Bad Day just gets worse.

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
Thoughts and prayers for you. Have you tried contacting the companies that distribute these medications? Some have resources for those that have no insurance or trouble paying for medications. They do help. Also have you contacted the billing department at the place you are having your procedures done? I know they help people in your position to write off some of these or all of your bills. I have talked about this before and was wondering if you have checked into this. I know it will lift alot of stress off you and your family. Please check into this. I know personally, it helps.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
So feeln a lil sick today blah.. They gave me a new script for zofran and when I went to have it filled they told me it was $2400 and i said screw that.. they said generic was $500 and i said still screw you lol.. The benefit my sisters are having for me is tomorrow and hopefully it will be a good turn out.. Again I want to thank those that have helped using paypal.. Yall are wonderful people...

Hope everyone has a wonderful and safe weekend..

911, get zofran on board, AMA? Not sure how much it cost where you live but since we're fire medics here, it's free... But its the sad reality of what you have to do to survive...

OP
OP
E

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Good morning emtlife. After a fitfull nights sleep due to nausea and acid reflux I decided to get up early. I have contacted the billing dept at the hospital where I am doing treatments. They have knocked off 20 of my bill so far. Each one of my stays costs around 10 grand and that is just the hospital stay. One drug company did approve me for a drug that they will send me for nausea but its for days that I am actually in chemo. The drug is emend and this past treatment was my first one with it and I can't really say I noticed much of a difference in my level of nausea. Right now I have no appetite and everything I eat or drink is tasteless. I went into the hospital monday weighing 228 and left friday weighing 218. If nothing else this chemo will get me down to my ideal goal lol.. Hope everyone has a great day. I will hopefully have some pics up of my benefit this evening.

Take care,
Travis

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Good morning emtlife. After a fitfull nights sleep due to nausea and acid reflux I decided to get up early. I have contacted the billing dept at the hospital where I am doing treatments. They have knocked off 20 of my bill so far. Each one of my stays costs around 10 grand and that is just the hospital stay. One drug company did approve me for a drug that they will send me for nausea but its for days that I am actually in chemo. The drug is emend and this past treatment was my first one with it and I can't really say I noticed much of a difference in my level of nausea. Right now I have no appetite and everything I eat or drink is tasteless. I went into the hospital monday weighing 228 and left friday weighing 218. If nothing else this chemo will get me down to my ideal goal lol.. Hope everyone has a great day. I will hopefully have some pics up of my benefit this evening.

Take care,
Travis
Hang in there. Take it one day at a time.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Take care,
Travis

If you are paying out of pocket for this, jump a flight to this side of the pond. The airfare is less than 1/2 the cost of yor zofran script.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
What about med marijuana?

OP
OP
E

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Well home from my benefit. Had a good time seeing friends and family that I have not seen in forever. Not as many people showed as we would of liked but every little bit helps. I was unfortunately made to get up and do karaoke blah lol.. Hope everyone had a wonderful sunday.

OP
OP
E

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Hello emtlife,
Its been a lil wile since I posted on here. As I type this im in my 3rd day of my 3rd round of chemo and boy has hit sucked. I have been vomiting since monday because of the chemo. My first 2 rounds I only got sick once but this round is really taking its toll on me. Doesn't seem to matter what I eat or drink I still end up getting sick. They still have me on emend, zofran, compazine, and ativan but for some reason I still have bad nausea and get sick. Hoping everyone had a wonderful thanksgiving with their loved ones as I did..

Take care,
Travis

ShannahQuilts

Forum Crew Member
Thank you for keeping us posted! I hope your nausea subsides really soon. It sounds pretty awful. How are things going other than the chemo?

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello emtlife,
Its been a lil wile since I posted on here. As I type this im in my 3rd day of my 3rd round of chemo and boy has hit sucked. I have been vomiting since monday because of the chemo. My first 2 rounds I only got sick once but this round is really taking its toll on me. Doesn't seem to matter what I eat or drink I still end up getting sick. They still have me on emend, zofran, compazine, and ativan but for some reason I still have bad nausea and get sick. Hoping everyone had a wonderful thanksgiving with their loved ones as I did..

Hey Travis, do you mind if I ask how many rounds of chemo they are planning for you before they stop to wait it out? I think it's important they give you a goal to look forward to. Also, know that when you get off of chemo every day is going to feel like the best day of your life, so hold on, keep your weight up as best you can (seriously, even if you needed to lose weight before, losing it because of chemo isn't what you want to do), and take every step you can think of to stay as healthy as possible through the chemo.

Good luck!

OP
OP
E

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Hey Travis, do you mind if I ask how many rounds of chemo they are planning for you before they stop to wait it out? I think it's important they give you a goal to look forward to. Also, know that when you get off of chemo every day is going to feel like the best day of your life, so hold on, keep your weight up as best you can (seriously, even if you needed to lose weight before, losing it because of chemo isn't what you want to do), and take every step you can think of to stay as healthy as possible through the chemo.

Good luck!

As of right now they are planning on 4 rounds of chemo. Today is the last day of my 3rd round and this round has just got me down. They are starting my chemo early today since I get to go home and i'm happy about that. I asked my Dr yesterday if they had planned on doing any scans to see how the chemo was working but he said not til after my 4th round is done. I'm just hoping the chemo takes care of everything. If anyone has anyone questions i'll be glad to answer any questions. Hope everyone had a great night.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Thanks for the update. Keep your head up. Your always in our thoughts.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Listen to the funny creature in the orange jumpsuit and cat in the hat hat ...

Green and phytochemicals cure cancer, but they don't want you to know that so its not out yet!

OP
OP
E

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Listen to the funny creature in the orange jumpsuit and cat in the hat hat ...

Green and phytochemicals cure cancer, but they don't want you to know that so its not out yet!

How about you send me some of those yummy drugs to get rid of this lol. So i've been home since lastnight and still can't seem to keep anything down even with the zofran, ativan, compazine and fenagryn *sp*? Been sipping on some gatorade but it doesnt even like to stay down. Though about trying some crackers since I know they do help with an upset stomach when being sick.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Travis

ShannahQuilts

Forum Crew Member
I've been told to stay on water and soda crackers until my stomach can deal with that, then to go on to BRAT: Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast. (Plain white toast, nothing exotic.)

I understand that Gatorade has electrolytes, but it's also pretty sugary. Can you dilute it 50/50 with water?

I'd recommend continuing to check yourself for dehydration, and going in for an IV if you start getting dehydrated.

I'm sorry you're having such an awful time, but I'm hoping you'll feel better soon.

Sassafras

Forum Captain
Try nibbeling on ginger snaps. Ginger is known to be an antinauseant, and when I had hyperemesis when pregnant (landed in hospital multiple times) it was one of the few things I could keep down.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The gingersnaps is actually a pretty good idea. Do not discount the advice of formerly pregnant women. Often, they've figured out what they can keep down when they start feeling ill...

Also, Gatorade, if you dilute it to where it tastes pretty weak, but still a little sweet, is absorbable as water is. You might still not be able to keep it down though, if you're unable to keep water down. Gatorade that you buy in the store is more concentrated than it should be. However, at the correct dilution, it doesn't taste all that great.