boots and pants

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If your currently employeed you may want to ask if they have standards on what boots you need.

My first pair of boots were from Big 5 and lasted me a good 2 years for around $40. When I was hired on the companies boot policy makes the boots around $200.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I have to wear the issued boots unless I have a DR note saying I need to wear my own for xyz reason. But even then they have to be black and provide some ankle support.

Angel

Paramedic
Magnums for around 81-90$

Not steel or composite toe though. Those can be upward of 150, generally 300$

511 has some decent ones as well. Just go to the store and make sure to be sized. Not all fit the same

Milton

Forum Ride Along
I would just like to add that having side zippered boots make removing boots at the end of a long shift easier. And also consider what kind socks you will be using with the boots and bring a pair of them with you when you try on the boots in the store. As the thickness and height of the socks can affect how boots fit to your feet.

rmena

Forum Crew Member
I dont know about the side zipped....I had a pair and they were uber easy to take off but at 2 am when tones went off I was a monkey humping a football. They have front zip that open up wider so that when you dont know up from down its harder to miss. lol. As far as pants..propper makes a pretty hard to beat pant for really good price. No pockets for trauma shears and all your EMT swag but thats what your jump bag is for ;)

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
I really like my Blauer Blitz boots. The steel lacing system is wonderful, the lacing never gets loose, so I'm not ever having to fiddle with tightening the laces. They are also easy on and easy off. No side or front zippers needed.

greenmountains

Forum Crew Member
****ies are a reputable brand for pants.

Boots I recommend any variety of steel toed.

****ie's cargo pant is decent for about $23 if your local Walmart carries them. Otherwise look for 511 online, you can sometimes find them on eBay for as little as the ****ies if you are not particular about which model.
Boots: Magnum or better if you can afford them, otherwise Interceptor from a variety of sources, including at times Walmart.

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
Ok, so is the general recommendation on boots to get a pair with a steel toe? I bought my first pair recently ($45) and they aren't steel toe, but this is just a pair to get me through some ride-alongs and clinicals while I get through my EMT Basic course.

E.M.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Ok, so is the general recommendation on boots to get a pair with a steel toe? I bought my first pair recently ($45) and they aren't steel toe, but this is just a pair to get me through some ride-alongs and clinicals while I get through my EMT Basic course.

E.M.
I wouldn't get a steel toe for standard EMS...more uncomfortable and heavier with no real benefit in our daily work.

rails

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member

E.M.

I would personally suggest steel or composite toe, yes. Not worth risking your toes.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I would personally suggest steel or composite toe, yes. Not worth risking your toes.
What do you normally do at work that you see as a big risk to your toes? Differences apply for fire based EMS of course.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I wear composite toe boots. Wait til you drop (or someone else drops) something on your toe. You'll never wonder again. There's no difference in comfort.

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
I wear composite toe boots. Wait til you drop (or someone else drops) something on your toe. You'll never wonder again. There's no difference in comfort.

Yeah, I did a ride-along the other day and, for the first time, felt how heavy some of this equipment is. Knowing it's only a matter of time before someone -- or I -- drop something on my toes or roll over them, I think steel/composite toes probably would make me feel better on the job. It's good to hear there isn't a real difference in comfort between reinforced and non-reinforced boots. That was a concern of mine.

Cheers.

greenmountains

Forum Crew Member
Not in my opinion! Terrible for ambulance work. Heavy, conducts the cold. Really not necessary for ordinary ambulance work.
If you must have a protective toe, try one with the fiberglass or carbon fiber which is lighter and does not freeze your toes. The steel toe is for industrial use, where heavy objects fall and can crush your foot.
It is not something you need to worry about in the EMS world.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Try a pair on and see what you think. You'll be surprised. I wear 5.11 ATAC shield boots and the composite toe is certainly doesn't add much noticeable weight nor does it conduct cold. However, when a rescue tool was dropped on my toes at an MVA, I was able to tell the firefighter, "no big deal". Again, it's a risk vs benefit thing. If your department doesn't require a safety toe, and you don't want to wear them, don't. :)

But saying "it's not something to worry about in the EMS world" is 100% false, and that my toes are unbroken is a testament to that.