ALS Sleepover

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Good thing, most Medical Directors usually don't have any authority in administrative duties. Most are employed for the medical direction only, and will never interfere with daily operations. Not to be rude, but after you finish medical school come back and read your former posts and see what your thoughts are then.

Ten hours? That's not even a full shift.

R/r 911

Medical directors are often the last stop in the appeals process. You do know that, right?

medic417

The Truth Provider
Medical directors are often the last stop in the appeals process. You do know that, right?

Not here. Only thing regarding employment they have a say in is no that person can not work under my license.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Not here. Only thing regarding employment they have a say in is no that person can not work under my license.

I'd have a stern talking to with the instructor who dismissed the student.

Likely suspend his license for a while.

medic417

The Truth Provider

Can't suspend their license. Sorry not partof the medical directors job. And if they started butting in they would be replaced very quickly.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Can't suspend their license. Sorry not partof the medical directors job. And if they started butting in they would be replaced very quickly.

A medical director can't suspend an EMTs license? You're sorely mistaken- and then some.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
A medical director can't suspend an EMTs license? You're sorely mistaken- and then some.

Nope. Not any state I know of. They do NOT have the authority to do such. Since it is a license that is dispensed from the State of issued then they have a formal inquiry and follow the due process.

Now, the medical director can have the authority to suspend them not to work under their medical license, but can NOT suspend their license itself.

I suggest you might look at what the Medical Director authority really is. It is very limited and usually only have that limited power on strictly medical role. Daily operations is left to administrative operations. I have seen more than one medical director fired for interfering on operation and going against administrative duties.

EMS Medical Director do have a job description, you might want to read several and see their limited powers

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

If a medical director interfered or even spoke to me sternly, I would assure that he would be glad to remain in ER snd mind his/her own business. Local medical directors have NO say in any of the EMS programs in my area. Some are on advisory committees but that is the limit.

Again, I don't work for any medical director when teaching even the schools program medical director have no authority in my job performance. No medical director can touch my Instructor license more anyone else. Alike I described above, I am granted due process of an investigation, then suspension process from the State (if found warranted), then processed through a board (which does NOT consist of any EMS Medical Directors).

Not allowing one to sleep for 10 hours would never make it to investigation phase. After the investigators compose themselves from laughter, an investigation on the physician might be suggested with them worrying about such trivial administrative interactions.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Nope. Not any state I know of. They do NOT have the authority to do such. Since it is a license that is dispensed from the State of issued then they have a formal inquiry and follow the due process.

Now, the medical director can have the authority to suspend them not to work under their medical license, but can NOT suspend their license itself.

I suggest you might look at what the Medical Director authority really is. It is very limited and usually only have that limited power on strictly medical role. Daily operations is left to administrative operations. I have seen more than one medical director fired for interfering on operation and going against administrative duties.

EMS Medical Director do have a job description, you might want to read several and see their limited powers

R/r 911

I like when you use bold and capital letters, Rid. It makes me feel happy.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I asked for someone to explain how sleeping during clinicals is conducive to learning. You're there to learn and experience things, not nap. How much can you learn while you're unconscious? Nothing productive is being done. Your sole reason for being there is to learn the craft. All those hours spent sleeping would be better invested in completing more daytime clinicals, thus getting more pt contacts/study time. If you're soft and need sleep, too bad. Don't attempt to complete a 3-6 month program where everything is crammed together. A program has no business requiring(allowing) 24 hour clinicals. It tantamount to endorsing sleep time. I've never heard of this before coming to this site. Is this some medic mill tactic to shorten program time by cramming all those hours together?

Sasha

Forum Chief
I asked for someone to explain how sleeping during clinicals is conducive to learning. You're there to learn and experience things, not nap. How much can you learn while you're unconscious? Nothing productive is being done. Your sole reason for being there is to learn the craft. All those hours spent sleeping would be better invested in completing more daytime clinicals, thus getting more pt contacts/study time. If you're soft and need sleep, too bad. Don't attempt to complete a 3-6 month program where everything is crammed together. A program has no business requiring(allowing) 24 hour clinicals. It tantamount to endorsing sleep time. I've never heard of this before coming to this site. Is this some medic mill tactic to shorten program time by cramming all those hours together?

How conducive to learning is being overloaded from your 8th hour of studying in a row??? How are you to get more patient contacts when there are no patients?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I asked for someone to explain how sleeping during clinicals is conducive to learning. You're there to learn and experience things, not nap. How much can you learn while you're unconscious?

Yes. Sleep is when your brain forms new neuronal connections, organized the days issues, etc. When I want to memorize terms for one of my classes I study the terms right before bed. When I wake up they are all in my mind.

medic417

The Truth Provider
We need to break out some cheese to go with all the whine on here.

Sasha

Forum Chief

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
How conducive to learning is being overloaded from your 8th hour of studying in a row??? How are you to get more patient contacts when there are no patients?

Why did you choose a program that offers clinicals with little to no pt contact? Should've thought that one out ahead of time. How is 24 hours of no pt contact supposed to prepare you to be a medic?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Why did you choose a program that offers clinicals with little to no pt contact? Should've thought that one out ahead of time. How is 24 hours of no pt contact supposed to prepare you to be a medic?

When I chose my school, for one, I had no idea about EMS, it was just a fall away to do something while waiting for nursing school, medic was intergrated into the program and I was in medic before I got my emt cert.

I didn't know anything about EMS, I didn't know about their clinical sites and call volumes at those clinical sites.

And EVERY station can have a slow day.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Yes. Sleep is when your brain forms new neuronal connections, organized the days issues, etc. When I want to memorize terms for one of my classes I study the terms right before bed. When I wake up they are all in my mind.

Sure, but that can be done on your own time, at home, after the day's clinical is over. Nice try. You're stealing time by sleeping during a clinical. The program requires a certain amount of clinical hours for a reason.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
When I chose my school, for one, I had no idea about EMS, it was just a fall away to do something while waiting for nursing school, medic was intergrated into the program and I was in medic before I got my emt cert.

I didn't know anything about EMS, I didn't know about their clinical sites and call volumes at those clinical sites.

And EVERY station can have a slow day.

So you decided to do a medic program as an afterthought, as something to do to keep busy before nursing school? You were implying that you hardly see any pts on any given day, not just for the occasional slow one.

Sasha

Forum Chief
So you decided to do a medic program as an afterthought, as something to do to keep busy before nursing school? You were implying that you hardly see any pts on any given day, not just for the occasional slow one.

I know, my clinicals up until about P4 were very slow, it was annoying. I had a bright white cloud.

And yup, I never intended to be in EMS. I wanted to be a nurse, always have, an am regretting it because medic is messing with my nursing school plans.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I know, my clinicals up until about P4 were very slow, it was annoying. I had a bright white cloud.

And yup, I never intended to be in EMS. I wanted to be a nurse, always have, an am regretting it because medic is messing with my nursing school plans.

Is it possible to drop out of medic school and then begin nursing? You'd be better off, and could probably challenge the medic afterwards if you want.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Is it possible to drop out of medic school and then begin nursing? You'd be better off, and could probably challenge the medic afterwards if you want.

I'm not wasting two years of my life when I'm two gen eds away from the degree, althought useless, and sitting for the test and getting the really significant pay raise. I'll just start the pre reqs next semester