Young EMS Personnell

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmennig

Forum Crew Member
Hello all,
I'm new to the forum so if something like this was posted I apologize. I'm the EMS Capt for a very small town BLS ambulance. We average 400 or so calls a year, all of which are 911 based. I'm 19 years old and I'm taking on my second year as EMS Capt and my 2 Lieutenants are 18 and 19 as well. I was wondering if there are other companies out there that have a young crew like ours. We experience a lot of bashing because of our ages and the types of positions we hold from people who have been involved in EMS for many many years. Their philosophy is that they have been doing this for longer than we've been born so we cant possibly know what were doing and that our patient care cant be good either. We've had no bad reports from hospitals in or our area as far as patient care and the same goes for the ALS providers we work with. It's just very disappointing, for me especially, when you or your crew gets bashed and your the guy responsible for keeping them up to par. I'm looking for any insight on this or if anybody has had a similar problem. Thanks - Brian

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
What is the criteria for officer promotion in this organization?

And what does an organization that small need with all these captains and lieutenants anyhow? Is it just a prestige thing to make them feel special? Because, while I have no problem whatsoever with young providers, it doesn't appear that this agency is intelligently selecting their leadership. It is just impossible that these teenagers have the experience or education necessary to competently fulfil leadership positions in the medical profession. If they are the most capable people in the bunch, then age is not a factor. I'm just guessing that is not the case though.

OP
OP
B

bmennig

Forum Crew Member
Well, we are the only individuals that want to do it. Our ambulance is oriented with the FD and we are in the same building. Every new person that walks in is roped into going onto the firetruck and the heck with the ambulance. There is no set procedure for having officers age/experience wise other than the basics (EMT/CPR etc.). We have EMS officers so the ambulance has people that supervise it and make sure it's operated per state standards. I hope that clairifys it...

Last edited by a moderator:

8jimi8

CFRN
Bud, all you can do is make sure that you are the best provider that you can be and the same for the crew under your command. Don't take it personally, or just use it as fuel to make yourself better... and don't return the favor when you've been in the business for 5-10 more years!

sop

Forum Lieutenant
Hello all,
I'm new to the forum so if something like this was posted I apologize. I'm the EMS Capt for a very small town BLS ambulance. We average 400 or so calls a year, all of which are 911 based. I'm 19 years old and I'm taking on my second year as EMS Capt and my 2 Lieutenants are 18 and 19 as well. I was wondering if there are other companies out there that have a young crew like ours. We experience a lot of bashing because of our ages and the types of positions we hold from people who have been involved in EMS for many many years. Their philosophy is that they have been doing this for longer than we've been born so we cant possibly know what were doing and that our patient care cant be good either. We've had no bad reports from hospitals in or our area as far as patient care and the same goes for the ALS providers we work with. It's just very disappointing, for me especially, when you or your crew gets bashed and your the guy responsible for keeping them up to par. I'm looking for any insight on this or if anybody has had a similar problem. Thanks - Brian

There was a television series on The Disney Channel titled " In A Heartbeat". It was based on a real-life EMS service ran by high school students. So yes there are other young EMS companies out there. "Age is just a number." B)

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
If older providers looks down on you for being young, all you can do is prove them wrong.

sop

Forum Lieutenant
If older providers looks down on you for being young, all you can do is prove them wrong.

I totally agree, but don't break any rules in doing so.

Scriptor

Forum Probie
Im the youngest guy in the company, and Im only 21. I get ragged on by some of the senior members for being helpless or whatever. Its good fun. I usually crack back by saying Im taking their job. 18-19 year olds working together in one crew sounds risky, if only because the age group is notorious for being less careful, i guess. Could just be a stereotype you need to work through though.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
EMS is a whole different beast than SAR, but still..

I served as Lt. of training and ops, and was the EMS officer when I was 17-18. I never had any issues and the fire dept. medics let me run BLS calls and didn't take over or act like jerks when we had a pt. we needed to transfer to them or what not. Then again, we have been working with some of these agencies for over 50 years, and it's always been youth. Due to the cyclical nature of the team, I now hold no rank, but I help instruct.

Just make sure you hold respect for the experience and wisdom of your elders, and don't just hold it, SHOW it. True, you may be a quality leader and an excellent care provider, but there is SO much to say for someone with the years of experience to really back that up. You will want the same one day, when you're an old fart too. Make sure that you make good use of the resources around you too. Don't get so caught up in your rank that you can't ask for help, support or advice from those who have been doing it longer.

Katie Elaine

Forum Probie
Hello =)
I'm a 17 yo EMT-B, just got my cert about a month ago. I would be continuing on to get my Intermediate, and to take a FFI course, but because I'm enlisted in the army and leaving in a few months, there is no time for me to take the courses.
Just last weekend, I ran with a five person crew: The I-tech (In his 50's), A B-tech (17), an MRT (15) and observer (16) and a driver (19). At my department you need to have someone older than 18 to drive the ambulance, and none of the I-techs are underage, but my department has a respect for all its members, no matter the age. In my class, I had more devotion and want for the job than many of the older students, and from what I've heard from my chief and people from other departments, they see more promise in me than many of those other students. (By the way, I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging, just illustrating a point that age doesn't matter.)

I agree that there should be an age limit to some point, but age doesn't matter, as long as you have the drive and knowledge to want to do your job. I've been talked down to, and have been denied from my local department for my age, despite their pleads for more members. Its ridiculous.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
As long as you handle your responsibilities. Whats the issue?

I think maybe 18 should be the cut-off. Anyone younger then that there could be an issue. We dont need added responsibility on scene of wondering where you are and if your safe.

Not that you need babysitting, I just dont want to explain to your parents how something happened to you on scene.

Eighteen your an adult, you can make decisions for yourself.

curt

Forum Crew Member
20 years old here. Couldn't find a job around here, primarily due to my age, secondarily because everybody's looking for medics, not drivers (The EMT-Is. For some reason, medics around here just do not trust their EMTs for beans). Taking medic school to improve on myself and keep my skills sharp.

NEMed2

Forum Crew Member
I know plenty of younger people in EMS, in positions of leadership. Sometimes, it takes the fresh face & ideas to make the changes we all want.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
There was a television series on The Disney Channel titled " In A Heartbeat". It was based on a real-life EMS service ran by high school students. So yes there are other young EMS companies out there. "Age is just a number." B)

I remember watching that show when I was a kid, and thinking I want to do that! Until now though, I didn't remember that memory :)

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
We've had no bad reports from hospitals in our area as far as patient care and the same goes for the ALS providers we work with.

Let your actions speak louder than the naysayers words. Sounds like you're not letting a lack of years affect your patient care or outcome. Keep fighting for the feedback you're receiving from the ALS units and the hospital/Med Control. The next time you get a dart tossed at you, make sure you let the person know that you are always looking for good people with experience and hand them an application. Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I remember watching that show when I was a kid, and thinking I want to do that! Until now though, I didn't remember that memory :)

Personally, was trying to forget about that joke of a show and those similar in real life.

R/r 911

Katie Elaine

Forum Probie
As long as you handle your responsibilities. Whats the issue?

I think maybe 18 should be the cut-off. Anyone younger then that there could be an issue. We dont need added responsibility on scene of wondering where you are and if your safe.

Not that you need babysitting, I just dont want to explain to your parents how something happened to you on scene.

Eighteen your an adult, you can make decisions for yourself.

IMHO, if you can take the course, pass all the tests, and prove yourself under observation time, you should be able to join a department. State laws ban underage EMT's from working for pay, and (at least in Connecticut) The Boy Scouts of CT make the volunteer cut off age 15. We have curfews of when we can and cannot work. But I, by no means, (and I speak for all underage members of my department) need constant supervision. I work by the side of my crew, and I don't need watching over, and the Crew-head trying to keep track of me. Also, we need parent permission to work on the department, so our parents understand the risks of their child riding on an ambulance. I also do not need anyone making sure that I am safe. I agree with the 15 cut off age, but there is a certain level of maturity needed to take and pass the class, and we understand that once we are on a call, we need to take that maturity to the next level. And if, for any reason, our chief believes that we are not mature enough to ride, she will discuss the matter with us, with the board, and will remove us from the department until a further date.

Sasha

Forum Chief
IMHO, if you can take the course, pass all the tests, and prove yourself under observation time, you should be able to join a department. State laws ban underage EMT's from working for pay, and (at least in Connecticut) The Boy Scouts of CT make the volunteer cut off age 15. We have curfews of when we can and cannot work. But I, by no means, (and I speak for all underage members of my department) need constant supervision. I work by the side of my crew, and I don't need watching over, and the Crew-head trying to keep track of me. Also, we need parent permission to work on the department, so our parents understand the risks of their child riding on an ambulance. I also do not need anyone making sure that I am safe. I agree with the 15 cut off age, but there is a certain level of maturity needed to take and pass the class, and we understand that once we are on a call, we need to take that maturity to the next level. And if, for any reason, our chief believes that we are not mature enough to ride, she will discuss the matter with us, with the board, and will remove us from the department until a further date.

Children really have no place in EMS. Heck some "adults" I've seen don't. It would be very hypocritical of me to think EMTs should be 21 or older, especially considering those who are below that age limit on HERE, most conduct themselves in a mature and professional manner, but ugh, off the boards, it's like a bunch of 5 year olds are riding around on the ambulances.

Katie Elaine

Forum Probie
Children really have no place in EMS. Heck some "adults" I've seen don't. It would be very hypocritical of me to think EMTs should be 21 or older, especially considering those who are below that age limit on HERE, most conduct themselves in a mature and professional manner, but ugh, off the boards, it's like a bunch of 5 year olds are riding around on the ambulances.

I'm a bit offended, but at the same time, you've never ridden a call with me, so you really have no place saying that.
I agree to a certain degree, there are kids who ride around and don't take anything seriously, but that is a gross generalization. I've been asked by many people in the surrounding area to join their departments, and have been handed applications by paid services to join the service once I hit 18. I've been told I am better than some adult EMT's. So, please, I would appreciate it if you wouldn't make such broad statements. And just to make it clear, I am quite aware I have a lot to learn, but that's why I'm doing this- to learn. But I know quite well what I'm doing, and both on and off shift I present myself in a respectable manner. Yea, I'm a teenager, I act like a teenager behind closed doors, but I stay away from stuff that could get me in trouble (drink, smoke, drugs, etc), and, ESPECIALLY when I'm wearing my colors, I hold myself to the highest degree, and understand that my behavior is expected to reflect that of my Ambulance Association.

I honestly hope that at some point you can ride with a good underage EMT, so that you can see that there are times when age isn't even questioned because he or she works just as hard as any adult EMT would.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I'm really not concerned with how good you think you are. I stand by the same statement I made before. I don't think children have a place in EMS. Period. Florida does not allow EMTs under the age of 18, and for good reason.

People try to make this a profession. A profession is for adults, not children.

Status
Not open for further replies.