Best Locations for Medic Students/Medics

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Alright. Here's my blah-blah personal considerations so if you want to just answer the question from a general standpoint, skip ahead;

I'm a 19 yo single female in CO. have had EMT-B for 1 yr, 2 yrs experience volunteer SAR, 1 yr experience as a non-certified medical assistant (primary task: pt. care) in a busy OB-GYN clinic and will have about 6 months EMT experience working at an amusement park (attendance peaks at 15,000+) by the end of this summer. 52 college credit hours with a 3.675 GPA - coursework in A&P, psych, nutrition, ethics, English, etc). Was pursuing nursing... still want my RN eventually, but for complicated reasons I've decided to take a break and get my medic.

So... I'm open to moving pretty much anywhere in the US, either for medic work alone, or for both p school and eventually work.

Any recommendations? Biases are cool, but you'll get double points if you can back up your opinions with facts.

Criteria:
-Progressive EMS system
-Cost of living vs. pay
-I like water and mountains. I don't think I would enjoy BFE Kansas, for example. I need some sort of natural playground.
-If I go to p-school out there, I will need to work simultaneously.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Wake County, NC

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I'm a 19 yo single female

TEXAS!!!!!!

Ok, ,serious now

Criteria:
-Progressive EMS system

Texas. Since it's one of 3 delagated practice states in the US, you really can't get more progressive.

-Cost of living vs. pay
Again, Texas. High wages, low cost of living.

-I like water and mountains. I don't think I would enjoy BFE Kansas, for example. I need some sort of natural playground.
NE Texas has hills, trees, and lakes. No mountains though.

-If I go to p-school out there, I will need to work simultaneously.
Texas.

Vizior

Forum Crew Member
I liked az every time I visited I liked it. They have both private and fire-based ems. And plenty of mountains out there to play on. Lots of flight services to get experience on.

As for cost of living, it's real cheap. I've considered moving out there and buying a house, because its so much cheaper than it would be to rent in NY.

I'm not too sure about -P school, but I know that there are programs out there.

Sasha

Forum Chief
TEXAS!!!!!!

Ok, ,serious now

Hands off, dude. Or we will have to sic an Alpaca on you.

Florida has some great EMS systems, but the schools just suck. But we have beaches. Beaches are fun. And well... it's closer to Argentina then Colorado!

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
TEXAS!!!!!!
I do have to second that recommendation for all the reasons Linuss listed, except for one: High wages? I sure haven't seen it. There are a handful of non-fire systems that pay decent wages, but they are extremely competitive, and often medic-only. :unsure:

Stellar non-fire employers include Austin-Travis County, Williamson County, Montgomery County, and Parker County. Unfortunately, like many other states, the urban areas are dominated by the fire service. Since you're more of an outdoorsperson, that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Texas has probably the highest concentration of Nationally Accredited paramedic schools of any state, so it is a superior choice for paramedic education.

Speaking of education, Texas also has a high concentration of nursing schools, compared to other states, even in the rural areas. Although the waiting lists are just as discouraging there as anywhere else.

I wasn't aware that there were only two other delegated practice states. I guess I've been spoiled. The professional practice atmosphere in a delegated practice state is simply night and day different from lame, restricted states like California, Arizona, and Pennsylvania. What are the other two states, Linuss?

Which brings us to what has to be said, and that is which states you do NOT want to move to. California, Florida, Arizona, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Louisiana.

States that have no income tax = Texas, Florida, and Nevada.

States that require a minimum of an Associates degree for paramedic practice: Kansas and Oregon.

Those are just a few things for your consideration. Of course, you should also consider this statistical truth:

Nurses make great medics. Medics make so-so nurses. Nursing education gives you a broad foundation of knowledge. Paramedic education gives you a very focused set of skills with very little foundational context. Going from paramedic to nurse is like putting the cart before the horse. It is a less than ideal progression that results in a less than ideal practitioner. If there is any way to do nursing first, that should be a priority consideration. And, of course, it is one heck of a lot easier to go to to paramedic school on a nurses salary and schedule than it is to go to nursing school on a paramedic salary and schedule. Unlike paramedic school, no nursing schools are set up for people working 24 hour shifts, or people who often do not get off of work on time. The nursing school flunk-out field is littered with bodies who were tossed for being late for clinicals because of an 0630 transfer.

Good luck!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
AJ, Texas, South Carolina, and Penn. from what I've been told.

Delegated practice, so far as Texas is concerned, means as an EMT-B/I/P, if a doctor wants you to do a procedure, even if it's out of your normal scope of practice, if they teach you and allow it, you can do it.

Theoretically, if they want you to perform open heart surgery in the field, and teach you how, they have the right to allow it as you are then using their medical license.

High wages? I sure haven't seen it.

I said it more for the lack of state income tax and VERY low cost of living (when compared to where I'm from; Michigan)

Last edited by a moderator:

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Move to Oregon. Depending on what part of the state you end up in, it can be about the same as Colorado weather-wise, albeit much wetter. Far as mountains and water go...can't really beat it for that. Toss in some deserts, high plains and coastal areas, and you're all set. The cost of living will vary depending on where you go, and can range from much less than in the metro areas of Colorado to a little higher. Overall it's less I'd say.

As far as EMS goes...can't complain. An associates is required for all paramedics, and there are multiple schools that are very good...and some that are very bad unfortunately. With only 2 exceptions all are based in community colleges; 1 hospital based, 1 private. System wise it's split fairly evenly between fire and private, with a couple of third-service and hospital based areas. Almost all tend to have fairly liberal protocols with limited on-line control. The pay also varies, but compared to some places it's pretty decent.

As far as working as a basic, there are several services that use them, most in a 911 role, and for the most part they are all in the same city, or close to a school that has a paramedic program.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Nurses make great medics. Medics make so-so nurses. Nursing education gives you a broad foundation of knowledge. Paramedic education gives you a very focused set of skills with very little foundational context. Going from paramedic to nurse is like putting the cart before the horse. It is a less than ideal progression that results in a less than ideal practitioner. If there is any way to do nursing first, that should be a priority consideration. And, of course, it is one heck of a lot easier to go to to paramedic school on a nurses salary and schedule than it is to go to nursing school on a paramedic salary and schedule. Unlike paramedic school, no nursing schools are set up for people working 24 hour shifts, or people who often do not get off of work on time. The nursing school flunk-out field is littered with bodies who were tossed for being late for clinicals because of an 0630 transfer.

Good luck!

AJ, I'm going to have to disagree with you here, bro. I believe that going nurse to paramedic is putting the cart before the horse. And here's why. Granted this depends on the state in which you live, but what makes a paramedic such an essential asset for credentials to a RN/RMT-P is the prehospital experience. It's not the skills taught to a paramedic, but it's the experience they have on the butt-crack side of the county with only one partner, limited protocols, limited equipment (if working) on a pt hell bent on dying on you, and you have to keep them alive.

Now this is going to be a rather long question, so bare with me. But... what nurse is going to go through nursing school, get a job working as a nurse while going through paramedic school, take a cut in pay working as a paramedic for the 3-5 years (yes it does take a while to get good experience to be of any benefit) to get the experience needed to improve their skills as a ER/ICU nurse or what-have-you, and risk hurting their back pulling yet another swamp donkey out of a ditch at 2am in the rain after they decided to take down a 12-pack and straighten out a curve? A nurse/medic who went nurse first, is (I'm sorry if you don't agree) kinda like a buried atheist. All dressed up with nowhere to go.

Lucid, you're doing fine, girl. If your life's path leads you to medic school first, great. Follow your path. Don't get me wrong. I love my state and I'm proud to be a delta boy. However, with your parameters you listed for possible moving destinations, I strongly suggest you avoid Mississippi at all costs. We are currently working on our plethera of issues, but we still have a very long way to go.

Good luck, hon.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
AJ, Texas, South Carolina, and Penn. from what I've been told.

Delegated practice, so far as Texas is concerned, means as an EMT-B/I/P, if a doctor wants you to do a procedure, even if it's out of your normal scope of practice, if they teach you and allow it, you can do it.

Theoretically, if they want you to perform open heart surgery in the field, and teach you how, they have the right to allow it as you are then using their medical license.

I would like to see and hear more about this because based on my personal experience, I have performed above and beyond the normal scope in states other than those mentioned, Alaska being one of them. We also taught and allowed other procedures for lower licensure levels as well.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I would like to see and hear more about this because based on my personal experience, I have performed above and beyond the normal scope in states other than those mentioned, Alaska being one of them. We also taught and allowed other procedures for lower licensure levels as well.

Did you perform open heart surgery? :p

OP
OP
LucidResq

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I've been doing a lot of research and Boston and King County, Washington keep coming up. Any comment on those areas?

King County sounds amazing, and I'm sure I meet their academic requirements, however I don't want to putz around gaining their minimum 3 years of prehospital experience.

And thank you all for the advice so far.

Sasha

Forum Chief

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Did you perform open heart surgery? :p

So the answer is you have no factual evidence or references of this...which is what I was asking for?

Buzz

Forum Captain
I said it more for the lack of state income tax and VERY low cost of living (when compared to where I'm from; Michigan)

The economy going to hell has pretty much made my cost of living go way down up here in the Metro Detroit area. ~$10.00 hour is allowing me to live quite comfortably. That is, of course, on a full time schedule though with an average of one overtime shift a month.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
The economy going to hell has pretty much made my cost of living go way down up here in the Metro Detroit area. ~$10.00 hour is allowing me to live quite comfortably. That is, of course, on a full time schedule though with an average of one overtime shift a month.

The problem is finding work in the Metro Detroit area. There is little to no job openings in the Metro-Detroit area for an EMT-B.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
So the answer is you have no factual evidence or references of this...which is what I was asking for?

And do you have any factual evidence to back up your claims that AK and other states you worked in are delegated practice states?

Thought so.

Buzz

Forum Captain
The problem is finding work in the Metro Detroit area. There is little to no job openings in the Metro-Detroit area for an EMT-B.

I live a bit more to the south east, and know that several companies frequently are hiring basics, especially if you happen to be in medic school. This is probably because most of the new hires work a few weeks then become the subject of "that one guy who ______" stories. They usually end up working for another service not long after disappearing from the schedule. I also see quite a few people I've worked with that are playing the musical ambulance company game. Their ability to do that suggests that it would be quite easy to obtain employment around here. I've also heard rumors of another Detroit EMS hiring cycle starting soon.

Note: I'm not suggesting by a long shot that Detroit is the place to work. I'd much rather work in a more relaxed setting where I don't have to worry about someone trying to hop into our truck while taking someone into Recieving.