You know you are a dinosaur when

OP
OP
E

ECC

Forum Captain
They made us remove sandbags off the rigs years ago. Mebbe your company can pony up for headbeds or even towel rolls.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by ECC@May 20 2005, 12:39 AM
They made us remove sandbags off the rigs years ago. Mebbe your company can pony up for headbeds or even towel rolls.
They won't fit b/c the board slide under the bench seat. We'd need another rig just to carry the equipment we want.. Only carry what the state says we need. I don't agree, but I get paid to think like that. :huh:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I don't think any squad in the county still has sandbags on an ambulance. As for towel rolls - I've worked on a few transport rigs with towel rolls for "spare" CIDs - very useful, don't loose tears over not seeing them again.

I did play with sandbags at scout camp once... I KNOW why they aren't used....

As for state required stuff, TTLWHKR - you do have your 25 3x3's?

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@May 20 2005, 03:30 PM
I don't think any squad in the county still has sandbags on an ambulance. As for towel rolls - I've worked on a few transport rigs with towel rolls for "spare" CIDs - very useful, don't loose tears over not seeing them again.

I did play with sandbags at scout camp once... I KNOW why they aren't used....

As for state required stuff, TTLWHKR - you do have your 25 3x3's?

Jon
Yes...

We keep this box under the bench seat of stuff that is strictly required, but never used... A box of 25 3"x3" Gauze Pads... That is prolly ten years old!

We use bags of 200ct. 4x4's normally. Probably have ten sterile 4x4's, slap a sterile one on the wound and then stack it with non steriles.

cbdemt

Forum Lieutenant
We still use towell rolls, I hadn't even seen a head block till I started P-school in another system.

We still carry MAST pants too... any one else? Anyone use them in the last 5 years???

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Yea we carry Mast trousers. Never seen them used and they probley wont our med director doesn't like them. If I remeber right the are shoved under the bench seat.

OP
OP
E

ECC

Forum Captain
MUST

GET

BACK

ON TOPIC!

:angry: ;)

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by cbdemt@May 21 2005, 01:11 PM
We still use towell rolls, I hadn't even seen a head block till I started P-school in another system.

We still carry MAST pants too... any one else? Anyone use them in the last 5 years???
Used the MAST/PASG whatever two weeks ago for a MVC patient, internal injuries, no chest or lower leg injuries; cold, pale, diaphoretic, BP 68/40; Pulse 146; Sinus Tach. Had that "dead" look about his face. Called MC for orders; ran 2x 18ga w/ NS & LR; applied suit; inflated all fields.. BP Came up to 110/70; Heart rate stabilized to 108. Patient had a splenic injury from the steering wheel, no bowel or diaphragm injs. Survived.

Most trauma patients I have used the MAST on, for its intended purpose of shock treatment, have died either en route, or in the OR. Otherwise I’ve used the suit for pelvic injuries, and bilateral femur fractures. We do have one of those Sager splints where you can pull traction for both legs, but as far as traction goes, I like my Thomas splint. I’ll settle for a Hare, But over all, I choose Thomas, and they don’t do well for bilats.

I was pleased w/ the outcome.

Most topics go off topic, but they seem to carry on better that way. :unsure:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
More proof PA is still in "Funeral Home" and "Johnny and Roy" Days - Thomas splints and MAST - State of the Art.....

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@May 22 2005, 03:29 PM
More proof PA is still in "Funeral Home" and "Johnny and Roy" Days - Thomas splints and MAST - State of the Art.....
Local funeral home uses their old ambulance as a hearse still. No nights or siren, but the etched lead glass windows still say "Funeral Home" centered over "& Ambulance Service".

OP
OP
E

ECC

Forum Captain
Ahhh the good old days of one stop shopping!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Gould monitors

The original 12 Paramedic modules

Nancy Caroline ( D.O.T. curriculum/emergency care in the streets)

Epi w/cardiac needles

telemetry

Monitors with no print-outs

The bouncing ball type oscillopes

Gel or saline packs for your paddles (ground some before you defib)

ACLS cert really meant something

Visibar light bars

Mars & kojac light bar

2 man cots.. with handles on the side

short back-boards.. x-strap style

Paramedic International Magazine

NAEMT studies & research journal

Trauma I.V. tubing

never wearing gloves

Be safe,
Ridryder 911

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by ridryder 911@May 25 2005, 02:06 AM

Epi w/cardiac needles
I've heard stories....

make sure they are REALLY, REALLY, REALLY dead... give em' intracardiac Epi... they can now bleed out or have cardiac tamponade to look foward to if you do happen to revive them.

Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Margaritaville@May 18 2005, 02:20 PM
Oh lord what memories -

I remember thinking the patch EOA/MAST was "special".

Remember sandbags and cadillac ambulances, and when the funeral home would donate an old hearse to be used as an ambulance, ick!

I saw an Emergency Care essentails book the other day at an EMT class. It was book #18 or so. I had Book #2 in EMT school (84 hours back then).

Now I feel old! :blink:
My dad has Emergency Care of the Sick and Injured - I belive 1st Ed.

I brought it to -P school, and razzed my insturctor about whether or not he helped write it.....

Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by usafmedic45@May 17 2005, 11:26 PM

And I think APE is Acute Pulmonary Edema, although I could see pulmonary embolism abbreviated as that.
Or we could be talking about chimp's relatives

OP
OP
E

ECC

Forum Captain
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+May 27 2005, 08:57 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ May 27 2005, 08:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Margaritaville@May 18 2005, 02:20 PM
Oh lord what memories -

I remember thinking the patch EOA/MAST was "special".

Remember sandbags and cadillac ambulances, and when the funeral home would donate an old hearse to be used as an ambulance, ick!

I saw an Emergency Care essentails book the other day at an EMT class. It was book #18 or so. I had Book #2 in EMT school (84 hours back then).

Now I feel old! :blink:
My dad has Emergency Care of the Sick and Injured - I belive 1st Ed.

I brought it to -P school, and razzed my insturctor about whether or not he helped write it.....

Jon [/b][/quote]
I have the Third Edition... :D

OP
OP
E

ECC

Forum Captain
Originally posted by ridryder 911@May 25 2005, 01:06 AM
Gould monitors

The original 12 Paramedic modules

Nancy Caroline ( D.O.T. curriculum/emergency care in the streets)

Epi w/cardiac needles

telemetry

Monitors with no print-outs

The bouncing ball type oscillopes

Gel or saline packs for your paddles (ground some before you defib)

ACLS cert really meant something

Visibar light bars

Mars & kojac light bar

2 man cots.. with handles on the side

short back-boards.. x-strap style

Paramedic International Magazine

NAEMT studies & research journal

Trauma I.V. tubing

never wearing gloves

Be safe,
Ridryder 911
Twinsonics anyone?

How about the Mars light or the Rotoray (Still used by some).

Never wearing gloves...Oh boy...those were the days...Blood up to your neck, on the ceiling of the bus...no big deal, just 10-2 for new uniforms and a clean up!

Intracardiac needles still sometimes show up...low bid, you know ;)

Remember when we could still use the paddles?!?

We were still using Blood pumps when I left NY...I loved those things...boy you could go through a liter of ringers in a few moments!

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Most of the fire apparatus in the Dept. of Forestry have twin sonic light bars. They are new trucks too, so they must have had a slew of them in State Surplus.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by ECC@May 28 2005, 05:24 PM
Twinsonics anyone?

How about the Mars light or the Rotoray (Still used by some).
Yep.

Rotorays are AWSOME!

How about sirens in lightbars?