Ambulance gets booted

JPINFV

Gadfly
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw_VRQYzMYM[/youtube]

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
If the story is accurate and no details were left out, what were the employees thinking?!

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow. In kinda speechless on this one.

If the medics are in the store it's pretty obvious it's official business.

My partner and I agree if this ever happened to us our reactions won't be nice.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Not nice? I would have likely went ape :censored::censored::censored::censored: on them! I dare you to touch my ambulance while I'm on a call :mad:

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Not nice? I would have likely went ape :censored::censored::censored::censored: on them! I dare you to touch my ambulance while I'm on a call :mad:

Well yeah that's our definition of not nice lol.

I'm the king of under statements.

Our reaction would get us on the nightly news and probably a few extra free vacation days. I'd love to hear that stores reasoning for the boot.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Our reaction would get us on the nightly news and probably a few extra free vacation days. I'd love to hear that stores reasoning for the boot.

Agreed.

I would have gotten the Police involved real quickly. That's interfering with Emergency Services at it's finest.

"Cool you want to boot my ambulance while I'm attending to one of your customers? That's fine. I hope you like being unemployed dumbass."

Last edited by a moderator:

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Well obviously they should have bought a Redbull or pack of gum while attending to the patient and this would have never happened

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I would have the store owner arrested for tampering with a city vehicle and obstruction.

It isn't legal to just decide you are going to boot someones vehicle. Pretty sure you have to be an enforcing agency...

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I would have the store owner arrested for tampering with a city vehicle and obstruction.

It isn't legal to just decide you are going to boot someones vehicle. Pretty sure you have to be an enforcing agency...

If its like it is here parking lots are private and the business/property manager/owner are free to enforce their own parking rules and sign agreements with boot or wrecker services to take care of vehicles that violate their rules. Signs have to be posted and its quite the cash cow for the wreckers/booters. I have no doubt there are kickbacks to the property folks. Perfectly legal and shady as heck.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Well obviously they should have bought a Redbull or pack of gum while attending to the patient and this would have never happened

I probably would have done that, actually... I have a terrible caffeine addiction... :D

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
If its like it is here parking lots are private and the business/property manager/owner are free to enforce their own parking rules and sign agreements with boot or wrecker services to take care of vehicles that violate their rules. Signs have to be posted and its quite the cash cow for the wreckers/booters. I have no doubt there are kickbacks to the property folks. Perfectly legal and shady as heck.
That doesn't make it right, legal, or ethical. When the news team called the towing company the convenience store answered the phone.

I see it now. Customer has chest pain in your store, you call 911, public ambulance arrives, you boot ambulance... profit.

If it was a police car the booter would have been charged with a litany of crimes.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief

It may be legal on some areas for a private vehicle. But I HIGHLY doubt it being legal to boot an emergency vehicle actively involved in an incident.

You mean to tell me I can park my police RMP in your 7/11 parking lot when we came to arrest a shoplifter and you can boot it? Good luck.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
That doesn't make it right, legal, or ethical. When the news team called the towing company the convenience store answered the phone.

I see it now. Customer has chest pain in your store, you call 911, public ambulance arrives, you boot ambulance... profit.

If it was a police car the booter would have been charged with a litany of crimes.

Oh I absolutely agree. This is a crappy thing for the store to have done and opening themselves to all kinds of negative outcomes and liability.

I was answering as to why a non-enforcement entity was booting vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:

OfficerEvenEMT

Forum Crew Member
I just read this story on another EMS website. Let me be clear: if I was an LEO in this area I would immediately arrest the employees responsible for this. Hopefully the DA would charge them with disorderly conduct, obstructing LE/EMS services, interfering with the operations of LE/EMS, etc. This is unspeakably and mind-bogglingly insane. I am very glad this got on the news.

If I wanted to recall all the times my Ambulance was involved in some sort of dispute with an overzealous Parking Enforcement employee in LA county, it would be a huge book. Seriously, I remember there was an incident where we were bringing a fully backboarded patient out of a SNF and a parking enforcement guy gave my partner the ticket and walked away. Some people.

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief

Agreed. Here booting is a police only activity, and pretty rare at that. If someone's parked on your property against your wishes, you need a parking officer or cop before you can call the tow truck.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I just read this story on another EMS website. Let me be clear: if I was an LEO in this area I would immediately arrest the employees responsible for this. Hopefully the DA would charge them with disorderly conduct, obstructing LE/EMS services, interfering with the operations of LE/EMS, etc. This is unspeakably and mind-bogglingly insane. I am very glad this got on the news.

Thank you!

Id also be suing for all damages caused to the vehicle.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Thank you!

Id also be suing for all damages caused to the vehicle.

Not to mention the patient suing for delayed transport...it could become a very expensive toy for the store.