Forum Asst. Chief
E arn
M oney
S leeping

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Must be a regional thing. Here its ASI.
Airway, stool, iPhone.

But you can actually do work on an iphone, so that may be a slippery slope.

(sorry for the delay, sometimes threads don't appear upgraded, I have no idea why.)

Sasha

Forum Chief
Where do I sign up for these upgraded threads?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
DRT - dead right there
DRTTTT - Dead right there, there, there, and there (for patients that aren't in one piece)

That's a lie!!!
The cake is a lie.

I also like APTFRAN - Apply pillow to face, repeat as necessary

BMW - B#$%^, moan, whine

ELF - Evil little f^&*ers (for little kids)

I read this one on student doctor network (SDN) awhile back and thought it was funny - SOCMOB - standing on corner, minding own business. Some people say SOCMOBRTB - standing on corner, midning own business, reading the bible. Y'know you have heard that story at least a googolplex too many times.

Those are the ones I like to say.

I read a story about a doctor going to court and being asked about TTFO, which it was suppose to be "told to f^&* off", but the doctor cleverly told the court it was to take fluids orally. I forget where I read that story. I personally doubt it's true, but still funny.

My county (in California) doesn't have an approved list of acronyms and abbreviations so I actually write out the whole thing. I agree with Smash, but also agree with what RidRyder (I think that's his name) said about being able to save time and space, but only use approved acronyms and abbreviations. Unfortunately my previous company didn't want me writing the generic name, only brand name. My current company is directionless in my opinion and I continued that habit from my previous company. Perhaps I'll start writing the generic name and see what happens?

Last edited by a moderator:

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I read a story about a doctor going to court and being asked about TTFO, which it was suppose to be "told to f^&* off", but the doctor cleverly told the court it was to take fluids orally. I forget where I read that story. I personally doubt it's true, but still funny.

Here you go!
Dr Fox said one doctor ended up in court and was asked by the judge to explain the abbreviation TTFO meant - an expletive expression roughly translated as "Told To F*** off”.
He said: ‘This guy was asked by the judge what the acronym meant, and luckily for him he had the presence of mind to say: 'To take fluids orally'.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...s-secret-language-revealed.html#ixzz1wZsl9zzE

flhtci01

Forum Captain
It's company dependent for what they accept in PCRs or ePCRs.

We don't use L&S it's usually code 3, running hot or "lit up". As far as charting it would be Code 3.

Use what your company accepts.

Our company uses ePCR and had a report bounce back because I used Code 1 (our L&S). I was told not to use "Code 1" because not everyone would know what it meant.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Use what your company accepts.

Our company uses ePCR and had a report bounce back because I used Code 1 (our L&S). I was told not to use "Code 1" because not everyone would know what it meant.

True that. I worked for two companies at the same time, and the codes were backwards. Code 1 was L&S at one place, and "3A" was an L&S ALS call at the other. I just wrote "responded priority" or "responded non emergent" in my charts.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
True that. I worked for two companies at the same time, and the codes were backwards. Code 1 was L&S at one place, and "3A" was an L&S ALS call at the other. I just wrote "responded priority" or "responded non emergent" in my charts.

Our charts have a stupid list of response types, Priority 1 through 3. 3 is non-emergent, 2 is emergent, so what the hell is 1? Seriously how come we can't just say emergent or non-emergent or priority or non-priority? Throwing in those numbers just makes it all sound ridiculous.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Our charts have a stupid list of response types, Priority 1 through 3. 3 is non-emergent, 2 is emergent, so what the hell is 1? Seriously how come we can't just say emergent or non-emergent or priority or non-priority? Throwing in those numbers just makes it all sound ridiculous.

We have priority 1-4 and 99. 1-2 are emergent, 8:29 response time standard and 10:29 response time standard respectively. 3 is non emergent, 4 is a transfer, 99 is an emergent transfer then is determined per physician request whether we use lights an sirens. You can't be diverted from a p1 or p99 even if another p1 drops right next to you unless a unit closer to the first call becomes available.

We have the multiple emergent priorities because our system is too damn busy, they have to be able to divert units was the explanation I got and it makes sense for here at least.

Compared to some systems ours seems simple. All the phonetic coding some systems use is a pain in the ***.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We have priority 1-4 and 99. 1-2 are emergent, 8:29 response time standard and 10:29 response time standard respectively. 3 is non emergent, 4 is a transfer, 99 is an emergent transfer then is determined per physician request whether we use lights an sirens. You can't be diverted from a p1 or p99 even if another p1 drops right next to you unless a unit closer to the first call becomes available.

We have the multiple emergent priorities because our system is too damn busy, they have to be able to divert units was the explanation I got and it makes sense for here at least.

Compared to some systems ours seems simple. All the phonetic coding some systems use is a pain in the ***.

How does your actual response differ between 1 and 2? I'm assuming the powers that be encourage you to arrive efficiently and safely to every call, hopefully a P1 call is not viewed by anyone as "must arrive within allotted time by any means necessary!"

EDIT: maybe I understand now, this is done more for dispatches sake? As in such an such ambulance is soon to run out of "response time" to meet the standard, therefore they cannot be diverted. That's the way it works (mostly) where i live in CO.

Last edited by a moderator: