WWYD: Butane inhalation & ignition

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Question;

I understand the mechanics of the possibility of upper//lower airway burn and compromise;

If a BLS Crew, was on first scene, (and ALS was extended ETA), would an IGEL (for an unconscious Pt) be an interim Vent option, until ALS or ER can tube em? (Note: I-Gels are in the Scope of Practice for EMT-B here in AZ).

I've read that a large bore I-gel can be used as a conduit for later intubation, in some circumstances.

Btw, what was the Kids Tidal Volume and 02 Sat?
If anyone meets criteria for a supraglottic airway, put it in.

HardKnocks

Forum Lieutenant
Agreed,

As a BLS Crew I'd use the I-Gel then, I'd bag em, (with the distressed RR of >28).

I was just trying to stir more conversation on Tubing the Pt in conjunction with an I-Gel.

The hurdle I have is that no paralytics can be used. ;(

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Agreed,

As a BLS Crew I'd use the I-Gel then, I'd bag em, (with the distressed RR of >28).

I was just trying to stir more conversation on Tubing the Pt in conjunction with an I-Gel.

The hurdle I have is that no paralytics can be used. ;(
In a situation where an ALS person showed up with a more or less functioning SGA, leaving it where it is would be the wisest course as opposed to attempting a definitive airway with an ETT. This is especially true in this scenario. Adding mucosal tissue trauma to a fried airway by blindly shoving a tube through a working igel is asking for trouble. Trying with a non working SGA would be criminal. That said, once in the hospital where reliable surgical airway access is more of a possibility, different story. Looking down the SGA with a flexible bronchoscope to see what's what and then passing a tube over the scope is good in a pinch.