Arming EMT's and Paramedics

DWemt28

Forum Crew Member
So I was reading an article the other day about EMTs and paramedics possibly being armed one of these days. Just out of curiosity I want to get some opinions on the issue from some fellow users :huh:

Backwoods

Forum Crew Member
With my experiences gleaned from ride alongs, I dont think they should. The police where almost always on scene when we got there. But I can see why people's opinion differ in a rural area where it is the sheriff's territory.

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
There are zero reasons for a Paramedic/EMT/Nurse/Therapist/PA/NP/Physician/Surgeon/Lunch lady to be armed in healthcare. If you don't feel safe, walk away and call the cops. Let the people with the training and experience (and equipment) deal with potentially volatile situations. I guarantee two things if Paramedics/EMTs became armed:

1) Some dumdum dingleberry will shoot a patient unnecessarily, or shoot one correctly and then refuse to treat.

2) Some inattentive poor sod will get shot with his own weapon.

When either one of the above happens, fingers will start pointing. Hell, Cops have 110% more reasons to carry a weapon and shoot people than we do, and they still get in trouble.

Also, doesn't having something to purposefully injure our patients seem counter-productive, and rather out of the "spirit" of the work?

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
There are zero reasons for a Paramedic/EMT/Nurse/Therapist/PA/NP/Physician/Surgeon/Lunch lady to be armed in healthcare. If you don't feel safe, walk away and call the cops. Let the people with the training and experience (and equipment) deal with potentially volatile situations. I guarantee two things if Paramedics/EMTs became armed:

1) Some dumdum dingleberry will shoot a patient unnecessarily, or shoot one correctly and then refuse to treat.

2) Some inattentive poor sod will get shot with his own weapon.

When either one of the above happens, fingers will start pointing. Hell, Cops have 110% more reasons to carry a weapon and shoot people than we do, and they still get in trouble.

Also, doesn't having something to purposefully injure our patients seem counter-productive, and rather out of the "spirit" of the work?

Spot on...

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
This has been discussed ad nauseam. Do a search and look at one of the 73747294747292937 threads about this.

Mods: can we close this?

Last edited by a moderator:

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
So I was reading an article the other day about EMTs and paramedics possibly being armed one of these days. Just out of curiosity I want to get some opinions on the issue from some fellow users :huh:

Ummmm no.

Half of them are lucky their allowed to touch something thats sharp.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
And the other half are lucky enough to know the difference between they're and their.

:D

ClarkEMS

Forum Probie
Israeli Medics

When I rode with Israeli medics, some of them did carry pistols, but there is a clear difference between these medics and American medics. The main difference is that Israel is a nation constantly at war with these medics routinely entering closed military zones to access patients. The other reason is that Israel is a small country with nearly the entire population trained in weaponry due to mandatory army service. Unless these reasons are coming to the US, I don't see a need for armed EMTs/Paramedics. We aren't entering war zones, the majority of us don't have weapons training, and lets face it, someone would do something stupid.

Verdict: I really hope we don't start carrying weapons or else we are going to be doing tons more paperwork and causing patients.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
When I rode with Israeli medics, some of them did carry pistols, but there is a clear difference between these medics and American medics. The main difference is that Israel is a nation constantly at war with these medics routinely entering closed military zones to access patients. The other reason is that Israel is a small country with nearly the entire population trained in weaponry due to mandatory army service. Unless these reasons are coming to the US, I don't see a need for armed EMTs/Paramedics. We aren't entering war zones, the majority of us don't have weapons training, and lets face it, someone would do something stupid.

Verdict: I really hope we don't start carrying weapons or else we are going to be doing tons more paperwork and causing patients.

Agreed. I had the same experience. Some PD-based services, however, do have armed medics providing care (Maryland state police comes to mind), but that comes with extensive training and experience with weapon retention.

Dt4EMS, you around?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Some PD-based services, however, do have armed medics providing care (Maryland state police comes to mind), but that comes with extensive training and experience with weapon retention.

Yes, and we all know how on the cutting edge of prehospital medicine Maryland is.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Like Hockey said, this has been discussed before.

That being said, they absolutely should not carry firearms, with the possible exception of tactical EMS. What would patients think if they found out we were packing heat? It wouldn't do a lot for patient-provider trust I can tell you that!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
MMMMMMMMMMMmfl! Mfl!Mfffffl! MMMMMMMMfl!

images

Naw, have a good day. ;)

samiam

Amazing Member
"Do no harm" I think it is safe to say that shooting someone in the face would constitute harm.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I agree, this has been beaten to death before, but I'll ask another question. If we agree providers should not be armed, how about others in the vehicle. How do you feel about armed Corrections Officers while transporting a prisoner?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Our officers did not carry firearms in the ambulance

The chase car had their sidearm, as well as an armed deputy. I understand state prison transfers to their contract hospital facilites off-site include armed CO's, but the pt/inmate is five point manacled.

By the way, the local prison ward at the hospital is unique. One end of the room is mostly one-way mirror bullet proof glass with a gun port facing into the vehicle sally where they are brought in/leave through, and into the treatment area/open ward. Pt's/inmates are chained to the beds at all times except to use the tolet (behind a curtain lowering to knee height so feet are visible at all times); if they leave the room, they are once more five pointed onto a gurney, and spitmasked if need be.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Paramedics around here do carry concealed firearms. The point is: THEY'RE CONCEALED. If you carry a concealed firearm properly, no one should know you're carrying unless you have to fire it. Plain and simple.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
And the other half are lucky enough to know the difference between they're and their.

:D

Come on now, ok maybe I shouldn't have taken the six am Modern English grammer class.

Last edited by a moderator:

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Paramedics around here do carry concealed firearms. The point is: THEY'RE CONCEALED. If you carry a concealed firearm properly, no one should know you're carrying unless you have to fire it. Plain and simple.

Is this legal? I know federal law prohibits carrying firearms in Hospitals.