Ambulance Driver Certificate test for California

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

JPINFV

Gadfly
Not that i know of

Which, in reality is kinda of sad that there is no mechanism in place to ensure that the people operating emergency vehicles understand the laws and really basic theory regarding the operation of motor vehicles.

Shepard

Forum Crew Member
What does it cost? A couple hundred dollars, the most annoying is being forced to fork over about $50 for the LiveScan... twice (once for the state, once for the ADL)? I spend more than the licensing cost for an EMT in California for just one licensing exam, and there are 4 of those (splitting Step 2 Clinical Knowledge from Step 2 Clinical Skills).

It costs about $400 for me... Add another $150 if your insurance won't cover your ADL physical.

And I suppose it's just frustrating because I'm going through it right now. There are many more "opportunities" to pay a lot more higher up the chain. And LiveScan costs $70 a pop here.

It costs about $400 for me... Add another $150 if your insurance won't cover your ADL physical.

And I suppose it's just frustrating because I'm going through it right now. There are many more "opportunities" to pay a lot more higher up the chain. And LiveScan costs $70 a pop here.

Shepard, what part of NorCal are you from? LiveScan for me only cost $57 for me.

Sonoma County. I can't find it for less than $69.

Selected UPS Stores are LiveScan stations and the one I got it at charged me $57. $25 for the rolling fee and $32 for the DOJ service.

On a side note... Missed one question when I took the exam today, and I didn't even need to rely on the CHP ambulance drivers handbook! :)

AmboRambo

Forum Ride Along
whats up and please link me

great site great thread, information appreciation running high. Enthusiastic virtual what's up high fives to community.

As goes the luck with new folk i'm probably staring right at the answer i'm searching for but of course need someone to hold my hand or slap me in the face with it. Psyching hard for my ambulance driver cert, waited two hours in dmv to get a $5 book and some forms.

questions:

on what specific website page of the california DMV website do i make my appointment to take my written ambo driver cert test?

Can someone hit me with a thread containing checklist of all required hoops and certs to obtain in the great state of california before I can begins saving lives?

Ten thousand thank yous for your kindness.

JPINFV

Gadfly
As goes the luck with new folk i'm probably staring right at the answer i'm searching for but of course need someone to hold my hand or slap me in the face with it. Psyching hard for my ambulance driver cert, waited two hours in dmv to get a $5 book and some forms.

questions:

on what specific website page of the california DMV website do i make my appointment to take my written ambo driver cert test?
http://dmv.ca.gov/foa/welcome.do?localeName=en

You could have made an appointment to pick up the book as well.

Can someone hit me with a thread containing checklist of all required hoops and certs to obtain in the great state of california before I can begins saving lives?

What county will you be working in?

JPINFV

Gadfly
For San Francisco: http://www.sfdem.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=1138

The requirements for the EMT license itself is state wide. However some counties ("Local EMS Agencies" to be technical) have local accreditation requirements, so make sure to look up the counties where the services you are applying to are operating out of.

Shepard

Forum Crew Member

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/hh/main/ems/personnel.cfm

http://www.acphd.org/emtpara/certification-and-accreditation/emtcert.aspx

http://www.coastalvalleysems.org/certification-accreditation/emt-certification.html

Just google: CountyX EMSA and they'll have a fairly easy way to find EMT certification.

I've been told to get accredited in my home county and then do it again wherever I get hired... Thoughts on that? Is there any other way to go about doing it?

Good question. When I got my SD county card, I also got a Cal EMS card, so I would think that would cover any other county. I never had to go outside of SD county so I am not sure?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Good question. When I got my SD county card, I also got a Cal EMS card, so I would think that would cover any other county. I never had to go outside of SD county so I am not sure?

County accreditation is different from the state EMS license, and not all counties require accreditation.

Shepard

Forum Crew Member
County accreditation is different from the state EMS license, and not all counties require accreditation.

Really? My EMSA requires accreditation but it includes the state card. Without it's still a hundred bucks or so. But basically with a state card you apply, get hired and then accredit with the local agency after you're hired.

Really? My EMSA requires accreditation but it includes the state card. Without it's still a hundred bucks or so. But basically with a state card you apply, get hired and then accredit with the local agency after you're hired.

My local EMSA isn't issuing county cards to its EMT's anymore, just the state card. it does however still issue county cards to its Paramedics, along with the state card. California is an odd state...

code3gyal

Forum Ride Along
http://quizlet.com/10927436/ambulance-driver-test-flash-cards/

this site is also helpful for amb driver test

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
It's sort of shocking how much it costs to become an EMT in CA. At least in my county... You'd think we'd get paid better for the ringer they put us through. :glare:

I thought the same thing awhile back when I posted this in the forum.
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=24890

Basically what I computed for all the hoops was...

I wonder how many people working for low pay jobs would take those jobs if they had the out of pocket expenses that EMT/Medics do, just to get that job.

Here in Ca, it seems we have a fee for everything. Below is a listing of all the Fee's we incur to get the privilege to work at near minimum wage levels. Is your state different, more/less ?

Note: I am not including cost of class or books.

NREMT Skills exam. $100.00
NREMT written exam $70.00
Livescan for County license $70.00
Livescan for ambulance licence 70.00
County EMS certification Fee $90.00
Ambulance Driver test handbook $5.00
Ambulance Driver license application fee $25.00
DL-51 Physical exam fee... varies ~ $100.00

Total ~$530.00

Last edited by a moderator:

Shepard

Forum Crew Member
NREMT Skills exam. $100.00
This was included in my class for free, but I've heard it can cost up to $300
NREMT written exam $70.00
Livescan for County license $70.00
Livescan for ambulance licence 70.00
County EMS certification Fee $90.00
This is $155 for me, but I believe it varies by county and includes state certification.
Ambulance Driver test handbook $5.00
Ambulance Driver license application fee $25.00
DL-51 Physical exam fee... varies ~ $100.00

Total ~$530.00

Pretty accurate all in all. But that's the name of the game in the state we live in! There's not a lot we can do about it...

AmboRambo

Forum Ride Along
Thanks Shepard, I'll take a look at those county links.

At this rate i'll probably need to recert by the time I get all my requirements and other certs needed just to apply to the bay area companies.

Seems like Ambo Driver Cert and Green Card can be accomplished with one trip to the DMV but I looked at the green card form and there is no way a normal doctor's office will have all the equipment needed to do the hearing and eye tests needed to complete the form...anyone have any suggestions for a one-stop-get-my-green-med-exam-card shop in the city or bay area?

Last edited by a moderator: