/?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Hall Ambulance
San Bernardino County Fire Department Ambulance Operator
Rialto Fire Department Ambulance Operator
Morongo Basin Ambulance
Gold Cross Ambulance
I know there are several more fire departments who have a single role medic position however I am not sure on which ones.

OP
OP
Ethan

Ethan

Forum Crew Member
If you can hanel terrible pay posting 24 hours day with no sleep and its a great place. The country run systems are better . Private pay is insulting. hospital base is worse. Everyone under 35 jumps to fire ems as soon as they can, the only money is transfer trucks

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
If you can hanel terrible pay posting 24 hours day with no sleep and its a great place. The country run systems are better . Private pay is insulting. hospital base is worse. Everyone under 35 jumps to fire ems as soon as they can, the only money is transfer trucks

what area of Texas do you work in? also what's your opinion that's wrong with Houston. I visited once I liked Houston city, Fort Bend area, and north parts of Harris County seemed nice to me

OP
OP
Ethan

Ethan

Forum Crew Member
i work in the northeast . I lived in Houston for two years and the traffic is even worse than Dallas I lived in a nice gated community with my significant other at the time and within two months her car was stolen from the garage which is gated. Additionally a Policer officer was shot on breaking and entering call 3 apts down from us. That being said, North Houston does have some nice areas such as the Woodlands and Spring. Yes there are some good service there but overall not a place for me. Now I could find a better job here in Have you ever worked for less than 13 dollars an hour as Medic? Less than 10hr?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I know there are several more fire departments who have a single role medic position however I am not sure on which ones.

Huntington Beach Fire has AO's

VentMonkey

Family Guy
:confused:I can't think of any departments aside from Sierra Madre (part-time/ limited hours annually), and SBCoFD that are non-suppression ALS-paramedic positions.

The remaining "AO", or Ambulance Operator jobs in Southern California are all at the BLS-level.
Huntington Beach Fire has AO's
BLS-level.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
You should remember that many CA departments are essentially the same....for example, medics in San Diego making $14/hour.

San Marcos Hayes County EMS is hiring soon, www.smhcems.com

Cypress Creek is also looking.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
what area of Texas do you work in? also what's your opinion that's wrong with Houston. I visited once I liked Houston city, Fort Bend area, and north parts of Harris County seemed nice to me

The 1960 corridor goes from ghetto to mansion really fast.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
The department- yes; the AO program is BLS where you are "scouted":rolleyes:
Just like Glendale...even if you hold a medic license as an AO you are strictly EMT only and the fire medics finally the ALS stuff. The good* thing about those two AO programs (Glendale and Huntington) is that the medics are on the engine so the AOs still "get" to go on all the EMS calls and transport the ALS calls so they at least get the experience
*Soley in comparison to the other AO programs (Downey, Culver City, Long Beach, etc) where the fire medics are still on their own ambulances so the AOs only get dispatched to BLS level calls so the only time they see ALS level patients is if there's no more medic units available or the call was triaged wrong in dispatch.

So yeah, the LA/OC AO programs aren't the place to go to be a medic doing medic things. Can't speak for SB Co or Rialto (the only two AO programs I know of off the top of my head outside LA/OC) but my understanding is that those AOs are EMT and Medic, where you're actually doing medic stuff.

But other than those 2 and AMR, single role, have scene authority, medics I can think of is Mercy Ambulance in parts of rural San Diego Co.

Way out in the sticks is Gold Cross ambulance in Imperial County (that lovely stretch of desert between SD Co and Arizona), I think they're owned by Schaefer?

Good Coast up in Oxnard, but they're owned by AMR so idk if that counts in your book as an AMR op lol

wtferick

Forum Captain
I'm not sure how these companies work their ALS units but Symons has the contract for Bishop and Mission has the contract for the salton sea area. Just throwing these out there.