Best Locations for Medic Students/Medics

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Ah, well, as long as it's an isolated case and doesn't spread to people like me. :)

Oh, it's not isolated, we're ALL a LITTLE out of our minds. Some more than others.... And, yes, it DOES spread, bwahahahahahhaha

Vizior

Forum Crew Member
Oh, it's not isolated, we're ALL a LITTLE out of our minds. Some more than others.... And, yes, it DOES spread, bwahahahahahhaha

Well, at least you all have some good company.

Elliot

Forum Probie
medic school

im currently in medic school located in nyc. I think there are pros and cons anywhere. However, some pros over here would include high pay( compared to anywhere else ) good experience and lots of programs to choose from.

if you need any info regarding medic school in nyc hit me up.

lots of luck!

firemedic7982

Forum Lieutenant
Im gonna have to go with Linuss on this one. Ive got friends that are medics all over the country. I myself have considered moving out of state before, and actually done research. And I have come to the conclusion that Texas is superior to most other states when it comes to EMS. Delegated practice, education, training, and wages are excellent for our profession in this state.

If you need advise on known and well RESPECTED, progressive, and agressive 911 agencies in the state here are a few. If you want info on anyone in particular pm me.

Cypress Creek EMS - Houston, TX
Montgomery County Hospital District EMS - Montgomery County, TX
Crosby EMS - Crosby, TX
Pearland EMS - Pearland, TX
Austin/Travis County EMS - Austin, TX
Medstar EMS - Dallas / Fort Worth, TX
Irving Fire/ EMS - Irving, TX
Plano Fire / EMS- Plano, TX
Harris County ESD 1, Houston, TX
Waller County EMS- Waller, TX

Many more...

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
ROFL! What is "respected" about Irving and Plano Fire? Their medics are patch-factory grads who were forced by their employer to attend, and operate in a Mother-may-I medical control system that has yet to lift itself out of the 1970s.

ESD-1 is in the news for the third time in a year for its unprofessional practices.

MedStar is a step-child of local government that is paid poorly and operates under SSM for the sole purpose of creating a high turnover rate so they don't ever have to pay any employee retirements.

Yes, Texas is a lot better off than most states when it comes to EMS. But they definitely have their share of problems too.

As for the Acadian thing, well, as previously mentioned, Louisiana is a bad place to work and a bad place to live in general. However, it is the place that you are most likely to get a good 911 EMS job with Acadian. But both EMS practice and education are always at least a decade behind the rest of the country there, so it is NOT where you want to get your education or begin your practice.

I think you would like Mississippi. The countryside is certainly not as scenic as Colorado. But if you're a beach person, it's quite pretty. The lifestyle is nicer and more laid back than Louisiana. Acadian has only gotten a foot hold there in the last couple years, since Katrina, but they do have 911 jobs there. Also, Mississippi has 7 nationally accredited paramedic schools. Louisiana has two. It's a no-brainer there.

Acadian has a couple smaller 911 contracts in South Texas, but they are very small. Mostly what they do in Texas is non-emergency transfers. Don't let them sucker you into one of those with empty promises of moving to 911 after awhile.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
AMR has the Collin County 911 contract. Collin county is just north of Dallas.

BTW-- MedStar is just Fort Worth and the surrounding non-fire cities, such as Burleson and Saginaw.

OP
OP
LucidResq

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
LA recruiter from Acadian called today. He was extremely nice and helpful.

Breakdown:
Looking for people for Baton Rouge and North Shore.
Starting $11.20
12 hr shifts
After 6 mo. of working there and essentially not being an f-up, they'll pay me to go to their p-school M-F 8-5. Like pay tuition, books, and salary.

Sounds enticing. My dad doesn't want me to go because he calls it the armpit of the US. I don't know. The Mississippi and TX recruiters should be calling soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
After 6 mo. of working there and essentially not being an f-up, they'll pay me to go to their p-school M-F 8-5. Like pay tuition, books, and salary.
I like Acadian. I really do. But their school is a lame patch factory. I've got a few friends who went that route and regret it.

Your dad is right.

OP
OP
LucidResq

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I like Acadian. I really do. But their school is a lame patch factory. I've got a few friends who went that route and regret it.

Your dad is right.

Screw this. I'm becoming a pirate.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
don't sign up for a 12 hour Baton Rogue truck, those are all transports with minimal 911.

EBR EMS handles all but the facility calls in the Parish. So your chances of jumping one are nil.

When I was there I thought the medicine was average for the rest of the country.

If you decide to work there, which I think is actually a good place for a start, make sure you spend some time at the station and ask the tough questions before you commit to the station. Also because the company is so large, different stations support different culture and personality types.

If you wind up at location that conflicts with your personality, views, you will have a very poor experience.

Living in Baton Rogue isn't bad, it is a small city, but it makes for a long drive to work. I wouldn't live out in the boonies where the station might be, there is nothing out there.

The income to cost of living was great. You can have nice things and still save too. Most Yankees live in basically a small "foreign" quarter" of the city, that is usually young professionals.

personally I love to travel and do so whenever possible, the main connection from BR airport is Bush in Houston, which will take you anywhere. As an EMT you will also be one of the highly educated of the state.

I would say there is a difference between getting experience and choosing a career place. Without experience it is hard to get a good career job, plus if you ony stay in one place it seriously limits your views.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
I recently heard a pretty attractive presentation from EMSA company out of Oklahoma City and Tulsa. It seemed like a really progressive program, management interested in their employees, in-house training to make them the best, and good technology.

I've also heard great things about Austin-Travis.

And of course, there's Seattle Washington, with their very progressive scope of practice and high quality paramedic program.

Those would be some of my choices, at this time, if I were willing to relocate.

cw15321

Forum Crew Member
EMSA company out of Oklahoma City and Tulsa. It seemed like a really progressive program, management interested in their employees, in-house training to make them the best, and good technology.

They seem to be linked to East Texas EMS and Sunstar in Florida. So are those two any different?

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
The same non-profit, hospital-based corporation manages all three of them. Interestingly, East Texas EMS is not just in East Texas. They started out there, but you'll find them in South and North Central Texas too. Not a bad outfit. But the Sunstar and EMSA operations are a lot different because they are the so-called "high performance" PUM type operations, with all the nonsense that comes with them.

The worst thing about EMSA -- besides the obvious suckage of a high-performance PUM -- is the simple fact that you'd be in Oklahoma. Nice place to visit, but quite possibly one of the most boring places on earth.

firemedic7982

Forum Lieutenant
ROFL! What is "respected" about Irving and Plano Fire? Their medics are patch-factory grads who were forced by their employer to attend, and operate in a Mother-may-I medical control system that has yet to lift itself out of the 1970s.

ESD-1 is in the news for the third time in a year for its unprofessional practices.

MedStar is a step-child of local government that is paid poorly and operates under SSM for the sole purpose of creating a high turnover rate so they don't ever have to pay any employee retirements.

Yes, Texas is a lot better off than most states when it comes to EMS. But they definitely have their share of problems too.

As for the Acadian thing, well, as previously mentioned, Louisiana is a bad place to work and a bad place to live in general. However, it is the place that you are most likely to get a good 911 EMS job with Acadian. But both EMS practice and education are always at least a decade behind the rest of the country there, so it is NOT where you want to get your education or begin your practice.

I think you would like Mississippi. The countryside is certainly not as scenic as Colorado. But if you're a beach person, it's quite pretty. The lifestyle is nicer and more laid back than Louisiana. Acadian has only gotten a foot hold there in the last couple years, since Katrina, but they do have 911 jobs there. Also, Mississippi has 7 nationally accredited paramedic schools. Louisiana has two. It's a no-brainer there.

Acadian has a couple smaller 911 contracts in South Texas, but they are very small. Mostly what they do in Texas is non-emergency transfers. Don't let them sucker you into one of those with empty promises of moving to 911 after awhile.

A little bitter about plano are we? What happened did you apply and not get hired? lol... Im just kidding don't get mad.

For someone that lives a little ways away you seem to have a lot to say about ESD-1. You must either have lived near, worked for, or have friends that work for them. Be that as it may, I work closely with them daily. Have a few very close friends that work for them, and know them very well. They may have some shady past... but find me an EMS service that doesnt. They are doing some awesome things right now.

- Disclaimer : I do not work For Harris County ESD 1-

ESD-1 catches a lot of media attention, but they are a great place to work. Theyve got some top notch medics, great protocols, pay is pretty darn good, and you cannot beat the schedule. Theyve got a brand new fleet, awesome equipment, and have just opened their own community clinic.

If you are looking to get a good deal of street smarts really quickly... it's a good place to be.