Austin-Travis County and Surrounding

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Wilco is hiring... and we have cookies.
I am intrigued. But if I move for a couple years for a change of pace I want to do something totally different, like work big city EMS for a bit. My jobs now range from the sticks to the enourmous suburb that is Colorado Springs.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
That sounds awesome lol I miss big patches of land

aquabear

World's Okayest Paramedic
I am intrigued. But if I move for a couple years for a change of pace I want to do something totally different, like work big city EMS for a bit. My jobs now range from the sticks to the enourmous suburb that is Colorado Springs.
You'll get big city EMS at ATCEMS, but I love it here at Wilco and plan on retiring from this agency. Don't get me wrong, ATCEMS is a great system and if I were an EMT and not already a medic, I would have loved to work there. I know they did an accelerated Medic I to Medic II hiring earlier this year, but I don't know what that timeline is like.

If you want any more info about Wilco, PM me.

RocketMedic

I have yet to see an operation where just culture is anything other than an excuse for leadership to congratulate itself on flagellating employees who make honest mistakes and ignoring their own role in the process. The thought that it could be anything more than just a check block is pleasing to me.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

RocketMedic

I think one of the things that makes SCEMS really distinctive is that they have divorced paramedicine from transport.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I think one of the things that makes DELAWARE really distinctive is that they have divorced paramedicine from transport.

It's the whole state.

We did 100% peer review there. After getting in a few QI flame wars, your skin gets pretty thick. It makes the roasts here look tame.

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
All of Wilcos new positions are grant funded, so if they lose the money, you lose your job.

At least that's what their captain who does the clinical education told me.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RocketMedic

I sense that the majority of those positions will be safe. However, I also don't want to run 24/48s.

aquabear

World's Okayest Paramedic
Yea, it's an okay bet to make, but you know how funds are. If any kind of economic problem happens, BOOM, they're gone.

Wilco is finishing the process of transitioning all the grant funded positions to the general fund and we will hopefully be getting funding for 8 more general fund positions for a new truck for the next budget year that starts in October.

I too was nervous about the "grant funded" bit, but I still decided to move across country and make a career here at Wilco. After the clearing process, I was moved off of the grant and to the general fund only after a couple of months.

BossmanGifford

Forum Crew Member
Wilco is finishing the process of transitioning all the grant funded positions to the general fund and we will hopefully be getting funding for 8 more general fund positions for a new truck for the next budget year that starts in October.

I too was nervous about the "grant funded" bit, but I still decided to move across country and make a career here at Wilco. After the clearing process, I was moved off of the grant and to the general fund only after a couple of months.
She told me it was six months to a year. If that's the case (what you said) and I'm not hired by Hennepin EMS, I'll apply there and see if I can get in. Thanks for clearing it up.

RocketMedic

WilCo does sound like a career place, and Dr. Jarvis is a great director. With that being said, nope to 24/48s.

nyislesfan42

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone know how it is is ATCEMS hires you as an AEMT and you get your paramedic while working with them if you still have to spend another year as BLS?

RocketMedic

At ATCEMS, certification levels are internal, not external.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

RocketMedic

They are, but to them, an external (state or NREMT) certification is meaningless, in that you can't practice at that level until they agree that you are acceptable to them. Basically they don't hire the cert, they hire the person and hold you until they want you to work at your certification level.

nyislesfan42

Forum Crew Member
I feel like a lot kf places do that. AMR has a person ride for about 14-16 shifts while they learn the protocols then take a protocol test at the end of their last field training shift. you have three chances to pass it and each time you take it your score has to be higher to pass. and we dont even do anything it feels like

TXmed

Forum Captain
an ATCEMS HR rep told me, it is due to them being civil service. You can be the best paramedic in north america but you still HAVE to start as an emt-b.