Airway

Ptrent

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
I’m emt basic student in Alabama and I been a emr driving the ambulance for about 7years now and I just took one my test and it kinda confused bc I always thought you couldn’t do it but question was you are transporting a unresponsive patient with a king airway in and during transport the patient regained consciousness what do you do
A was reinsure and calm the patient down
B was remove the airway
C keep providing positive ventilation
D to keep transporting
I put A bc I thought you couldn’t remove a king airway as a basic but the correct answer was B if someone could explain that would be great thanks

When a patient with a King airway regains consciousness, you should remove the device. It is designed for unresponsive patients without a gag reflex. If the patient becomes conscious, the airway can create an airway obstruction.

Removing the airway helps prevent these issues and allows the patient to maintain their airway.

E. Smash them over the head with an oxygen cylinder so they return to their unconscious state and you can continue airway management

If you were conscious would you be able to tolerate a king inside you? Or would you be gagging, feeling like you are choking, and be attempting to pull it out?

If you were conscious would you be able to tolerate a king inside you? Or would you be gagging, feeling like you are choking, and be attempting to pull it out?
I know a few people.... 😅

A King Tube isn't an ETT. If the patient becomes conscious, then the gag reflex often also become active which leads to vomiting. A KT won't stop emesis from getting into the airway. Thus, if the patient becomes conscious, you remove the KT. If you're authorized to drop a KT, you're also authorized to remove the KT if it is no longer indicated.

What does awake mean? Eye opening even with spontaneous breathing doesn't necessarily = gag reflex. If it's being tolerated, leave it in. If not, take it out.

I’m emt basic student in Alabama and I been a emr driving the ambulance for about 7years now and I just took one my test and it kinda confused bc I always thought you couldn’t do it but question was you are transporting a unresponsive patient with a king airway in and during transport the patient regained consciousness what do you do
A was reinsure and calm the patient down
B was remove the airway
C keep providing positive ventilation
D to keep transporting
I put A bc I thought you couldn’t remove a king airway as a basic but the correct answer was B if someone could explain that would be great thanks
The reason is - they are awake and will have a gag - it’s not a definitive airway anyway- so when they vomit it’s going to be a worse issue. For BLS airways - patients that regain consciousness you have to remove the airway- think of Kings/ Igels or “supraglottics” like oral airways or OPAs- if they are conscious the patient can’t accept an OPA - or supraglottic same with if they where down but now awake - does that help?

Back