Best Locations for Medic Students/Medics

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I am hoping LucidResq will still want to further her education eventually. Choosing a location close to a great teaching hospital and university would be beneficial. Once you've chosen the area, you can establish residency for the in state tuition rates if you become ready to go back to college. You might also consider an employer that has tuition assistance regardless of your degree goals.

Louisiana has some really good universities for the health care professions. No, the EMT is not the most educated person in that state as someone mentioned earlier. In fact, except for EMS, a 4 year degree minimum is required as entry at most hospitals for the majority of health care professions.

If you have set higher goals for yourself, you can live and work just about anywhere to accomplish them. If you settle for a so-so job in an area that affords you little opportunity to enjoy life and to increase your education opportunities, you may become bored and frustrated quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:

firemedic7982

Forum Lieutenant
I really would like to practice in some other part of the country myself one day. I think it would be amazing to take my experiences from here, and gather new ones somewhere else.

NolaRabbit

Forum Crew Member
LA recruiter from Acadian called today. He was extremely nice and helpful.

Breakdown:
Looking for people for Baton Rouge and North Shore.
Starting $11.20
12 hr shifts
After 6 mo. of working there and essentially not being an f-up, they'll pay me to go to their p-school M-F 8-5. Like pay tuition, books, and salary.

Sounds enticing. My dad doesn't want me to go because he calls it the armpit of the US. I don't know. The Mississippi and TX recruiters should be calling soon.

I don't work for Acadian, but I would echo Venificus' sentiments about Baton Rouge and recommend looking into the North Shore. Acadian has an exclusive 911 contract with Slidell. Quality of life north of the lake is pretty good - suburban with some rural areas. Cost of living is less than in New Orleans, where I live and work.

Louisiana is MUCH different than Colorado (I spent 5 years in the Denver metro area, 13 years in New Orleans proper). You may love it, you may hate it. Take a trip down and see for yourself if you could see yourself living here and compare and contrast the positives and negatives.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about life in and out of EMS here. :)

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Louisiana has some really good universities for the health care professions. No, the EMT is not the most educated person in that state as someone mentioned earlier. In fact, except for EMS, a 4 year degree minimum is required as entry at most hospitals for the majority of health care professions.

I was referring to the general populous, not the healthcare community.

James 61

Forum Probie
I live in King County. If you want to be a medic, don't move here.

1- VERY expensive cost of living.
2- VERY competitive medic program.
3- ALL medics in King County are fire, with the exception of South King.
4- It's VERY expensive.
5- Did I mention it's expensive to live here?

I love Seattle, but I plan to get the heck out as soon as I can. Texas sounds appealing to me. :)

Come down to Clark Co. WA. No income tax, close to OR which has no sales tax plus the advanages of being close to a big city without the big city living. I love it here and have no plans of leaving again. Also we have a decent RN program at the community college and the ability to transfer to WSU Vancouver for the BSN and/or Masters Program.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
There is one more thing to consider especially with furthering your education in the future. The sciences and maths that you have already taken may be good for only 5 years in some states. That may seem like a long time now but it goes by quickly if you want to get your Paramedic cert, work in the profession and then find out there is a 2 - 3 year wait list for entry into some health care degree programs.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
A little bitter about plano are we? What happened did you apply and not get hired?
I got hired by the larger, better paying department nearby, so I didn't have to stoop that low. But I assume you share my opinion of Irving, since you didn't bother to defend them. I have nothing in particular against Plano. Every FD in Dallas County shares the exact same shortcomings in their EMS programs.

For someone that lives a little ways away you seem to have a lot to say about ESD-1. You must either have lived near, worked for, or have friends that work for them.
Sorry, I must have missed the memo that we weren't allowed to move to other states during our lifetimes. I lived many years in both the Houston and Dallas areas.

I work closely with them daily. Have a few very close friends that work for them, and know them very well. They may have some shady past... but find me an EMS service that doesnt. They are doing some awesome things right now.
I wasn't aware of any shadiness in Plano's past. I thought DFD and University Park had the monopoly on shadiness. But I also wasn't aware of any awesomeness in Plano either. Can you elaborate? Not that it matters, since the OP said she wants to be a medic, not a fireman.

ESD-1 catches a lot of media attention, but they are a great place to work. Theyve got some top notch medics, great protocols, pay is pretty darn good, and you cannot beat the schedule. Theyve got a brand new fleet, awesome equipment, and have just opened their own community clinic.
ESD-1 is the Mecca of EMS shadiness. It is the example that many in Texas hold up as proof that ESDs are a bad idea. But yeah, they have nice (although ugly) trucks. And their personnel should not all be judged by the shadiness of their management. Unfortunately, that's how it works in EMS. I'd certainly rather have them treating me than HFD (or DFD either, for that matter), that's for sure.

OP
OP
LucidResq

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I am hoping LucidResq will still want to further her education eventually. Choosing a location close to a great teaching hospital and university would be beneficial. Once you've chosen the area, you can establish residency for the in state tuition rates if you become ready to go back to college. You might also consider an employer that has tuition assistance regardless of your degree goals.

Absolutely. A big part of it is financial - although I basically support myself with some help from my dad, who makes very little money, I have to use my mom/stepdads tax information for FAFSA, and they get a lot of money for pensions and what not, but do not contribute a dime to me in any way shape or form. So I'm not getting jack from the gov. or my parents and working part-time is not enough to pay for school.

So I figure if I get my medic now, I can get some good experience, save up some cash, and get the money for school I deserve once I can apply for FAFSA as independent (have to be 24, married, have a dependent or military to do so)

Thanks for the advice, I hadn't thought of establishing residency. That's a big deal - I know tuition rates are outrageously higher for out-of-state students here.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
If you think it'll help, I'll marry you and be your dependent too.

What are friends for? ;)

OP
OP
LucidResq

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
If you think it'll help, I'll marry you and be your dependent too.

What are friends for? ;)

Sure. But you're being the suga' daddy.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmmm... I guess one of us is misunderstanding the meaning of the word "dependent", lol.

Too bad I'm already a nurse and medic. I could probably get some nice financial grants now that I'm disabled. Darn the timing.

OP
OP
LucidResq

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
:rolleyes: So I'm supposed to work full-time, go to p-school, pay for p-school, and buy you lots of pretty shoes and rub your back and make you chicken noodle soup?

No dice. I'm sticking with Sasha.

firemedic7982

Forum Lieutenant
I got hired by the larger, better paying department nearby, so I didn't have to stoop that low. But I assume you share my opinion of Irving, since you didn't bother to defend them. I have nothing in particular against Plano. Every FD in Dallas County shares the exact same shortcomings in their EMS programs.

Sorry, I must have missed the memo that we weren't allowed to move to other states during our lifetimes. I lived many years in both the Houston and Dallas areas.

I wasn't aware of any shadiness in Plano's past. I thought DFD and University Park had the monopoly on shadiness. But I also wasn't aware of any awesomeness in Plano either. Can you elaborate? Not that it matters, since the OP said she wants to be a medic, not a fireman.

ESD-1 is the Mecca of EMS shadiness. It is the example that many in Texas hold up as proof that ESDs are a bad idea. But yeah, they have nice (although ugly) trucks. And their personnel should not all be judged by the shadiness of their management. Unfortunately, that's how it works in EMS. I'd certainly rather have them treating me than HFD (or DFD either, for that matter), that's for sure.

*Bites toungue, and agrees on the HFD part*