Are hats/snapbacks allowed to be worn by staff on ambulance?

Emilio

Forum Ride Along
Hello im a student and im going to start doing my ride alongs next month and i was wondering if i could use a snap back while on duty

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
It depends on the company. Call the place you're doing your ride time at and ask.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello im a student and im going to start doing my ride alongs next month and i was wondering if i could use a snap back while on duty

And what does your snap back say?

OP
OP
E

Emilio

Forum Ride Along
"fuerzas especiales de mexico"
url

with that logo and its a black hat

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
it says fuerzas especiales de mexico

"mexican special forces"
and it hais their logo and its a black hat

Emilio, I don't think the people you're riding with would be too impressed by your Mexican Special Forces hat, even if they're Mexican Special Forces. Then there are your patients, but that post can wait.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
It'll be entirely dependent on the individual conpany/agency.

Some issue (or at least have available as optional purchase) official uniform hats, which as a part of the uniform will usually include the company logo, maybe a station logo.

Some will allow plain (no logos or anything) solid color black or navy blue or other similar color (likely the same color they use for their uniforms).

Others will simply not allow hats, period.

But I can almost guarantee you your Mexican Special Forces hat does not fall into any of those categories and will not be allowed. Unless you are actually a legit Mexican Special Forces soldier on some sort of training exchange and you're in the rest of your MSF uniform on duty as a MSF soldier during these ride alongside and the hat is an official part of that uniform...no, I cant see any agency anywhere allowing that hat, especially as a student.

There might be some places that turn a blind eye to established employees wearing non uniform hats with logos, like an American flag patch, or referencing the 343 from 9/11...but you as a student will not be allowed any leeway.

OP
OP
E

Emilio

Forum Ride Along
It'll be entirely dependent on the individual conpany/agency.

Some issue (or at least have available as optional purchase) official uniform hats, which as a part of the uniform will usually include the company logo, maybe a station logo.

Some will allow plain (no logos or anything) solid color black or navy blue or other similar color (likely the same color they use for their uniforms).

Others will simply not allow hats, period.

But I can almost guarantee you your Mexican Special Forces hat does not fall into any of those categories and will not be allowed. Unless you are actually a legit Mexican Special Forces soldier on some sort of training exchange and you're in the rest of your MSF uniform on duty as a MSF soldier during these ride alongside and the hat is an official part of that uniform...no, I cant see any agency anywhere allowing that hat, especially as a student.

There might be some places that turn a blind eye to established employees wearing non uniform hats with logos, like an American flag patch, or referencing the 343 from 9/11...but you as a student will not be allowed any leeway.
thank you for your answer i think i will call my instructor teacher and ask if i can get a solid navy blue hat

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Emilio, I don't think the people you're riding with would be too impressed by your Mexican Special Forces hat, even if they're Mexican Special Forces. Then there are your patients, but that post can wait.

Drops the mic...

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
In all fairness, people at work dont know what I look like without one I think. Maybe once I can recall having gone without, but I always have one. Habit.

As a student though, I wouldn't care if it was black or blue. If it says Mexican Special Forces, my ability to take someone serious goes way down unless you are and my partner and I are about as laid back and goofy as it gets. Just find a black hat and you'll be fine.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
In all fairness, people at work dont know what I look like without one I think. Maybe once I can recall having gone without, but I always have one. Habit.
is it because you don't want people to know your balds? inquiring minds want to know.... because if it is, they probably already know....

As to the OP, questions like this should be best directed to your EMT instructor (as you said you were going to ask previously). Any agency specific questions, or class related questions (is this allowed, etc), are usually much better answered by an authoritative person from within your program, not a bunch of random guys on the internet. We could all say "yes, you should be able to wear that hat," but if your instructor says you can't, well, his word overrules all of us.

Just food for thought for next time.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

Same here. Helmet hair. Can't be going into the ER looking like a scrub

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Same here. Helmet hair. Can't be going into the ER looking like a scrub
I keep an extra hat in both my call murse/wilderness bag and wildland pack at the fire job. Won't be caught dead with helmet hair. #vanity

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
@DrParasite, nope I have a full enough head of hair that I am growing it out and gonna let my partner dye it purple lol. It's just a habit at this point, I have the same Remington hat I wear on days off that I've worn for a good 8 years or so.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I'd give it a pass. Unless it's a an issued cap I'd leave it at home.

Edit: at the service I was at hats were not allowed.

Last edited:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
At both my former EMS services, we were issued cheap, crappy, snapback hats. At my current FD, we were issued the same.

Almost everyone purchases their own fitted hats with their names embroidered on them; at my FD, we purchased ones that were units specific (IE, I have Eng4ine, and Res14cue hats, and might get an Eng1ine hat next time they order because I spend most of my time there nowadays), all that were approved by administration.

I only wear them when I work a night shift, or in the rain.

I wouldn't purchase a hat for use during school that had anything on it, other than a plain black one, because most EMT school "uniform" purchases are wastes of money (class traffic vest, class polo/sweatshirt, etc). Once you finish the class, you will likely never wear them again (although I do think a class T-shirt is worth getting, especially if it looks decent, and can be worn off duty).

As a random aside, the college I work at part time requires any hats we wear to be "Adidas" brand, or rather, not show any other brand other than Adidas, because that is the company who sponsors the athletics department. But they won't issue us hats, and we work outside most of the time....

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Being bald as a cue ball I really wish my service had allowed hats. We had to comb a field for an ejected driver and I got scortched.

Last edited: