Ambulance Crew Blasted For Staging at a Shooting

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh, and I appreciate the positive feedback too Fire. I'm all for educating the public and public officials. However, I can't stand when these politicians try to tell people doing the dirty work out in the field how to do their job and lambast them from the safety and comfort of their corner office desks, when they don't even bother to actually learn about what they're talking about.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Disgusting. Perhaps he should be stripped of office and given the job of breaking the news to families that their loved one isn't getting off duty - ever - because they "had to take a risk." Maybe then this songbird's tune will change.

Maybe being the bearer of that news is too great an honor for him to hold.

clibb

Forum Captain
medicRob,

You are my hero. I love that freaking email!

I'm going work on my own email to send! :D

/C

;)

Maybe he needs to take a look at the police force that was suppose to be securing the scene. This politician is an idiot plain and simple. This isn't "Trauma", we don't put our lives at risk by blatantly disregarding everything we have been taught about scene safety just so we can look like "Heroes". People who play "Hero" end up dead. Dead EMT's help no one.

I sent this individual the following email:

"Stokes,

You are an idiot. I am a Paramedic in the state of TN as well as a critical care RN and your criticism of AMR made you look like a fool and made your town look like a bunch of uneducated rednecks on a national level.

From the first day of EMT basic school we are taught, "Scene Safety". A dead EMT helps no one. I don't care if a shooting victim is laying out in the middle of the road bleeding to death, if an officer does not tell us the scene is safe, YOU DO NOT GO IN.

Answer me this, what would've happened if the EMT's were to go in on that scene and one ended up shot? Who does he help? He just becomes another liability on the scene and is one more person the police have to work to get to safety and get treated.

You must be wondering why I didn't start this message with, "The honorable Stokes", the answer is because I think you are an idiot. There is nothing honorable about an individual who can place blame on an ambulance service for doing what they were trained to do. It is the Police force that you need to be taking a look at and their delayed response time for whatever reason.

Do you think the DOT and the state board of EMS is going to start telling EMT's to disregard scene safety because it increases times to the patient? In the end if you are the paramedic and you are laying on the ground shot and dead, how the hell is this going to increase time to treatment? Perhaps it is time for the city to look into replacing you and your incompetence as opposed to replacing AMR.

Think again, Mr. Stokes.

Regards,

Robert F, NREMT-P AAS, RN BSN CCRN"

Here is Mr. Stoke's contact information on the city's website if you would like to do the same.

Mailing Address:

Post Office Box 17
219 South President Street
Jackson, Mississippi 39205-0017

Telephone: (601) 960-1090
FAX: (601) 960-1032

email: kstokes@city.jackson.ms.us

http://www.city.jackson.ms.us/government/ward3

SignorSchnitzel

Forum Ride Along
wow this politician is truly an idiot....one of the first things we are taught is not to gun in an unsafe seen, and if I see some dude laying out in the middle bleeding, with no police their to secure the scene, hell no, I'm not running in there.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I challenge the councilman to find an emergency ambulance service that will do what he proposes. I'm fairly certain the second any service agreed to go into unsecured scenes, their insurance would shoot through the roof.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
At first I had a glimmer of hope that it may be a knee-jerk reaction. But now that he openly states that he stands by his earlier statements... I'm at a loss for words, nothing can describe how disgusted I am.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
At first I had a glimmer of hope that it may be a knee-jerk reaction. But now that he openly states that he stands by his earlier statements... I'm at a loss for words, nothing can describe how disgusted I am.

What do you expect from someone who doesn't even have a proper grasp on the English language?

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Post removed,

Because this nonsense doesnt even warrant a response.

Last edited by a moderator:

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Out of the chute, I give benefit of the doubt; that's good politics. Fine, we should have, in every jurisdiction, somebody doing PR and education for EMS specifically; our bad.

But as someone holding the public trust, HE had the responsibility to learn what he was talking about before he opened his yap again and made a rectal fissure out of himself! Now, he deserves what he gets.

FIRE AWAY medicRob!

LonghornMedic

Forum Lieutenant
What do you expect from someone who doesn't even have a proper grasp on the English language?

I was thinking the exact same thing. And where is the local police chief in this discussion? I would think he or she would be voicing their opinion on EMS rushing into unsecured scenes. Maybe then this bonehead councilman would change his uneducated opinion(doubt it).

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I think we should flood his inbox with messages of support for AMR and call him out on his ignorance. I will be making a personal call in to his office to voice my concerns Monday over his blatant ignorance. We should work together as a community of EMS professionals to educate the public on "Scene Safety" and what that means for the EMS Provider, and we should call upon the EMS community to email this individual calling him out on his ignorance.

Last edited by a moderator:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Good to see most of the those who agree with Stokes are just members of the general public and not the actual decision makers.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I haven't heard him say anything about helping an engine on scene. I think you might have misheard him... he did said say something about helping the INJURED and it does kind of sound like he said engine, but he definitely said "the injured."

Just looking at Jackson Fire's website, I see that they do not have any ambulances and it sounds like they also do not have ALS capabilities. No mention of TEMS either, so I'm guessing they stage with AMR at scenes like this to provide some extra EMT hands.... and maybe hose down the blood afterwards.

OP
OP

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
The incident has caused outrage nationwide where EMS providers have sounded off in overwhelming support of the crew's actions, flooding message boards and Facebook pages discussing the topic, including JEMS and posts on JEMS.com. They've also filled local media comment boards and the local council's phone lines and e-mail addresses with the same.

It's working.