Ambulance Driver Certificate test for California

Thanks Shepard, I'll take a look at those county links.

At this rate i'll probably need to recert by the time I get all my requirements and other certs needed just to apply to the bay area companies.

Seems like Ambo Driver Cert and Green Card can be accomplished with one trip to the DMV but I looked at the green card form and there is no way a normal doctor's office will have all the equipment needed to do the hearing and eye tests needed to complete the form...anyone have any suggestions for a one-stop-get-my-green-med-exam-card shop in the city or bay area?

My personal physician (family practice) did in fact have all the equipment needed to preform the DMV physical... I'd check with your own physician first (if you have one) before shelling out some $$$ for this physical as it can get expensive.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Seems like Ambo Driver Cert and Green Card can be accomplished with one trip to the DMV but I looked at the green card form and there is no way a normal doctor's office will have all the equipment needed to do the hearing and eye tests needed to complete the form...anyone have any suggestions for a one-stop-get-my-green-med-exam-card shop in the city or bay area?

What primary care physician doesn't have an eye chart, fingers (horizontal vision check) and someone who can whisper in their office? Those are certainly easier to do than the urine dip stick (heck, I have a pocket eye chart), and I doubt any PCP would not have a urine dip stick. The audiometer is option.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
What primary care physician doesn't have an eye chart, fingers (horizontal vision check) and someone who can whisper in their office? Those are certainly easier to do than the urine dip stick (heck, I have a pocket eye chart), and I doubt any PCP would not have a urine dip stick. The audiometer is option.

I went to my PCP and he was also able to sign everything. My PCP labeled the test as a preventative physical so my insurance would cover the cost.

My company sends us to an urgent care that has a contract with us to get the cards updated and renewed.

Shepard

Forum Crew Member

Your physician/nurse practitioner will have everything probably except for the ability to do a urinalysis. In which case they'll probably send you across the street or down a few blocks to get it done. If you have insurance go to your physician, if not you can call a clinic and see if they'll do DMV physicals for not too much $$$.

By the way, what you need to do for the DMV (I just got all of this stuff done):
Get your DL 51 (DMV Physical) done.
Get your Livescan done.
Go online and make an appt. for "other services."
Go with your greencard, DL51 form, Livescan form, your CDL and $25.
Take the test, if you fail I believe you get a second chance... but don't quote me on that.

Your physician/nurse practitioner will have everything probably except for the ability to do a urinalysis. In which case they'll probably send you across the street or down a few blocks to get it done. If you have insurance go to your physician, if not you can call a clinic and see if they'll do DMV physicals for not too much $$$.

By the way, what you need to do for the DMV (I just got all of this stuff done):
Get your DL 51 (DMV Physical) done.
Get your Livescan done.
Go online and make an appt. for "other services."
Go with your greencard, DL51 form, Livescan form, your CDL and $25.
Take the test, if you fail I believe you get a second chance... but don't quote me on that.

The test is simple, I passed it no problem. They do allow you to retest up to 3 times in one month from my understanding.

JPINFV

Gadfly

Um, a urine dip stick is a very easy in office lab test that was even done at the low cost clinic that my med school helped to run with one of the local FP residencies.

Shepard

Forum Crew Member
Um, a urine dip stick is a very easy in office lab test that was even done at the low cost clinic that my med school helped to run with one of the local FP residencies.

Perfect. Then there should be no problems.

jpizzle

Forum Ride Along
if my dl-51 has expired, can i still just get the physical done and mail it to the dmv to be renewed?

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
if my dl-51 has expired, can i still just get the physical done and mail it to the dmv to be renewed?

Ahahahah, please say you are not serious! Never give the CA DMV a reason to mess with you. All it takes is the wrong DMV clerk receiving it in a bad mood and you are screwed. That office has way to much autonomy and authority.

Take it in and look for the clerk with the least grumpy face and get into their line and hand it in in person

Last edited by a moderator:

slewy

Forum Lieutenant
help

Can any of you guys help me with DL51? Which one do I mark on this form? I'm from California if that matters. Thanks

Mark one of the driving types below

NI non-excepted interstate

or

NA non-expected intrastate

ChanelCinq

Forum Lieutenant
County accreditation is different from the state EMS license, and not all counties require accreditation.

Can someone confirm that if I pick a county, say San Mateo County, that I can still apply for jobs in Santa Clara County or San Francisco, or Alameda, etc? I don't have to only stick to applying for my county right? I am accredited for all countries in CA?

I am getting more and more confused and frustrated. I just wish I was back in school studying again. That part was fun. This other bureaucratic stuff is so insane. Especially dealing with the DMV which is a whole other story.

ChanelCinq

Forum Lieutenant
ADL should be valid for all of California

Sorry I happened to post on this thread which is about the Ambulance DL but my question is about my EMT card. SOrry I was not clear.

I took NREMT a few days ago and I am waiting for the card in the mail so I can apply for the county card. I will be applying for San Mateo County but I was wondering if I have to get a county card for each county that I want to apply for jobs in. This is not clear to me.

I plan to apply for jobs in San Mateo County, San Francisco County, Santa Clara County, maybe Alameda County, etc. Do I need to apply separately for each county and pay the fee for each county?

I quoted someone mentioning county accreditation but I should probably start another thread. I tried searching but came up empty handed.

patzyboi

Forum Lieutenant
Sorry I happened to post on this thread which is about the Ambulance DL but my question is about my EMT card. SOrry I was not clear.

I took NREMT a few days ago and I am waiting for the card in the mail so I can apply for the county card. I will be applying for San Mateo County but I was wondering if I have to get a county card for each county that I want to apply for jobs in. This is not clear to me.

I plan to apply for jobs in San Mateo County, San Francisco County, Santa Clara County, maybe Alameda County, etc. Do I need to apply separately for each county and pay the fee for each county?

I quoted someone mentioning county accreditation but I should probably start another thread. I tried searching but came up empty handed.

Apply what whatever county, and they will give you a state card regardless. Its a gray California card with your name on it. Then you can apply anywhere. Different counties have different requirements. Santa Clara county requires you to have like 5+ ICS certifications. Its free, but takes a bit of reading.

ChanelCinq

Forum Lieutenant
Apply what whatever county, and they will give you a state card regardless. Its a gray California card with your name on it. Then you can apply anywhere. Different counties have different requirements. Santa Clara county requires you to have like 5+ ICS certifications. Its free, but takes a bit of reading.

So I will not have to pay for each county that I want to work in?

If you are taking about the FEMA certs. Our school required us to do 5 of them and I think they did it because they know the jobs wanted them. We had to do IS-3, IS-100, IS-200, IS-700, and AWR-160.

I just looked at one of the companies that I want to apply to and they require IS-704 so I just completed that one because I want to have all this stuff done and ready to apply once I have my EMT card.