Working in Qatar

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I still have friends there. No one has it in their contract at the field medic level. You can bring your family, but it's all on you. I know a few met foreign women who became their wives there, but "technically" speaking they aren't allowed to live in the contracted accommodations. I'm also not sure how that would affect your DoD clearance. Bringing family from the US is not something I saw or was offered, nor did anyone plan on it.

While you could bear the expenses and burdens with the Kuwaiti government yourself, it was not recommended.

Tough situation if your contract ends unexpectedly; more complex than just getting on a plane and going home.

Too each their own I suppose.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Exactly, they told me I would have to handle it myself. Spouse visa and accommodation that is. I know people on single contracts who have sponsored their family and sought their accommodation in UAE and Saudi, I would imagine it's similar in Kuwait, but I have no idea. Secret clearance is no longer required for the contract; I believe it's now just a NACI check. So while it needs some extra work as I stated, it's certainly a possibility until proven otherwise.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmmmm...might want to hold off on any Qatar plans for a bit....wonder what those in there are doing at the moment....

Leaving....on a fast jet plane.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Hmmmm...might want to hold off on any Qatar plans for a bit....wonder what those in there are doing at the moment....

Leaving....on a fast jet plane.
What's the news?
Haven't heard anything other than some "hacking" thing.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Where are the boys?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Yeah but any contractor I know worth his salt has a good VPN.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
The VPN is great for some very necessary things.....but in light of all that is going on, unsure I would be using it for any reason right now.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Eh. That's a good point too.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Hopefully they are alright.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Everyone in the middle east, with the possible exception of the Kuwaitis, supports terrorism in some extent. This kerfluffle with Saudi and the rest of the Gulf vs Quatar is just that- a family squabble with people trying to make hay.

linda simeone

Forum Ride Along
Anyone have any working knowledge of Qatar? And more importantly on IHR Canada?

Saw a job Posting for a Paramedic position and was curious.
KIND of an AER country, nice airport, currently in the news, kind of a mini Dubai. flew Qatar airlines from Katmandu, Nepal, 15 hrs. Yikes, airline has good food, people in airport very friendly, told many of our U.S.troops are sent there from tour of duty in Afghanistan, etc, we also have an air base there, so it can't be all that bad.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Armor10 rarely logs on, life and all. I just got back from a honeymoon so...

Life's interesting. I'm thinking it's 90% political junk out of the one country in particular that likes conservative, control, and is a bit worse off financially. But hey, I digress. Absolutely nothing would be permitted to remotely risk the operations at Al Udeid seeing as it controls theater flight ops (including Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan,...). Turkey flew in a hundred plane loads of supplies and now has ships enroute. Iran shipping across the Gulf. The port has stepped up and sped up tremendously on imports and contracts from other regions. Amusingly, the blockading countries are losing out financially far more and I doubt most companies will return to their products afterwards except for a few... they were higher cost and lesser quality in general. Likewise, the previous shipping to a foreign port and trucked into the country will likely not return... so loss of income there for them.

So, hey, whassup?

On a side note, they're planning on 20-30 CCPs next year but were 95% advertising just to South Africans. We did pick up a Canadian tho.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
The South Africans seem to be a hot commodity. For reasons aforementioned in other similar discussions.

Glad to hear you are alive and well.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Life goes on. All is well. Far more multinational imports with shipping direct into Qatar, a new rail line from Turkey to Iran and ship to Qatar, and a new port shuffle with Oman. No lack of goods, overall better quality and prices are the same.

For the South Africans, they got rocked by a tax change at home. They will in a year or so have to remit 45% of all income back home...

WailingBanshees

Forum Probie
Hey guys, I got an email lately asking for my CV and details, it was from hamad's HR dep, asking for a EMD (dispatcher) role, any idea how's that like?

I was working 4 years in that in National Ambulance UAE, so unsure how it's like in qatar.

I was told it's gonna take a while before anything happens, slow processes and all.

ambulance

Forum Probie
Hey guys, I got an email lately asking for my CV and details, it was from hamad's HR dep, asking for a EMD (dispatcher) role, any idea how's that like?

I was working 4 years in that in National Ambulance UAE, so unsure how it's like in qatar.

I was told it's gonna take a while before anything happens, slow processes and all.