Austin-Travis County and Surrounding

Medico

Forum Lieutenant
Good evening, street clinicians.

My wife and I would like to make a move from Virginia to Texas, and I was hoping to solicit some advice. What are some counties/cities, hospitals, or private agencies that are decent places to work?

Things that are important to me would be fixed or rotating shifts (some structure), active management, employee retention. I would like to stay in or around Austin-Travis County; however, I am willing to commute < 1 hour.

I did a google search and was overwhelmed with hospitals. I am not familiar with the area to narrow my search.

I appreciate the help!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
If you're a medic, look at Williamson County EMS. That area has a lot of good county run systems. If you're an EMT, A/TCEMS isnt bad, but if you're a medic you'll be a BLS.provider for them upon hire for up to two years.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
WilCo is your best bet in that area. Good pay and benefits, great protocols, great retention, and a very involved medical director who wants his guys to be clinicians and think independently.

ETMC in Waco and Tyler isn't terrible from what I've heard, but I know Acadian is starting to push their way in.

ATCEMS is an interesting system. I personally wouldn't work there, but it does work for some people. If you're a basic, you won't find a better job than ATC. Like TJ said though- as a paramedic you'll still be forced to work as a basic for quite a while. Protocols there aren't stellar, but certainly aren't terrible. Pay is quite good.

San Marcos/Hays Co EMS is to the south of Austin. Good protocols, not terrible pay. Guys will make it a career, but I don't really see them as a career department.

South of San Marcos (about 45min drive to Austin) is Schertz EMS. Average protocols that are improving, slightly above average pay. Pretty good system that's growing quickly.

I've heard good things about Marble Falls (west of Austin), but I honestly don't know much about them. I just tried tagging a guy (teedubyaw) that works that area, but apparently his profile no longer exists...

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Fort Hood Army job, San Antonio area....Lots of options. Why Austin?

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
There's no hospital based systems in Travis county (TON of hospitals though). ATCEMS does the 911. Acadian and AMR run the transfers. The new medical director candidates are all quite progressive so the protocols may change for the better. You're looking at about a year to be able to promote to an ALS provider. Overall a good place to work. There are a lot of politics going on right now, and things are changing. So we will see how it turns out.

WILCO. Best place in the area for a paramedic to be a paramedic. They just had a hiring process, so not sure when they will hire again. Good money and is the county north of Travis. Good place to live. I know their medical director applied to ATCEMS. Don't know if they are still in the running, should be getting word this week.

Marble falls. Northwest of Austin. Have heard good things. Rural and all their more serious calls drive the hour into Austin to use their hospitals. Don't know how often they hire. Their pay is much lower than ATC and Wilco I believe.

San Marcos. South of Austin. Seem to be ok, haven't heard much about them, but see them at the Austin hospitals all the time. Have heard the pay is sub-par. But you'd have to check.

But if you're dead set on staying in the Travis county area, and don't want to look around the rest of Texas. Wilco and ATC are your two best options to make the most money, and make a career.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like. A lot of people from Texas on here.

RocketMedic

Same here. I'll post thus evening

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Revival...

ATCEMS is accepting applications for all levels until June 5th.

Does anyone have any solid information on whether medics are still forced to work at a BLS level when they are hired?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Revival...

ATCEMS is accepting applications for all levels until June 5th.

Does anyone have any solid information on whether medics are still forced to work at a BLS level when they are hired?

They have a modified process now for medics. Get paid a little more than a basic but have the same scope and only spend one year as a basic vs. the two you used to have to wait.

WilCo just opened their apps as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Yup, the only two ground services that pique my interest still, and seem worth ever leaving my cush gig remain SCEMS, and Wilco EMS.

ATCEMS, eh? Wilco is in the greater Austin-Travis County area TMK, and would most likely be a better fit for my non-regressive spirit.

Also, I really like the vibe I get out of Dr. Jarvis.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Yup, the only two ground services that pique my interest still, and seem worth ever leaving my cush gig remain SCEMS, and Wilco EMS.

ATCEMS, eh? Wilco is in the greater Austin-Travis County area TMK, and would most likely be a better fit for my non-regressive spirit.

Also, I really like the vibe I get out of Dr. Jarvis.

I just had a chat with the deputy director from SCEMS today. He sent me a great article on the QI Process and their take on just culture. I miss that place.

OP
OP
Medico

Medico

Forum Lieutenant
I applied to ATCEMS and WilCo. I will not able to attend WilCo testing; however, I will be interviewing with ATCEMS on the 15th. Unfortunately, you must still work as a basic for one year. I am willing to do it if it gets me to TX.

aquabear

World's Okayest Paramedic
I applied to ATCEMS and WilCo. I will not able to attend WilCo testing; however, I will be interviewing with ATCEMS on the 15th. Unfortunately, you must still work as a basic for one year. I am willing to do it if it gets me to TX.
In addition to Wilco's current hiring process, they should be hiring again if the Commissioners Court approves funding for a new station and float medics for the next fiscal year. (Read September/October)

RocketMedic

I'm over 24?48s

OP
OP
Medico

Medico

Forum Lieutenant
In addition to Wilco's current hiring process, they should be hiring again if the Commissioners Court approves funding for a new station and float medics for the next fiscal year. (Read September/October)
If they get approval they are hiring those paramedics in this current process.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

aquabear

If they get approval they are hiring those paramedics in this current process.

Trust me, the staffing for that new truck and for the new float medics will a separate hiring in the fall. The current process is to fill current, existing openings.

OP
OP
Medico

Medico

Forum Lieutenant
I don't doubt you, but that is contrary to the email I received. I hope they do wait so I can have a chance to travel in the fall.

"At this time we have 7 openings, however we have submitted a budget request to implement a new medic unit. If that gets approved, we will hire for that unit as well, bringing the number of openings to 15."

Trust me, the staffing for that new truck and for the new float medics will a separate hiring in the fall. The current process is to fill current, existing openings.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I wish ATC would hire paramedics to be paramedics. I'm still interested in moving to Austin and living there. I don't want to drive an hour to work like I often do right now and if I'm going to move to a city to work as a paramedic, I want to actually work in a city. Williamson County sounds like an awesome place, but for once working in a city appeals to me.

aquabear

I wish ATC would hire paramedics to be paramedics. I'm still interested in moving to Austin and living there. I don't want to drive an hour to work like I often do right now and if I'm going to move to a city to work as a paramedic, I want to actually work in a city. Williamson County sounds like an awesome place, but for once working in a city appeals to me.
Wilco is hiring... and we have cookies.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I like cookies.