Austin Travis County EMS hiring Paramedics and paying them as Basics

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
From my friend that works there: "plentiful"

As a Medic I they pulled down like 70k but that's with a lot of OT.

The good thing is that eventually you should get raises and promotions ...unlike privates were you sometimes never get a raise

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
The good thing is that eventually you should get raises and promotions ...unlike privates were you sometimes never get a raise

I've seen a spreadsheet indicating pay levels based on years of experienced for each position, but I've never been able to find it again. Basically, your pay increases the longer you are on-board, and as you are promoted. Don't there are any "personal" raises though, as it is a government system.

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
I've seen a spreadsheet indicating pay levels based on years of experienced for each position, but I've never been able to find it again. Basically, your pay increases the longer you are on-board, and as you are promoted. Don't there are any "personal" raises though, as it is a government system.

So experience meaning years in service with their agency. Not years experience you personally have as a medic

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

I work for a private under a P.U.M. and we have an established pay raise structure. With differentials as an FTO and 5 years of service for us medics can pull around 70k base provided they consistently have a trainee.

We don't count years of experience from other agencies either.

I'd be interested to know what Medic I/IIs top out at. We're in the 23.5x/hr range at the top end before FTO, Preceptor or Community Health Paramedic differentials. Comes out to 63,xxx/year base plus benefits.

Last edited by a moderator:

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
I work for a private under a P.U.M. and we have an established pay raise structure. With differentials as an FTO and 5 years of service for us medics can pull around 70k base provided they consistently have a trainee.

We don't count years of experience from other agencies either.

I'd be interested to know what Medic I/IIs top out at. We're in the 23.5x/hr range at the top end before FTO, Preceptor or Community Health Paramedic differentials. Comes out to 63,xxx/year base plus benefits.

Whats PUM?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Interesting. Our range for starting medics,Paramedic 1, is 19.38 - 26.18. P2 tops out at 29.91, P3 at 31.76. FTO adds an additional 1.20/hour. (Not much, but lots of overtime.) Supervisors top end is 33.67.

See why this is such a decent place to work? No sales tax, low cost of living. Decent money and a promotional ladder.

We're not currently hiring, but applications are being accepted for the next round.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Just wanted to clear a few minor things up.

-It is a 48 hour work week made up of 24s and 12s (any combination adding up to 48 hours). Once you are finished with the academy you will bid on available shifts (so probably a lot of 12s for new guys, though Travis County is huge so I am sure there are 24s available).

-You can view pay tables here http://austintexas.gov/hr/jobdesc/job_title_pay.cfm (type in "medic" in the search bar)

-The academy is now 6 weeks, Monday through Friday.

If anyone has general questions I can try to answer them. PM me or ask on here.

Last edited by a moderator:

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Interesting. Our range for starting medics,Paramedic 1, is 19.38 - 26.18. P2 tops out at 29.91, P3 at 31.76. FTO adds an additional 1.20/hour. (Not much, but lots of overtime.) Supervisors top end is 33.67.

See why this is such a decent place to work? No sales tax, low cost of living. Decent money and a promotional ladder.

We're not currently hiring, but applications are being accepted for the next round.

Don't places without income taxes have higher sales taxes and luxury taxes? (i know that Texas does this, I think)

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Sales tax is typically 8.25% in Texas. What is it elsewhere?

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Isn't it zero for food here? Excluding restaurants that is.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't places without income taxes have higher sales taxes and luxury taxes? (i know that Texas does this, I think)

Usually, states get their money one way or another. It is still nicer to have a bigger paycheck at the end of the week though. Also with cost of living lower (once out of the city) than a lot of the country it works out pretty nice.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Usually, states get their money one way or another. It is still nicer to have a bigger paycheck at the end of the week though. Also with cost of living lower (once out of the city) than a lot of the country it works out pretty nice.
I have the best of both worlds. No state tax out of my paycheck and I buy stuff online or in NM where taxes are lower

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Cost of living in the country can actually be bigger at times. My county housing is scarce with the oil boom, so apartments are more there than in Albuquerque

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
A public utility model. Private service contracted to a city to provide EMS.

Sort of, there's more to it than that.

You drive a hard bargain about where you work sir.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Cost of living in the country can actually be bigger at times. My county housing is scarce with the oil boom, so apartments are more there than in Albuquerque

Yeah I guess that's true at times. If it came down to it though I would rather pay a little extra to live out in the country.