaay overpriced. If I'm going to wear BDU type pants, the LA Police Gear pants are a great bargain at 20 bucks a pair. I have several pair and they've held up great.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I may be the only one, but I think 5.11 pants are waaay overpriced. If I'm going to wear BDU type pants, the LA Police Gear pants are a great bargain at 20 bucks a pair. I have several pair and they've held up great.

My uniform store sells them as their cheapest EMS pants. They don't realize that EMS tac pants are not the same as regular tac pants so they sell them for forty and I don't correct their mistake.

Still not cheap but I appreciate water/coffee repellent stuff.

NomadicMedic

That's a pretty good price. I never found 5.11 pants to be all that comfortable and thought that the hype outperformed the functionality.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
I ordered a pair of Elbeco Tec 3 pants from a recommendation another member gave on this forum. I gave them to my partner to hem in trade for a hat. She's had them for over 3 weeks now, not sure that I'm ever going to see them again :glare:

If I do get them back, I'll let you all know how they stack up to Duluth work pants...

greenmountains

Forum Crew Member
One of the services I work for will allow no coat or shirt that they have not provided...you CANNOT buy your own. I leave you to imagine the issues this creates as you get two shirts every couple years (mostly if you become a pain). I have two short sleeve shirts and two pants...period. They also require you (in theory at least) to have a second set of clothes in the car, so essentially you have no turn around time for the laundry. The reason: blood and puke. One day I will be sorry I have no third set.
They are less picky about pants even to the point of allowing black (which can pass for the approved navy blue in less than perfect light). Some folks use Dxxkies brand pants since pants are not so rigidly controlled.
My other service specifies the color of shirt and pants and that is it. You provide any patch you like (even patches from other services and other states for those like me with multiple licenses). There is a persistent rumor that one day this summer some polo shirts may arrive paid for by the company. We work outdoors and short-sleeve sunburn is always lurking. The rumor of pants to be provided has no basis in fact and has been denied by higher ups. Many of my fellows there prefer the cheaper boots (Interceptor) found in Wally World. They are certainly lighter than 5 1 1s in the very hot outdoor climate we work in for that service. Some folk wear high top black cross trainers. I suspect I will cross to the dark side on that before August is gone with its heat.

Last edited:

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
The curse word censor. I can say Prick, but not the short name for Richard.
It's really awesome when your on an aviation forum and you can't even spell out the forward part of an aircraft where the pilots control the plane.....

One of the services I work for will allow no coat or shirt that they have not provided...you CANNOT buy your own. I leave you to imagine the issues this creates as you get two shirts every couple years.
Yikes, ok, so can you get a third or fourth set from your service if you request one? Like they wont even sell you an additional pair?? That's absolutely ridiculous..

garyh9900

Forum Ride Along
I currently wear a pair of Haix Airpower XR1(9 inch boot) or a pair of Haix Airpower R8(4 inch boot). I've worn Rocky first meds, different 5.11's, Bates, Danners, and probably some others. So far I'm a huge fan of Haix(I've been wearing these for about 2 years). Both are composite toe. They are extremely comfortable, light, fit well. Find a place that has them in stock and take them for a test drive.