You just might be a volly EMT if...

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
you come across a cardiac arrest at the same time as a paramedic, the medic says "Mug him!" and not knowing where those protective shields are, you do it.

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
you guys got me :blush: I am a vollie EMT...according to your standards....but proud!

NJN

The Young One
I'm guilty of the one about hearing sirens. I will say who is responding and if its from our service i know which rig. Also when i'm with one of my non ES buddies in town and they hear a siren they point at me and ask "That you?"

wlamoreemtb

Forum Crew Member
your cellphone ringtone is also your pager tone

JPINFV

Gadfly
You might be a volly if:

You think a little blue light means anything (physics might disagree with ya)

You fight against increasing the class time for EMT-Bs because, damn it, you just don't have the "time." (yet you have time to put lights in your car)

You have a Star of Life tatoo that's visable.

You don't get paid at the end of the week (or every 2 weeks).

You complain that you shouldn't be held to the same standards as everyone else because you don't get paid.

You think that everyone who calls for higher standards are just jackasses trying to do away with the vollies because EMS is more about an ego stroke than patient care.

Did I miss anything?

sucked-in

Forum Ride Along
You know you're a volunteer if...
When you ask the member of the opposite sex if he/she has "protection," you both know you are talking about gloves, but laugh and have a comment involving sexual inuendos anyway.

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
If you cover your car in bumper stickers such as,

"I save lives. What do you do?"

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
If you cover your car in bumper stickers such as,

"I save lives. What do you do?"

i wanted to get that one too, they have the ones with the maltese cross and one with the star of life...im such a wacker

EMT815

Forum Probie
You see your buddy from the squad the day after they are on duty and the first thing you say is "get any good calls yesterday?"

certguy

Forum Captain
You may be a REDNECK vollie if ;

Your tacle box doubles as a trauma box .

You use your buddy's fishin' pole as a splint cause he's been catchin' more than you .

You defibulate with jumper cables .

Who needs a siren ? stick your head out the window and howl .

Who needs a backboard ? use a door .

Who needs a ambulance ? Throw em in the back of the chevy .

Who needs a splint ? ain't nobody else got a cool lookin ' arm like that !

You save your buddy a few bucks and stitch up that lac with 6lb test .

You use lures instead of staples to close wounds .

You irrigate with Budwieser .

Your pt. and partner deeply regret those 6 burritos you had a couple hours ago .

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
If you spend more time watching TV at the fire department than you do at your own house.

NJN

The Young One
If you spend more time watching TV at the fire department than you do at your own house.
Hey, theres nothing wrong with that. Especially if you don't have cable or sat. hookup at your house and the station has premium cable with the allowance of a few on demand movies a shift. And if the sofa in front of the TV at the station is more comfortable than your own bed.

Also about the tackle box comment. I was in our O2 room and i saw what we used to use for carrying the portables and jump kit. It was this big orange box that looked like it came out of the bait shop next town over.

certguy

Forum Captain
Almost all the squads around here use tackle boxes for the drug box.

WITH FISHIN' TACKLE STILL IN IT ???????

Here's some more ;

Your stringer doubles as an IV holder .

Your idea of online cotrol is catchin' a big one .

Your blue light came from K - Mart .

certguy

Forum Captain
I remember those old 747 trauma boxes . Before our FD got thier over the side pack on my first over the side I had to take that thing down with me . I had it perched on a rock , just after I got some supplies out , I heard a noise and looked back just in time to see my box go bye - bye down the canyon , showering supplies as it went . It was night time and I seem to remember inventing some never before heard cuss words . OOPS !

Yes , we also used them on our CCT rigs , minus the fishin' tackle .

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I can still vividly recall the pain of those big plastic boxes slamming into the side of my knee while walking up to or back from the pt's house. Damn they were heavy!

We use soft sided kits now for everything.

certguy

Forum Captain
Been there , done that too Bossy Cow . Got a big old bruise from the box catching the steps while I was hustling into a house on a not breathing call .

There must not be any Jeff Foxworthy fans out there . I guess the redneck vollie jokes didn't go over well . SORRY .