911 providers: Does your agency charge people for having you come over?

patzyboi

Forum Lieutenant
Does your agency/county charge people for calling you?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yes and no. We charge for transports. We also charge for a select criteria of AMAs.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
We're 100% funded through the county, and to a lesser extent, the state. No charge for transports or anything else from us, although the transporting ambulance company does charge.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
IFTs are free to residents of the province.
911 are a flat 130 for residents and 650 for non residents.
no transport = no bill

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
No charge for just the call, it was figured into the overall business expenses. We charged for certain treatments that didnt require transport.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
If you call us for EMS and you meet one of our definitions for a patient, we charge at least a minor fee if we don't transport ($45 I think). Of course any treatments are billed (we treat and release a ton of hypoglycemics and heroin ODs). If you didn't call us, and you didn't want us there (ie passerby calls in an mvc, family member calls for someone who wants absolutely nothing to do with us) then we don't bill. We also have ways to code runs to where the patient won't get billed for non-transports. We'll use those a lot for lift assists.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We charge only for transports.

Unless we work a code which is a flat fee.

forum

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
From what I've heard in Massachusetts:

BLS: $600 and up
ALS: $1000 and up

throw in a couple drugs and the price goes up. I've heard companies bill as much as $2000 for a code.

And I've yet to hear them charge for refusal. But to be honest, people in the streets are so far removed from billing that you never hear about it.

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
I'm a volunteer on two departments. One is a municipal department, and the other is an all volunteer, non-profit department. Neither one charges unless we transport.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Does your agency/county charge people for calling you?

No.

We only charge if we transport.

Only exception is cardiac arrests that we work. They get charged transported or not. Transported is obviously more expensive but neither is cheap since it gets billed as ALS2 if I understand it correctly.

Word on the street is we might start charging for diabetic wake ups but ill believe it when I see it.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
Depends

Billing and fees seems to vary by department. I work/volunteer with two different departments that bill very differently.

Department A: We call it soft billing. Insurance companies are billed for the transport and treatment of a patient. If patients have no insurance or insurance will no cover, no charge to patient and we take it as a loss. In this same department will bill $100 for a refusal/lift assist, keep in mind most insurance will not pay and we do not receive anything.

Department B: Generally all treatments and transports are billed. If you can not afford it or insurance does not cover, unfortunately it does go into collections. However by agreement with township, no patients are billed on refusals, lift assists, motor vehicles accidents and transports/refusals from fire calls.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Sacramento Metro Fire charges a fee of approximately $275 as a first responder/treat & no transport fee. If they transport, they also bundle certain fees so that their ALS base rate is $1615, Mileage is $28.78, Oxygen (if used) is $119.58, their Night fee is $105.34, and if the monitor is used it's $93.23. These are right off their Board Meeting summary for January 12, 2012 and I believe that's when they made those changes. It used to be that they didn't charge for a response, only transport.