Young EMS Personnell

Status
Not open for further replies.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
well BLSBoy, I seem to do a good job according to all the local ALS, Hospitals, and other BLS companies. It's a shame that you view me very incapable of doing my job, after all, since I'm not a "Paramedic" and I didn't go to college for a "degree" in how to provide Emergency Medical Services I can't possibly know what I'm doing. Unfortinately, according to the state, I'm not doing anything wrong. BLS isn't rocket science, but who am I to say...

I don't think anyone is saying you're incapable; rather you're inexperienced at a position that takes many, many years of EMS and administrative experience to master. At 19, I just can't see you having the experience nor the education needed to have a solid grasp on EMS management or care. Have you had to suspend or terminate a friend from your agency because they are violating protocols or SOP's? Have you tried to make those crusty old members follow new procedures they see as ideas from a "FNG"? Those are just two of the many lessons you will have to overcome as a "officer". Tough decisions are part of the job...

Also, with your system being on the smaller end, you may be doing a great job according to your ALS personnel, hospital, other companies...but that may also be because the call volume is low and you don't have many calls that increase the "pucker factor"...for lack of a better term. Complacency is a killer in EMS....always look for ways to improve.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
You know, it just comes down to the person. Really, I have seen bad medics, bad EMTs, Nurses, DRs. It is all the same in other jobs and everything else you do. So, ya BLS isn't hard to me, I am even going back to school for ALS as I have been inspired by the ALS crew members here. Don't bash BLS, we all have a common goal to reach. My medic teacher loves her emt, says that without him, she would be lost sometimes. Like I said just the person and the attitude you have to go with it.

He wasn't really bashing BLS as much as he was bashing some of the people that are charged with providing it. Since the educational barrier to entry is soo low for EMT-Basics, a lot more idiots make it into the industry than in other health care professions.

It is nothing personal against any of us BLS providers (yes, I still am one).

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
He wasn't really bashing BLS as much as he was bashing some of the people that are charged with providing it. Since the educational barrier to entry is soo low for EMT-Basics, a lot more idiots make it into the industry than in other health care professions.

It is nothing personal against any of us BLS providers (yes, I still am one).

I used bash for a lack of a better term. I agree the standard needs to be raised on the testing. I saw alot of "slackers" like one kids always showed up in flip flops, Pj pants, and a T-top. I was like..really? So, I can see your points and agree.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Any pictures?

Don't we have a thread around here some place for pictures of the kids?

He has pictures, but in order to do that you must first sign up for facebook and then add him as a friend and then go BACK to his page once he accepts you as a friend to look.

Personally it was too much work. I quit after signing up.

All in favor?

I.

OP
OP
B

bmennig

Forum Crew Member
el Murpharino I agree, I'm not saying I'm the greatest because I know I'm not, nobody is the greatest in anything they do. We all have our strong points but if people have the attitude that they are the best when it comes to EMS they're full of $HI*. When you have an EMS service that is going to go extinct because nobody gives a crap about it, I.E. My agency, somebody needs to fill in the space and that somebody was me. In regards to me getting rid of friends and teaching old dogs new tricks I've done it. It's not the easiest to do but I've done it. As far as the low call volume, I can't help that so therefore my agency shouldn't be judged by that. For the calls we get, we do well. Are we going to get calls that we don't do the best on? absolutely, are we going to learn from our peers and medics as well as the hospital staff? absolutely. I don't feel as though I'm to young to do this job. I have people around me that guide me through it that run their own private ambulance services. I feel as though all that information that I have available to me, around me, will make me a better leader.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
When you have an EMS service that is going to go extinct because nobody gives a crap about it, I.E. My agency, somebody needs to fill in the space and that somebody was me. In regards to me getting rid of friends and teaching old dogs new tricks I've done it. It's not the easiest to do but I've done it. As far as the low call volume, I can't help that so therefore my agency shouldn't be judged by that. For the calls we get, we do well. Are we going to get calls that we don't do the best on? absolutely, are we going to learn from our peers and medics as well as the hospital staff? absolutely. I don't feel as though I'm to young to do this job.

It's the unfortunate truth of small-town EMS - extinction. I know first-hand the plight of these departments, living in a town that is serviced by one. Lack of volunteers combined with increased requirements make people not want to join or stay. Nothing you can really do to combat that, alike your call volume. Again, out of your hands.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
It's the unfortunate truth of small-town EMS - extinction. I know first-hand the plight of these departments, living in a town that is serviced by one. Lack of volunteers combined with increased requirements make people not want to join or stay. Nothing you can really do to combat that, alike your call volume. Again, out of your hands.

Regionalization. Billing for services.
You also can't help those that don't want it. Face it, you move out to the sticks, and pay 50 cents a year in taxes (obviously being facetious), you can't expect high quality government services.
Like you said, out of your hands.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
Regionalization. Billing for services.
You also can't help those that don't want it. Face it, you move out to the sticks, and pay 50 cents a year in taxes (obviously being facetious), you can't expect high quality government services.
Like you said, out of your hands.

Most definitely. Many small town departments still hold on to the old-school mentality of "eating" the costs involved with running an ambulance and hoping to raise funds through chicken BBQ's, donation letters, a shrinking tax base, and the like. These times are gone, my friends...it's sh*t or get off the pot time.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
This thread needs a DNR.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Doesn't matter. GOMERS don't die.

eynonqrs

Forum Lieutenant
Well, this should be my final post on this thread, because it makes me puke to see all this bashing going on.

1) To the young officers in the EMS service, I applaud you. You are the future of our service. We have just recently got 6 new members that are young to join our service.

2) We have members that not only volunteer ems professionals, but medical professionals. There are people that got interested to further themselves in the medical field because of this. We are not just doing it for a "hobby".

3) Pennsylvania has the highest ratio of volunteers in the US. We do save taxpayers millions of dollars. Everyone has seen cities and towns that are in the red. In fact there is a township in PA that has to go bankrupt. What is the services that cities cut ? EMS/FIRE/POLICE.

4) All of you that bash volunteers, have you even seen a service, ridden along, or just plain have a civil conversation with them ? You would be surprised how many of them have excellent training, and are professional.

I am proud and will always be proud to be a volunteer. I am done arguing with childish people on here.

OP
OP
B

bmennig

Forum Crew Member
Thanks eynonqrs, I totally agree. Thanks to the rest of you that have agreed with me and what I'm trying to do and for those of you that think I'm retarded and or stupid as well as unprofessional, that's to bad because I could care less what your opinion is. To give me positive input and constructive criticism to make me and my agency better is one thing, but to bash me, my agency, and volunteers in general is a piss poor attitude as well as disrespectful.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
And that's enough of this one...

To those of you that only want to hear from people that agree with you, that is not what this forum is about. It is about discussion, and for discussion to be productive, you must have different opinions. How boring would this place be if everyone agreed with each other?

adminsn1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.