Austin Travis County EMS hiring Paramedics and paying them as Basics

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Three thoughts.

1. A/TC is a better agency than most

2. A/TC is very intent on telling you they're a better agency than most

3. A/TC's protocols seem to be built more around an urban perspective and it's expected if you're out in the boonies (there's still small parts of Travis County that are) you'll call StarFlight for both transport time and expanded level of care.

As for hiring medics as basics, it's a civil service thing. My SWAG is when they restructured they did it with a civil service board in mind and felt they had to stratify levels somehow, even if it was highly arbitrary.

Last edited by a moderator:

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Three thoughts.

1. A/TC is a better agency than most

2. A/TC is very intent on telling you they're a better agency than most

3. A/TC's protocols seem to be built more around an urban perspective and it's expected if you're out in the boonies (there's still small parts of Travis County that are) you'll call StarFlight for both transport time and expanded level of care.

As for hiring medics as basics, it's a civil service thing. My SWAG is when they restructured they did it with a civil service board in mind and felt they had to stratify levels somehow, even if it was highly arbitrary.

Once they hire you...how long is Orientation before you hit the field as Medic1

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Orientation used to be 13wks I think. I'm not sure if they cut that down since you're only working at an EMT level, now.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I don't think they did. Maybe a little but there's a pretty solid academy to their hiring process from what I'm told. Up to and including swimming for part of it if I remember correctly. Seems harmless to me but I grew up in the water, not everyone has water confidence.

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
I don't think they did. Maybe a little but there's a pretty solid academy to their hiring process from what I'm told. Up to and including swimming for part of it if I remember correctly. Seems harmless to me but I grew up in the water, not everyone has water confidence.

How much money can you expect to make during academy... Any OT??

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
When I was talking to some higher-ups at ATCEMS I was told that, realistically, I would need to take off a semester of college in order to complete the Academy and orientation process. Not sure if this is described on their website, but do note that their is an "Academy" and an "Orientation", where you have a preceptor and such. This lasts a good half a year if not longer. The Academy, as yall said, is a few months. Intensive enough, however, to prevent a full-time semester.

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
When I was talking to some higher-ups at ATCEMS I was told that, realistically, I would need to take off a semester of college in order to complete the Academy and orientation process. Not sure if this is described on their website, but do note that their is an "Academy" and an "Orientation", where you have a preceptor and such. This lasts a good half a year if not longer. The Academy, as yall said, is a few months. Intensive enough, however, to prevent a full-time semester.

I'm assuming no OT at this point huh? I'm just trying to figure out if I could even afford it... Otherwise I'm better off staying in LA area

Angel

Paramedic
and whats the pay after the orientation? I have a hard time even considering working for a place that would put me through a second internship. new or not, i didn't do all that for nothing and find it almost insulting. IMO it shouldnt take 3 months to figure out if you can do the job or not

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
and whats the pay after the orientation? I have a hard time even considering working for a place that would put me through a second internship. new or not, i didn't do all that for nothing and find it almost insulting. IMO it shouldnt take 3 months to figure out if you can do the job or not

If you're a medic it's more like a year or more before yiy promote to ALS

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
it says right on their site starting pay is $15.35 and you will work a 48 hour work week. Not sure how much the pay is once you are promoted as a medic.

This cycle of applications is due on the 6th I believe, and the process goes throughout the summer with an academy start date in August if I am not mistaken. (to lazy to look around site right now.)

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
it says right on their site starting pay is $15.35 and you will work a 48 hour work week. Not sure how much the pay is once you are promoted as a medic.

This cycle of applications is due on the 6th I believe, and the process goes throughout the summer with an academy start date in August if I am not mistaken. (to lazy to look around site right now.)

Yeah I saw the rate but not sure if the schedule would allow to make more money. If u work 48 hour shift not bad or 2 24s ...but if you show up 4-5 times a week that's junk ...I'm trying to see if its even worth my time I have wife kids dogs....and my decision would impact everyone's life ....I'm also looking at the Privates in the area.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Unless things have changed, you're most likely to start off doing 4x12. Then as you gain seniority you can bid for their hybrid shifts (24 & 12x2, or 24x2). Typically new employees would start off on 12s, though.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
And, again, another thing to remember is you won't be having state tax coming out if your paycheck in Texas

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Thank you all for your responses and feedback... I'm gonna drive in to Austin on the 14th for the hiring process... Get a feel for the city, maybe its meant to be and I'll land a job with a legit Agency. Otherwise I'll go with plan B finish HVAC training buy a work truck and run a one man show, service and repair biz.... 12-15 years of spinning my wheels in the low paying EMS world is enough. Should have gone to college...

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Thank you all for your responses and feedback... I'm gonna drive in to Austin on the 14th for the hiring process... Get a feel for the city, maybe its meant to be and I'll land a job with a legit Agency. Otherwise I'll go with plan B finish HVAC training buy a work truck and run a one man show, service and repair biz.... 12-15 years of spinning my wheels in the low paying EMS world is enough. Should have gone to college...

I pm'd you. We are all hear to help each other. Hopefully you don't have to move too far from family.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Yeah I saw the rate but not sure if the schedule would allow to make more money. If u work 48 hour shift not bad or 2 24s ...but if you show up 4-5 times a week that's junk ...I'm trying to see if its even worth my time I have wife kids dogs....and my decision would impact everyone's life ....I'm also looking at the Privates in the area.

12s are definitely the most likely shift as a new employee. Even on 24s I'm pretty sure it still is a 48 hour work week, not the 56 like most FDs or EMS agencies that run 24s or 48s are. Also, if it does bump to a 56 hour week when you get to that point I wouldn't be surprised if your hourly dropped so you're making the same annual amount. Doesn't make any sense to pay the people working the less desirable shifts less than those working the more desirable ones. I very well could be wrong, just thinking with the whole Civil Service thing they try and keep it on an even playing field for everyone.

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
12s are definitely the most likely shift as a new employee. Even on 24s I'm pretty sure it still is a 48 hour work week, not the 56 like most FDs or EMS agencies that run 24s or 48s are. Also, if it does bump to a 56 hour week when you get to that point I wouldn't be surprised if your hourly dropped so you're making the same annual amount. Doesn't make any sense to pay the people working the less desirable shifts less than those working the more desirable ones. I very well could be wrong, just thinking with the whole Civil Service thing they try and keep it on an even playing field for everyone.

Yeah I remember AMR would do that.. you jump on a 24 or 48 and work more hours but yet your expected to make the same so they would drop your hourly to keep it "Fair" ...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I wonder how the OT is??

From my friend that works there: "plentiful"

As a Medic I they pulled down like 70k but that's with a lot of OT.