Ambulance Driver Certificate test for California

Shepard

Forum Crew Member
"Ambulance Driver" = a hated term!!!!

Why not call it EVO license or Emergency Vehicle Operators license????

I'd make the argument that EVO license is pretty broad. In California the Ambulance Driver's Certificate goes along with a Medical Examiner's card and your regular Class C and it doesn't let you drive any other kind of emergency vehicle except an ambulance. It makes sense if you think about it, even though it is a pretty hated term.

Why not call it an "Ambulance Operators License" instead of an "Ambulance Driver's License?"

djarmpit

Forum Lieutenant
Why not call it an "Ambulance Operators License" instead of an "Ambulance Driver's License?"

Cause as a driver with the certificate and no EMT certfication you can only drive and not provide anything except first aid and cpr.

Shepard

Forum Crew Member
Cause as a driver with the certificate and no EMT certfication you can only drive and not provide anything except first aid and cpr.

Yes... But in CA you have to have an EMT cert to get the ambulance driver cert.
And amb. Operator license would be better, but who are we to question the inner workings of the DMV...

And yet DMV still requires the driver to get his/her EMT certification within one year if he/she doesn't already have it at time of application...

djarmpit

Forum Lieutenant
Would have been a lot easier if they integrated the certificate into the scopes or the NREMT

Would have been a lot easier if they integrated the certificate into the scopes or the NREMT

Or into the CA EMT training program for those of us who didn't need to get NREMT... I took my EMT the year before NREMT became mandated in CA for EMT Basics.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Or into the CA EMT training program for those of us who didn't need to get NREMT... I took my EMT the year before NREMT became mandated in CA for EMT Basics.

Probably not a good idea to put it in with the EMT classes. Most EMT programs try to keep it at the 120 hours that is required. So that would take away time from learning the basics (which lets face it alot of EMTs in California are pretty bad even with our super narrow scope of practice..).

Then you also have the issue of the EMTs go into the hospital setting. It would be a waste of time all together for them.

Probably not a good idea to put it in with the EMT classes. Most EMT programs try to keep it at the 120 hours that is required. So that would take away time from learning the basics (which lets face it alot of EMTs in California are pretty bad even with our super narrow scope of practice..).

Then you also have the issue of the EMTs go into the hospital setting. It would be a waste of time all together for them.

120 hours? Mine was 180 if I remember correctly back in 2002.

Tues/Thurs from 6:00p to 10p

Sat from 8a to 5p

August through January...

Perhaps they could add an optional module onto the current EMT course that covers EVOC and CA Ambulance Drivers License requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
120 hours? Mine was 180 if I remember correctly back in 2002.

Tues/Thurs from 6:00p to 10p

Sat from 8a to 5p

August through January...

Perhaps they could add an optional module onto the current EMT course that covers EVOC and CA Ambulance Drivers License requirements.

California requires EMT programs to be at least 120 hours. There are alot of programs that are just at that amount of time. However some programs go over that time (eg. The program I help teach at is at 208 hours of mandatory training with a 6-8 hour optional class).

With the way that each company has their own policies regarding EVOC and code 3 it's probably better that the individual company hosts the EVOC class.

California requires EMT programs to be at least 120 hours. There are alot of programs that are just at that amount of time. However some programs go over that time (eg. The program I help teach at is at 208 hours of mandatory training with a 6-8 hour optional class).

With the way that each company has their own policies regarding EVOC and code 3 it's probably better that the individual company hosts the EVOC class.

That makes complete sense in regards to the EVOC class. I still think that students should be told about the ADL during their EMT course, and what is going to be expected of them from the DMV.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
That makes complete sense in regards to the EVOC class. I still think that students should be told about the ADL during their EMT course, and what is going to be expected of them from the DMV.

Some courses actually do. Some courses have a sheet that is given to each student that lays out what they need and how to get it done. The hard part is finding out what courses offer it :wacko:

Some courses actually do. Some courses have a sheet that is given to each student that lays out what they need and how to get it done. The hard part is finding out what courses offer it :wacko:

My course definitely didn't cover the ADL at all 10 years ago... Only learned of the ADL in 2006...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Are there any other states that require an ADL other than CA?

Shepard

Forum Crew Member

Probably... But keep in mind that many people going through EMT are simply going on to firefighter, police, nursing, or something else. So they have no need to have an ADL, plus the ADL is limited to a few states, and possibly only CA.

My program laid out what we need to do and what would be expected of us, but there was also a second module that was available to us, which I took, that included EVOC and preparing for the ADL test.

djarmpit

Forum Lieutenant
Probably... But keep in mind that many people going through EMT are simply going on to firefighter, police, nursing, or something else. So they have no need to have an ADL, plus the ADL is limited to a few states, and possibly only CA.

My program laid out what we need to do and what would be expected of us, but there was also a second module that was available to us, which I took, that included EVOC and preparing for the ADL test.

Thats true. Only a portion of my class passed....and even a smaller portion wanted to be an EMT

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You know why it's not integrated into the program?

Money for CA courtesy of people paying for ADLs at the DMV.

That's why it isn't integrated.

Shepard

Forum Crew Member
You know why it's not integrated into the program?

Money for CA courtesy of people paying for ADLs at the DMV.

That's why it isn't integrated.

It's sort of shocking how much it costs to become an EMT in CA. At least in my county... You'd think we'd get paid better for the ringer they put us through. :glare:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm not in CA do I can't comment. My cert is dirt cheap and easy to get, no jumping through hoops ;)

JPINFV

Gadfly
It's sort of shocking how much it costs to become an EMT in CA. At least in my county... You'd think we'd get paid better for the ringer they put us through. :glare:
What does it cost? A couple hundred dollars, the most annoying is being forced to fork over about $50 for the LiveScan... twice (once for the state, once for the ADL)? I spend more than the licensing cost for an EMT in California for just one licensing exam, and there are 4 of those (splitting Step 2 Clinical Knowledge from Step 2 Clinical Skills).