Sasha

Forum Chief
Cincinnati FD was first official department in the nation, established April 1, 1853

Annnnnnd?

diez chars.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Cincinnati FD was first official department in the nation, established April 1, 1853

Funny, last I checked, Ben Franklin made the first known fire department in Philly, over 100 years prior.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief

And?

Objection your honor! Relevance!?

Couldn't help myself hehe.

FYI : They were not doing EMS in 1853

reaper

Working Bum
That's because he was burning down the city with lightening!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Cory

Forum Captain
Funny, last I checked, Ben Franklin made the first known fire department in Philly, over 100 years prior.

That was not an official government funded service or anything. It was a new idea on the rise.

Sasha

Forum Chief
:rolleyes:

2009 - 1853 = 156

Annnnnnndddd?

EMS is something relatively new... and was originally done by funeral services, not the FD.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
2009 - 1853 = 156

"Fire based" = "Fire based EMS", not "Fire Department". EMS has not been around in it's current form for 100 years, and it sure as heck hasn't been in the FD longer then it has existed as an entity.

Cory

Forum Captain
Hmmm, the CFD patch lied to me !!!! :sad::sad::sad:

Seriously though, I stand corrected.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
That was not an official government funded service or anything. It was a new idea on the rise.

You said first official, to which I proved that it was not. You never qualified what you meant as "official" with "government funding" or any other qualifier.

Sasha

Forum Chief
nononono, I am saying that is most likely a large reason why private EMS is not present in Cincinnati 911 resonse yet.

Don't blame the uninsured. A 911 service CANNOT refuse care or transport based on inability to pay. EMTALA, anyone?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Hmmm, the CFD patch lied to me !!!! :sad::sad::sad:

Seriously though, I stand corrected.

Word of advice...don't use what you see on a patch as a basis for an argument. You should always do your own research and support your arguments with facts.

Cory

Forum Captain
Don't blame the uninsured. A 911 service CANNOT refuse care or transport based on inability to pay. EMTALA, anyone?

So tell me, what is the process that happens after an uninsured person is transported by private EMS?(other than care, I mean as far as paying the bill and all)

Sasha

Forum Chief
So tell me, what is the process that happens after an uninsured person is transported by private EMS?(other than care, I mean as far as paying the bill and all)

They are evaluated and treated appropriately at the hospital. It's done case by case. HERE it's usually a tax write off or they can try and get the money, but no use trying to get turnip juice out of blood.

Cory

Forum Captain
Word of advice...don't use what you see on a patch as a basis for an argument. You should always do your own research and support your arguments with facts.

Oh come on, do you really think I just got that from a patch? I just mis-read the information. And in a way I was still right, depending on what extant the argument entailed (look at the original posts, I am not quoting them all right now)

reaper

Working Bum

They bill them. If it is not paid, it goes to collections. If it is still not paid, they write it off!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If they are uninsured, they get a bill in their mailbox. They are then to work out a payment plan with the providing agency. That's IF the name and address given to the crew is real.

You DO know some fire based EMS bill people as well, right? Just because it's fire based doesn't mean it's free.

Cory

Forum Captain
They are evaluated and treated appropriately at the hospital. It's done case by case. HERE it's usually a tax write off or they can try and get the money, but no use trying to get turnip juice out of blood.

no use... you can't tell me everyone just forgets about it. And that doesn't seem like a good situation for a high poverty area where insurance is less than common.

Sasha

Forum Chief
no use... you can't tell me everyone just forgets about it. And that doesn't seem like a good situation for a high poverty area where insurance is less than common.

Did you miss where I said they use it as a tax write off?