Big Ambulance!

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
I noticed there was another Ambulance right next to it. And, that one is still larger than any of the ones we use. And yet, somehow, we manage just fine. Is it possible that this service serves a very rural area and they need that much equipment? If they are less than 15 minutes from a major trauma center and don't do any special IFT's, then I would have to agree that it seems to be more of a showpiece. Something pretty to show the public to make everyone feel better.

None of our EMS providers in my region are FF/EMS. But, still very competent medics. Actually, the vast majority of our FF's are barely first aiders. But, I always feel better when I see them roll on scene. Especially when it comes to a few extra pairs of hands (not necessarily lift assist). But, as we found out this morning, none of them know how our stretcher works.

I guess if you have the money to spend on big toys though, might as well get as many of them as you can.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
RESQ, I also learned that some of the FFs in my area cant work the stretchers-- very funny... because they are all EMTs who have never worked on an ambulance...

I guess a part of rationalizing that cost is figuring out hoe many calls it goes on a year. Someone said it is staffed with 4-6 FF/EMTs-- is that true? Or does it roll with 4-5 FFs, and one EMT? Does this roll on non-medical calls? Does it function that as heavy rescue, that just happens also to transport a patient...? Does anyone know anybody who works for that dept, or can find out more information?

How much does that beast cost? I would love to see their fuel costs!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
That thing is bigger than some of the Engines locally!

OP
OP
lightsandsirens5

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
RESQ, I also learned that some of the FFs in my area cant work the stretchers-- very funny... because they are all EMTs who have never worked on an ambulance...

I guess a part of rationalizing that cost is figuring out hoe many calls it goes on a year. Someone said it is staffed with 4-6 FF/EMTs-- is that true? Or does it roll with 4-5 FFs, and one EMT? Does this roll on non-medical calls? Does it function that as heavy rescue, that just happens also to transport a patient...? Does anyone know anybody who works for that dept, or can find out more information?

How much does that beast cost? I would love to see their fuel costs!

There is a phone # and email address on their site. I recently talked to their chief about one of their engines. My fire district is looking at a similar one. He was very helpful and gave me all kinds of info.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I noticed there was another Ambulance right next to it. And, that one is still larger than any of the ones we use. And yet, somehow, we manage just fine. Is it possible that this service serves a very rural area and they need that much equipment? If they are less than 15 minutes from a major trauma center and don't do any special IFT's, then I would have to agree that it seems to be more of a showpiece. Something pretty to show the public to make everyone feel better.

None of our EMS providers in my region are FF/EMS. But, still very competent medics. Actually, the vast majority of our FF's are barely first aiders. But, I always feel better when I see them roll on scene. Especially when it comes to a few extra pairs of hands (not necessarily lift assist). But, as we found out this morning, none of them know how our stretcher works.

I guess if you have the money to spend on big toys though, might as well get as many of them as you can.

They aren't that rural, running hot maybe 15 minutes from one of the best hospitals in the state. That bigger one I believe is their heavy rescue that happens to double as an ambulance. They don't do any IFT's it's a volunteer response area and it's only EMT-B level so nearly no medical supplies are needed. In a volunteer area like that I could see the benefit of only needing to staff 1 rig to have all your needs met rather than getting 2 guys on the ambulance plus an engine or rescue for the other equipment needed.

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
I guess it's true what I have always heard. You just can't hide money.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Just a waste of money. Hopefully the community that provides the money for this expensive crap is happily oblivious to the fact that actually do not even have ALS, that basically this is a high dollar taxi.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member

Scout

Para-Noid
hazmat?
heavy rescue?
MCI? has it got 4 cots? extra supplies for major incident?

medic417

The Truth Provider
hazmat?
heavy rescue?

No its just an ambulance. The actual patient compartment is not much bigger than a type one. It actually has very little supplies as it is only BLS.

Oh and before I forget just for karaya its a waste of money.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
I don't think we've seen anything that clearly identifies just how this truck is used. On their web-site both ambulances are labeled as Rescue. So my guess is these are double duty rigs? Since they are volunteer, you can load up an EMS crew along with rescue and head to the accident scene. Extrication equipment is there with the ambulance. This type of setup is not completely unheard of.

But these guys have got some money! A very well funded volunteer organization indeed. They have millions of dollars worth of pumpers, rescue trucks, a huge squad truck and a 102' ladder tower.

A rich history with what seems to be strong community support.

Last edited by a moderator:

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Enough speculation, I fired off an e-mail to them tonight to see what they say about it. I'll post any reply I get.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.

TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant
Thats actually about the size of my towns Old Rescue truck from what I've been told.

Our new one I've posted on here before, Its a good deal bigger then that with a Patient Care compartment used primarily for PT Care and Rehab of Firefighters and EMS personnel on large scale scenes. Its also got a Mobile Command Center used to dispatch out ambulances and for comms during MCI's. Not to mention it carries all of our Heavy Rescue Equipment, Rope Rescue Equipment and a SCBA Re-filling station on board.

Ours rolls fairly often and it gets its use, Even for a Volly squad. We are very proud of it within our town, and the surrounding towns.

No its just an ambulance. The actual patient compartment is not much bigger than a type one. It actually has very little supplies as it is only BLS.

Oh and before I forget just for karaya its a waste of money.

And wow, Your just a freaking downer aren't you? So because it doesn't have the Label of ALS anywhere on it, or a few more supplies that you consider to be necessary its therefore labeled as a waste of money?

Usually these items are used to run rescue tools on Highways for large scale MVA's, which believe it or not, happen ALOT! And theres no need for ALS supplies aboard, because what do you know, ALS is already on scene by the time the PT's are extricated, boarded, collared, and loaded into the rig, ALS Does their assessment in the back of the truck and the rig rolls.

The other use for these Heavy Rescues are as Mobile Command Centers/Rehab Units during MCI's. Again, NO NEED FOR ALS ITEMS! So yet again its proven its worth. Just because you don't see a use for it doesn't mean no one has a use for it. As I stated above we use ours VERY often and it gets the job done perfectly.

hazmat?
heavy rescue?

From the looks of it, It probably has the same equipment ours has, Of Course they could have packed it very differently, but this is just a guess based on our own Rescue.

Its used for heavy rescue, so it has all the rescue equipment, Since they are an FD they may have HazMat Gear aboard also, Ours doesn't yet it has Rope Rescue gear and a Mobile Command Center.

4 cots? I wouldn't go that far, Probably one regular Cot, and a Bench Cot. Definitely has extra supplies, Probably around 10-15 Backboards, boxes of Collars, Large quantities of O2 bottles, maybe an SCBA Filling station for Fire jobs.

Again this is mostly speculation based upon my own rescue and the similarities between the two.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
Thats actually about the size of my towns Old Rescue truck from what I've been told.

Our new one I've posted on here before, Its a good deal bigger then that with a Patient Care compartment used primarily for PT Care and Rehab of Firefighters and EMS personnel on large scale scenes. Its also got a Mobile Command Center used to dispatch out ambulances and for comms during MCI's. Not to mention it carries all of our Heavy Rescue Equipment, Rope Rescue Equipment and a SCBA Re-filling station on board.

Ours rolls fairly often and it gets its use, Even for a Volly squad. We are very proud of it within our town, and the surrounding towns.

And wow, Your just a freaking downer aren't you? So because it doesn't have the Label of ALS anywhere on it, or a few more supplies that you consider to be necessary its therefore labeled as a waste of money?

Usually these items are used to run rescue tools on Highways for large scale MVA's, which believe it or not, happen ALOT! And theres no need for ALS supplies aboard, because what do you know, ALS is already on scene by the time the PT's are extricated, boarded, collared, and loaded into the rig, ALS Does their assessment in the back of the truck and the rig rolls.

The other use for these Heavy Rescues are as Mobile Command Centers/Rehab Units during MCI's. Again, NO NEED FOR ALS ITEMS! So yet again its proven its worth. Just because you don't see a use for it doesn't mean no one has a use for it. As I stated above we use ours VERY often and it gets the job done perfectly.

Thank you have a nice day. I will disagree about the ALS need and even the truck need but will not waste my time with more detail.