Accepted to RN bridge!

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Our local community college opened up their LPN to RN program to paramedics and I found out today I was accepted!

I have so much of the coursework done, it'll be 5 semesters, 3 of which will have 2 classes (pharm 1, pharm 2, and human lifespan) and the rest are nursing core classes..

Wow, if you type w o o t! it makes it a hyperlink to a spam site.. interesting..

Last edited:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
congratulation Mike!

Monday

Forum Probie
I'm new so sorry if infraction of local protocol to post up...

But amazing news and congratulations to the acceptance :)
Best of luck with your next studies.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Our local community college opened up their LPN to RN program to paramedics and I found out today I was accepted!

I have so much of the coursework done, it'll be 5 semesters, 3 of which will have 2 classes (pharm 1, pharm 2, and human lifespan) and the rest are nursing core classes..

Wow, if you type w o o t! it makes it a hyperlink to a spam site.. interesting..
That's great!! It's only 5 semesters... My program required us to have all but perhaps a couple prereq's done for entry and those, if not done, were to be done during a summer semester. Of course I went through a "traditional" program and that took 4 semesters from start to done, all 4 semesters of which were full-time core nursing courses. Our LPN-RN upgrade program required that ALL prereq's be done as well along with a short primer course, and then those students could complete the upgrade with just 2 full-time semesters. The primer course was basically a "catch-up" course that covered material that LPN students don't usually get in their programs that 1st year RN students get.

Congrats!! It's going to be a lot of work, a lot of fun, and a different way of thinking about your patients.

OP
OP
F

FiremanMike

Just a dude
That's great!! It's only 5 semesters... My program required us to have all but perhaps a couple prereq's done for entry and those, if not done, were to be done during a summer semester. Of course I went through a "traditional" program and that took 4 semesters from start to done, all 4 semesters of which were full-time core nursing courses. Our LPN-RN upgrade program required that ALL prereq's be done as well along with a short primer course, and then those students could complete the upgrade with just 2 full-time semesters. The primer course was basically a "catch-up" course that covered material that LPN students don't usually get in their programs that 1st year RN students get.

Congrats!! It's going to be a lot of work, a lot of fun, and a different way of thinking about your patients.

So this is the middle step of a long journey for me.. I started back to college in 2009 because I wanted to fulfill my dream of going to medical school. Unfortunately life got in the way and I never found a time when I was going to be able to quit the FD in order to get the prereqs done, so I settled for a public safety degree instead..

So 2 years ago I started working on the prereqs for nursing with the plan of going right into a part time NP program, so the current plan is this RN in 5 semesters, followed by FNP over 27 months, then a post masters ACNP certificate over 12 months, all of which should line up with my pension date, so I’ll hopefully retire into a second career as an NP..

Why not medical school now? I just don’t want to do it all at 50.. Realistically, I feel I’d be successful down that pathway, but doctors never turn off their drive, nor would I, and I want to slow down a bit and enjoy life..

Missourimedic38

Forum Crew Member

Im interested in program and am a fireman. Can you PM I have questions

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Congrats!! It's going to be a lot of work, a lot of fun, a different way of thinking about your patients, and in the end you'll be really glad it's over and really glad you did it.

Fixed it for you. You are welcome.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Congratulations! Welcome to the dark side! ;)

Interesting it is still 5 semesters as a "bridge." My traditional BSN program was 4 semesters over 21mo (3mo off over the summer for externships or electives like critcare/ER). Sounds like the course load might be lighter so you can keep working more easily during school?

typing woot to see

Missourimedic38

Forum Crew Member
I live in saint louis, missouri and Im interested in paramedic to RN programs. I work full time and have a family. Anyone tried Excelsior or College Network?

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I live in saint louis, missouri and Im interested in paramedic to RN programs. I work full time and have a family. Anyone tried Excelsior or College Network?

Some on here can speak to the Excelsior program however it is not a perfect solution.

IMO get your prerequisites done, save up, and go for Goldfarb's upper division. I did not have a family but worked part time during the program and got tuition assistance through the hospital I was working for.

Missourimedic38

Forum Crew Member
Some on here can speak to the Excelsior program however it is not a perfect solution.

IMO get your prerequisites done, save up, and go for Goldfarb's upper division. I did not have a family but worked part time during the program and got tuition assistance through the hospital I was working for.
Awesome, did you work at Christian EMS?

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
No personal experience, but California does not accept Excelsior.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN

Pardon the late reply, but stand your ground. I had my didactic and clinical instructors telling me ad nauseum that I was a nursing student and couldn't do what a medic does. I reminded them I know how to stay in my lane and knew I was a student. One clinical instructor wouldn't let it go and I pulled her aside and told her nicely to f**k off. And guess who got asked by the floor nurses to start IVs on their hard sticks?????