being a women in ems..

Infinity

Forum Crew Member
im curious if physical appearance will make a difference in getting hired? now , im not like a lift assist or something but being a women in ems i feel im almost put to a different standard... of appearance and competency... is it harder for a women to get hired (either personally or if you were to hire someone). i know this is a male dominated profession so im just curious if i will get wait listed because i was up against a 6'4 bodybuilder and im like 5'2 on a good day when its not raining. be honest dont be politically correct because we all know we arnt:beerchug:.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Firefighting is a male-dominated profession; EMS not so much. You'll be fine.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
im curious if physical appearance will make a difference in getting hired? now , im not like a lift assist or something but being a women in ems i feel im almost put to a different standard... of appearance and competency... is it harder for a women to get hired (either personally or if you were to hire someone). i know this is a male dominated profession so im just curious if i will get wait listed because i was up against a 6'4 bodybuilder and im like 5'2 on a good day when its not raining. be honest dont be politically correct because we all know we arnt:beerchug:.

My last ft station had more women than men. At one point our first out truck had to be a mixed gender crew. Same for some surrounding areas as well.

The important thing is to know your limits and limitations(stretcher ,stairchair as an example) I have worked with a few tiny women who ended up injuring themselves trying to keep up with guys over 6ft and 220+lbs on lifts and whatnot because they refused to call for a lift assist. There are also pt populations that react much better to female providers.

not saying this applies to you but I hate to see people injured for something completely preventable.

As long as you meet the minimum fit requirements your gender, size, shape, etc shouldn't be a factor.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
Actually it seems that women and men work well together in ems.
Women have good compassion. However I've seen men with wonderful bed side manner.
Women and men seem to equal out the rig for some reason.
I don't see a problem..

The only difference I've noticed is as a woman I get a bit spoiled by the men

OP
OP
I

Infinity

Forum Crew Member
Women have good compassion. However I've seen men with wonderful bed side manner.
I don't see a problem..

i hope its like that with me! my school was connected with an amr facility and a lot of the guys were very cocky but the majority were new medics so they were " gods right hand" as one dude told me.... :glare: anways im glad to hear that its positive!

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Females are a protected class. If anything, being female will help you in the hiring process.

Edit: EMS is certainly not the land of fit people. I wouldn't worry too much about physical appearances. Just be ready to pass a physical and lifting test

Last edited by a moderator:

Anjel

Forum Angel
If your skills are good and you can lift, there shouldn't be a problem. I've never had anyone say anything about being a dude or dudette.

My partner is a guy, I'm a girl. We get a long great. But I'm expected to pull my weight which I do. Where I work most crews are male/female and we all work great together.

They only way women get on anyone's bad side is by not being able to lift.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

I wouldn't worry, some places are close to half and half it seems. Also not to be that guy but I wouldn't refer to myself in the plural, someone might you think you have multiple personality disorder or something...:D

I don't see a problem..

That is a very sweeping generalization. Not every woman has any compassion at all, which is something obviously seen at many ambulance services where burnout is prevalent.

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member

Hello infinity, :)

I'm a female and I just got hired today! I was up against 8 other men all with a background in fire. I'm 5'3 and during the skills test I did everything they could do (vitals, lifting 200lbs w/ a partner, etc.) of course I initially had the same thoughts as you did but I just went in and did what I was taught! You'll do great as long as you have confidence in yourself. Plus employers know that female EMT's are needed, especially when a female Emt is needed for female sensitive cases.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Like she said . (Congrats Easternemt).

On the job, remember (especially when your co-workers and/or partners are significantly taller than you) if the patient or load is raised on their end, the weight shifts to yours, and the head end is often much heavier unless balanced with gear like O2 etc.

Someone start a thread about and for females and their co-workers regarding hints tips and observations. Heck, you could start a website on that.

Sidebar: I was at Offutt AFB Fire-Rescue when they received their first two female firefighters in 1979. Both bailed out preggers before their first year was done. Glad things have advanced in civilian life, although I know nothing about the current situation in the military fire or EMS services.

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
To go along with everyone else I have never really seen a preference in the 3 places that I work for.

My first partner was a female (no pun intended) and I really enjoyed having her balance on the truck, she had a different perspective on things a lot of times and that was nice. She couldn't lift as good as other females that I have worked with but we made it and there were other issues (she brought home issues to work) I also found myself being way more protective which in some ways caused me more stress, I would not let her ride any psych, drunks, mean dudes.....Conversely she rode most of the female complaint calls.

In short I really enjoy having a female partner and am seeing a shift in a lot of the new guys to this as well, I just released a female that can lift like any guy, is good to work with and doesn't have any drama. The guys love working with her.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
I wouldn't worry, some places are close to half and half it seems. Also not to be that guy but I wouldn't refer to myself in the plural, someone might you think you have multiple personality disorder or something...:D

That is a very sweeping generalization. Not every woman has any compassion at all, which is something obviously seen at many ambulance services where burnout is prevalent.

Geez Tigger. Nit pick?

When hiring they will look at women as mothering, nurturing , compassionate for children etc . Not all women will have these qualities. Just like not all men will spoil the women in ems.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
When hiring they will look at women as mothering, nurturing , compassionate for children etc . Not all women will have these qualities. Just like not all men will spoil the women in ems.

You sure like those sweeping generalizations. Are you part of a hiring board?

mycrofft

Just being intentionally obtuse:

Geez Tigger. Nit pick?

Just dress like this for the interview:

madonna-and-child-il-sassoferrato.jpg

Tell them you're just watching the kid for your sister, so they don't think you'll have baby-sitter or breast-pump issues.

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member
Just dress like this for the interview:

madonna-and-child-il-sassoferrato.jpg

Tell them you're just watching the kid for your sister, so they don't think you'll have baby-sitter or breast-pump issues.

Hahaha I was dressed like that pretty much....check out my profile pic mycrofft :p

mycrofft

mycrofft

hogdweeb

Forum Crew Member
I would much rather have a female partner. Every time I dont work with one..I seem to get a call where a female would be better suited for it.

As for the hiring process... I applied three times to where i am now before getting called for an interview. 3 or 4 Females all got jobs before and applied after me. I'm sure part of it has to do with who is in charge of the hiring, then again, some of the men on my service I sure as hell wouldnt want anywhere near me when I need help the most.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Geez Tigger. Nit pick?

Not exactly helping things here.