You just might be a volly EMT if...

NJEMT1

Forum Probie
....you have more lights in your car (or in my case truck) than are on some ambulances...

Lets hear some more....:)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
You can tell what squad is being dispatched by the pager tones before the dispatch (+1 if it is for a company other than your own).

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
You prefer to respond in your personal rig because it is better equipped than the department's vehicles.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
you respond to calls in jeans and a t-shirt from an EMS picnick.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
You think an old fire hydrant is a "pretty" lawn ornament.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
You can tell what squad is being dispatched by the pager tones before the dispatch (+1 if it is for a company other than your own).
Okay, is this true for anyone? Because that's just damn impressive.

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant

Definitely True. Our tones are easy, and most of the others close by in our mutual aid group are easily recognizable. Its sad...I know.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
its true but not impressive. everyone here can do it with some accuracy.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I thought the whole idea of tones was so that you'd only hear your own tones. Is there a way to listen to other tones?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I thought the whole idea of tones was so that you'd only hear your own tones. Is there a way to listen to other tones?

here there is. everyone's tones are played on live radio. It only alerts you because your pager or radio will beep on your designated tones. This way when you put your radio/pager on "closed" than you can only hear when you get toned out. Oh well. Didn't mean to divert this thread.

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant
Definitely not impressive, by any means. Sad really, that valuable gray matter is being occupied by such useless information. Its worse than being able to answer potpourri for 2000 on jeopardy. firecoins is right, most of us here know many of them to some degree, FD too.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
you must be a vollie EMT

- if your whole wardrobe consists of ems t-shirts and EMT pants with OSHA approved boots.

- if everytime you hear a siren you drop what your doing to find out whats up.

- if you plan your vacation on an EMS expo

- if you spend more time at your station house than home and work combined.

- if you always have a pair of latex gloves in your pocket

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Nope.. nitrile!

If your worried about a latex allergy, you might be a vollie EMT.

If you have a corporate account with GALLS instead of a personal account, you might be a vollie EMT.

If you would rather work 60 hours a week for free instead of $10/hr for a transport service, you might be a vollie EMT.

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant

When your 3 year old starts putting her coat on for the trip to the neighbors before the tone finishes... you just might be a vollie...

(She's 18 now and goes out to scrap the ice off the windshield instead.)

MedikErik

Forum Crew Member
When on the phone you tell your friends you're "en-route", if you have call waiting and you get a beep you tell the person you're currently talking to to "stand by", if you change your mind on something you tell them to "disregard", when you call your friend to tell her you're outside her house you text them "on scene". "yes" and "no" dont exist; it's either "affirmative" or "negative".

Yes, that's how I talk now... and yes I get made fun of (and they wonder why I only like hanging out with public safety). I once got through half a conversation with 10 codes and me and one other person were the only ppl who had any idea what was going on lol.

emt9577

Forum Probie
Im had. Ive got the more lights in the vehicle, and can tell most of the pager tones. I work in just a company t-shirt most of the time, and am willing to work 60 or more hours a week at a 50 hour salary. But then again, I work as a paid EMT, Volly EMT/FF, and set-up radio systems for our company.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
More ways to tell if you are a vollie EMT:

-Using 10-codes in regular face-to-face conversation.

-Getting a remote car starter so you car gets 60 seconds to warm up before you slam it into gear and drive like a bat out of h*ll to get to the squad

-You look at your wardrobe and reaize that most of your pants are blue uniform trousers

-You have to make an effort to find non-squad casual wear when you are going for a "night on the town" with your family.

-You think a "night on the town" consists of you and your partner driving through the central buisness district all night, Trolling for Trauma.