Big Ambulance!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
That's the problem. It isn't equipped to do the job. Apparently, it's equipped to do everything except the job, lol.

It's equipped to do the job they want it to, but not the one you want it to...

HasTy

Forum Lieutenant
Darn you beat me to it...I have to say it sounds like it is equipped to do just about everything....

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Hey just because they have to have 4 mechanical sirens does not mean that they are whackers...they have a lot of community support that's a great thing granted I feel like there has to be some better way to provide a service than big rigs but you know something if it is equipped to do the job then who are we to tell them they cant have there big shiny toys.
I just looked at their apparatus photos. We see 4 Federal Signal Q-Style siren grilles, 2 of which appear to be Q2B's mounted on top of the bumper. I've never seen multiple mechanical sirens on a truck - does anyone have any real-life experience with this and how they would be used? (powered together or alternating?).

The flush-mounted grilles on the bumper could VERY likely be the grilles that Federal Signal sells for the Electronic Q siren mounted over "standard" electronic siren speakers. Given that several of their other engines are configured with dual mechanical sirens and dual siren speakers for electronic siren(s), this would make sense, right?

That said - seems like an awful lot of sirens... but it isn't my truck, so I'm sure they had SOME reason for specing the apparatus that way.

That being said - we are an EMS forum, not a Fire forum - let's stick to the large-scale ambulance.

From what Karaya says, they seem to have justified the purchase to themselves, and likely their fundraising base - who are the most important ones, because they'll decide if the company can get another when they need to replace this one!

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
OK, I had to blink a few times after I saw that website...

The world needs that Rescue/Ambulance like a fat kid needs cake.
Seems a bit extreme...then again so does most of the apparatus.

I'm glad they can justify it, because I sure can't.
Either from a size standpoint or from a multiple siren standpoint.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
OK, I had to blink a few times after I saw that website...

The world needs that Rescue/Ambulance like a fat kid needs cake.
Seems a bit extreme...then again so does most of the apparatus.

I'm glad they can justify it, because I sure can't.
Either from a size standpoint or from a multiple siren standpoint.

You must have missed my earlier post that went into some detail as to how that truck was speced out. It functions more than just an ambulance. As far as the multiple mechanical sirens, that is on their Squad truck and not Rescue 40, which is the ambulance we are reviewing here. Rescue 40 has a mechanical siren combined with electronics; not uncommon at all.

I have to admit, I too am scratching my head about the four mechanical sirens on their squad truck and I may call my source up there again and inquire about that.

ILemt

Forum Lieutenant
You must have missed my earlier post that went into some detail as to how that truck was speced out. It functions more than just an ambulance. As far as the multiple mechanical sirens, that is on their Squad truck and not Rescue 40, which is the ambulance we are reviewing here. Rescue 40 has a mechanical siren combined with electronics; not uncommon at all.

I have to admit, I too am scratching my head about the four mechanical sirens on their squad truck and I may call my source up there again and inquire about that.

No I didn't miss the fact it's multi-duty, that's why I said "rescue/ ambulance"
Something that large is however excessive.

As to the sirens I didn't specify mechanical vs electric. I just said I didn't see the need for more then one.

So in my opinion, they require a single mechanical, or a single electric. Not both. I also don't see the need for the automated bell.

... But in the end, I stand by what I said: I'm glad they can justify it and I am thrilled at the level of community support they enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

DevilDuckie

Forum Crew Member
Do you know how much a Q Siren costs?

Why in the world would you need to be so loud? That's almost the most asinine thing I've ever heard of. OMG... Complete waste of $11875.75 (I priced their siren/bell/roto-ray set up). That's what, three AED's? A couple weeks in wages?

Whether they raised the funds on their own, or not, that is a grossly negligent use of funding.

HasTy

Forum Lieutenant
It might be a grossly negligent use of funding but if it was raised on there own and none of the towns folk are questioning it then let them do as they choose personally I think that that set up is better than using the funds to put an engine on a Peterbilt chassis.

DevilDuckie

Forum Crew Member
$11875.75.. on sirens.. is not acceptable.. That's just out of this world. Hopefully they don't ask for money too often.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
$11875.75.. on sirens.. is not acceptable.. That's just out of this world. Hopefully they don't ask for money too often.

Is not acceptable to who? You? So what? It's their money and their community that supports them. You behave as if the funds were coming out of your own pocket. I don't think I've seen so many arm chair "experts" as I have in this thread.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Is not acceptable to who? You? So what? It's their money and their community that supports them. You behave as if the funds were coming out of your own pocket. I don't think I've seen so many arm chair "experts" as I have in this thread.

I agree....People here can rant and rave about this all they want, but ultimately, that agency doesn't have to answer to any of us.

The only people they have to answer to is the people they serve...the same people that paid for it.

That rig does what they want it to do...and that's all that's important, regardless of how we feel about it.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Interesting how insults and name calling are acceptable from some members here without moderation.