AMR Riverside/Hemet

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Honestly in California it's just get hired where ever you can. Since California has soo many EMTs and Medics you can't really be too picky.

Squad51

Forum Crew Member
From what I have read it seems like AMR is the preferred place to work in SoCal. I'm looking to relocate there, but I'm concerned about the areas they cover. Hemet, Victorville, Riverside are all kind of sketchy from what I've heard. Is it a safe place to work? I appreciate any feedback.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
From what I have read it seems like AMR is the preferred place to work in SoCal. I'm looking to relocate there, but I'm concerned about the areas they cover. Hemet, Victorville, Riverside are all kind of sketchy from what I've heard. Is it a safe place to work? I appreciate any feedback.

It's about normal for every place. There are places that we respond where you don't have to worry about locking the unit. And then there are places where you have to keep an eye on all your gear or else it will magically vanish.

We have a couple places (2-3 housing areas) where the Police will respond with us and fire.

Last edited by a moderator:

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Liberty Ambulance in Ridgecrest and Hall in Bakersfield are also excellent alternates, and Kern County is a lot more aggressive in terms of protocols then the Inland Empire. Pay is similar IIRC.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Morongo Basin ambulance up in the yucca valley area is also another good alternative. Pay is really good. Shifts are good. All ALS units with no IFTs or BLS. But it is extremely hard to get hired there due to the fact no one wants to leave the company.

Squad51

Forum Crew Member
Great! Thank you everybody for the replies! You don't know what a big help it is.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

Hemet really isn't THAT bad at all. Everyone here is all bark no bite. I've been threatened MULTIPLE times that someone is "gonna go get my gun and come back" and it's *never* happened. It's a typical "thug" mentality around here. The baddies would rather :censored::censored::censored::censored: with people that won't give them issues and are afraid.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Hemet really isn't THAT bad at all. Everyone here is all bark no bite. I've been threatened MULTIPLE times that someone is "gonna go get my gun and come back" and it's *never* happened. It's a typical "thug" mentality around here. The baddies would rather :censored::censored::censored::censored: with people that won't give them issues and are afraid.

Yeah, Hemet isn't all bad. San Jac has had a rash of shootings recently, seeming all gang related.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Really anything on the east of so-cal isn't that bad. And the places that are bad are known and PD rolls with you.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Barstows pretty horrible.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Victorville and hemet do not have enough of a population to be bad....... Riverside on the other hand

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
If you really want fun, try for San Bernardino!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If you really want fun, try for San Bernardino!

Fun? I'm afraid to go to the community hospital there! You know it's bad when they have armed officers at the ER doors 24/7 haha

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Fun? I'm afraid to go to the community hospital there! You know it's bad when they have armed officers at the ER doors 24/7 haha

One time we were parked in the parking lot by the east side and there was a shooting a few blocks away. Always fun.

USMCemt

Forum Probie
Just finished my emt course and passed the nremt two weeks later. Currently, I am in the Imperial County, but if I have a county card can I get one from Riverside fairly easy? I want to apply with AMR, so I am greeting the ball rolling on the ambulance certificate next week. Funny how every little piece of paper has a fee. I have been reading posts by others and I must say the EMS community is accepting and team orientated. I am really happy with my career choice so far.

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
yes sometimes

if you recieve a county card you will get a state of california card to practice which allows you to work statewide as long as the local EMS authority does not require additional training in their scope of practice (LA county for example)

OP
OP
yanikemt

yanikemt

Forum Crew Member
How is everyone doing?

Any one else join the waiting game with me... going on 10 months since I applied for AMR. Question though, just out of curiosity what does the physical/health test consist of?