Bag Valve Mask on the NREMT

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
whats wrong with letting the athlete hold the nrb in his hand and takes a few sips from it? i know if i were just racing around i wouldn't want a canula up my nose or even a nrb rubber band over my ears.

but then again what do i know... i'm still just a student...

Why give him O2 at all? Why not, you know just let them breath the normal air (21% O2). Nothing in that assessment says that the patient needs any supplemental oxygen.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
i would have chosen 15lpm via non-rebreather

For testing purposes I agree. In real life, look at your patient.

For practical exams I've always used the line "I'll start with an NRB and if they don't improve quickly I'm going to switch to a BVM".

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Why not get an SPO² reading to assess his sats?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
but then again what do i know... i'm still just a student...

Since you're a student, why not do a search for "unnecessary oxygen EMS". Use your search engine of choice. Google Scholar will give you a few good hits.

Now is the time to start furthering your education beyond the pablum that is fed to new EMTs.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
None of us considered anything, because there's not enough information given to determine what, if anything, may be the issue.

I think the patient needs to have RSI. I mean it's the only way to truly control his airway and breathing rate :p

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Does the scenario even specify the pt IS an athlete?
No.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I was wondering how I should handle a question like the one that follows:

You arrive at the scene of a track meet, where your patient, a 20 year old male complains of shortness of breath. He is breathing at 24 times a minute with good tidal volume. How do give o2?

A. Non reabreather
B. Nasal Cannula
C. BVM
D. FROPVD

I would say A, but since he is breathing at a slightly higher rate would you need to bag him?

I made that question up, not a test question.

Generally healthy pt, with no hx, rx, or allergies?

EMTFozzy

Forum Crew Member
Ok quick question just about general O2. In EMT-B they teach ya to ALMOST O2 everyone. They say you have it give it. Now that I'm in my Paramedic class, we learn that too much O2 is not good! Why don't they teach too much O2 is not good in EMT-B?

Melmd

Forum Crew Member
Ok quick question just about general O2. In EMT-B they teach ya to ALMOST O2 everyone. They say you have it give it. Now that I'm in my Paramedic class, we learn that too much O2 is not good! Why don't they teach too much O2 is not good in EMT-B?

They've been changing some study guideline lately ( O2 free radicals stuff) and slowly implementing it, and soon it will be on the national registry.

EMTFozzy

Forum Crew Member
Nice! Once I entered my EMT-P program they said and stressed and explained why not every pt needs O2 and the complications of too much O2!

Milla3P

Forum Lieutenant
O2 treats hypoxia, not breathlessness. Coach his breathing and take an SpO2. Unless there's a CO issue, then get a Rad 47 and a hyperbaric. Something about being 600x more willing to bind with hemoglobin...

Nobody gets O2. It's probably easier to get narcotics from me than O2.

My instructor/partner would say "How many times have you walked into a supermarket and said to yourself 'Holy Crap! Look at that guy breathe!'" That guy gets O2. For most lung sounds you don't need a scope, either. If you can't hear LS from outside the house their not that bad.

Monkadelic

Forum Probie
i been taking the tests in that "success for the EMT" workbook that came with my brady 12th edition; but it is based off 10th edition stuff, and i missed that type of question the answer that book had was BVM because his respirations was over 20; i initially put NRB @15 but i was wrong; i realized them old books dont do any good helping you for current registry when i was missing blatant questions based off old scales; heres an example; contraindication of admin of NTG is BP of 90-100 or under 100 in the new edition so i put less than 100 for an answer; i got it wrong the answer was under 90. i just hope they change the test bank each year to match up with new curriculums since this year is all about trauma.( the medic students all failed our module exam lol- they gave it to them before they started their trauma part of medic)