Working at McCormick/Banking overtime

Virgil

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys, it's been a while. I've finally gotten my State cert all done, and am cleared to work. So I'm primarily looking at McCormick, since I did my ride along there and loved it. It's pretty hectic, using a Thomas guide is gonna be fun. But I think jumping straight into 911 is the best possible experience I can get.

Now the only thing I'm curious about is overtime, I'm trying to save as much money as possible. At some point I'll get on 24hr's, and I've heard overtime is abundant, but can I work 3 24's a week?

This is both a pragmatic and HR-type question, it's much easier to consider doing it then actually doing it.

Pay isn't necessarily an issue if I'm able to bank 32 hours of overtime a week. And this all may sound very naive, so please bear with me.

If anyone can shed some better light on this, I'd appreciate it.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
1) overtime is abundant, until it's not.
1a) there is no employer mandate to provide an employee with overtime, unless it's written into a union contract.
I've heard overtime is abundant, but can I work 3 24's a week?
2) sounds like an HR question... best to direct this question to the company's HR department.
Pay isn't necessarily an issue if I'm able to bank 32 hours of overtime a week.
3) when the overtime dries up, what will you do? see point #1

4) do you have the job yet? sound like your still looking for your first EMS job. so all of your worries might be moot if you don't get the job offer. why would you put all your eggs in one basket? What if they don't offer you the job, then what are you going to do?

5) 3 24s a week, every week, will get old pretty quickly, especially if you are busy during those 24s. Standup 24s are dangerous, and sleeping in a truck during your downtime while posted in a parking lot or street corner is hell on your body.

disclaimer: I know nothing about mccormick, my comment are about EMS in general.

OP
OP
Virgil

Virgil

Forum Crew Member
1) overtime is abundant, until it's not.
1a) there is no employer mandate to provide an employee with overtime, unless it's written into a union contract.
2) sounds like an HR question... best to direct this question to the company's HR department.
3) when the overtime dries up, what will you do? see point #1

4) do you have the job yet? sound like your still looking for your first EMS job. so all of your worries might be moot if you don't get the job offer. why would you put all your eggs in one basket? What if they don't offer you the job, then what are you going to do?

5) 3 24s a week, every week, will get old pretty quickly, especially if you are busy during those 24s. Standup 24s are dangerous, and sleeping in a truck during your downtime while posted in a parking lot or street corner is hell on your body.

disclaimer: I know nothing about mccormick, my comment are about EMS in general.

Completely fair, and exactly the kind of discussion I was looking for.

All good points, and I've taken the majority of them into account. I didn't want to get very far ahead of myself, but I've always been one to try and cover all my bases.

1/1a/2/3) I work a second job right now, as a public safety officer, which fields me extra money, in the event of a no-overtime-available scenario. And it's not like I need the overtime to survive, it would moreso be for savings. So if it happens to dry up, it would be a non-issue.

4) I was also looking at AMR Riverside and Care, both of which I will also be applying to. But you're absolutely right. I shouldn't be worrying too much, especially on a job I haven't become invested in yet. More of a character flaw than anything, ha.

5) As much as I'd like to think my early 20's makes me invincible, I know it doesn't. I'm no stranger to sleeping on concrete or working so long I forget the drive home, right now I am just prioritizing my budget, and I'm seeing through the "Do what you gotta do" lens. Preemptive, and jumping the gun. Since I've never worked a 24, especially on an ambulance. I'll just have to wait and see how things go.

Thank you for your response though, helped me redirect my focus on some things.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Riverside all the way lol. Or Texas. My partners do cool things.

Heck, there are a LOT of places hiring now.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
It's been about 2 years since I left McCormick (geez, where on earth did the time go?) But I will say it's the only ambulance job I had where I keep in touch with my former coworkers...

While McCormick is one if the best LA private companies IMO.... it's still an LA private company...with plenty turnover. Overtime is abundant. I remember there were rules about how much you could work in a single stretch...but if you weren't picky about where you worked (and McCormick covers a huge area), you could bank a ton of OT when I was there
Until you finally need to sleep. Theres a couple stations where you can expect to sleep at night (namely Palos Verdes, Malibu, Agoura and Calabasas... and that's where the OT is NOT readily available). No you'll be working Lynwood, Willowbrook, Compton, Carson, Inglewood, Hawthorne, even Torrance you'll be up all night running calls, getting 4ish hours of sleep (if you're lucky that's a single block)...you wont be wanting to work 2x 12s and 3x 24s a week...especially when you realize that's all minimum wage...
That being said there are people that practically live at McCormick stations cuz they always pick up OT. Idk how they did it as I'd get off shift in Willowbtook, go home and basically end up sleeping all day lol (it happened more than once I'd clock out and rack out in the dorm at station for a few hours until I was human enough to drive home lol).

BUT for all that, there are indeed times OT just dries up. It'll be abundant, then it wont (heck, that just happened here).
As much as I liked McCormick, I'd probably rather have worked at AMR Riverside due to that way you're the transporting medic unit. Not being told what to do by non transporting fire who's scene control extends into your BLS transport from the call... (I'm glad I'm now in a system where Fire is first response only, and the ambulance has full medical scene control from the moment they arrive on scene, but I digress, youd have to be a fire medic working for an FD with it's own internal fire medic transports for that to happen in LA...)

As far as Care goes, I can't say anything bad about them, other than I couldn't wear their white shirts all day and have it clean at the end of a 12 or 24 lol! Both cover large areas, including areas known for "gnarly" calls and really nice upscale areas, both have power lift and power load gurneys, which is nice.

You'll probably rather keep working part time at that other public safety job than rely on OT at any ambulance company, so def keep that job if able, but both companies (McCormick and Care) will demand you be able to stick to their schedule, like I said I can't speak about Care since I never worked there, but short of Military Reserves/Natl Guard, McCormick really doesn't like it too much if you keep calling off, like you can get in trouble for calling off too much in to short amount of time, so dont rely on a second job with a set schedule you have to work around

OP
OP
Virgil

Virgil

Forum Crew Member
Great insight there Jim, I really appreciate it.

In all honesty, you're probably right concerning OT. I would keep that second job and most likely work around McCormick. A little easier since a lot of the guys work other jobs, and the scheduler is a part-time EMT as well, so he knows the situation. I did my ride along with 15's, and then my second with 2's, I loved both. I would honestly prefer to get into 15's.

Could you expand on AMR's protocol? Is it a Medic-EMT paired unit? I might just try and do a ride along or visit a station to get a better glimpse of their system.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Or you could just try Hall. Still more than likely better than both McCormick and AMR internally.

They also have their own in-house paramedic academy now as well.

45revolution

Forum Probie
“5) 3 24s a week, every week, will get old pretty quickly, especially if you are busy during those 24s. Standup 24s are dangerous, and sleeping in a truck during your downtime while posted in a parking lot or street corner is hell on your body.”

Mccormick in a nutshell

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
McCormick - mainly work skid rows, spend endless hours at various local resorts such as Centinela and St Francis.
CARE - more diverse since EOAs are bigger. A trade off between less stress with FD in LACo but horrendous wall times, and significantly more stress with FD in OC, with little to no wall times.

The common factor for both ? You might think it’s EMS, but it’s not. It is, in essence, a 3rd party taxi service with lights & sirens, and a couple of overworked, underpaid, and <mostly> disillusioned folks.

wtferick

Forum Captain
McCormick - mainly work skid rows, spend endless hours at various local resorts such as Centinela and St Francis.
CARE - more diverse since EOAs are bigger. A trade off between less stress with FD in LACo but horrendous wall times, and significantly more stress with FD in OC, with little to no wall times.

The common factor for both ? You might think it’s EMS, but it’s not. It is, in essence, a 3rd party taxi service with lights & sirens, and a couple of overworked, underpaid, and <mostly> disillusioned folks.
Well put! The land where medics ride with the "wrong" patient.

CbrMonster

Forum Lieutenant
i spent 7 years at care ambulance service 09-16.

currently they're a little over staffed according to one of the nurses still there. when i was there i consistantly could work 100hr work weeks/4 24's a week at stations of my liking very rarely would i work a super busy 24. they don't pay the highest i actually think they are the lowest paying hourly but i could easily make up for it by working lots of ot.

i enjoyed working in oc, you just sit there keep your mouth shut and do what your told until you are trusted by the medic. once that happens the world opens up and they'll let you go far outside your scope if your willing, let you go into their box, ect.

you can work a majority of laco with care as well but you're going to be posting in parking lots and getting ran on most shifts out there

Qulevrius

i enjoyed working in oc, you just sit there keep your mouth shut and do what your told until you are trusted by the medic. once that happens the world opens up and they'll let you go far outside your scope if your willing, let you go into their box, ect.

Let me rephrase that for you. Just sit there & watch a beefcake with exactly 1 year of post high school education do “medicine” to unsuspecting patients, but say nothing because he “doesn’t trust you”. And after a while, the “world opens up” because the Basic suddenly realizes that he can do slightly more than being just a U-Haul driver (the castrated OC protocols notwithstanding). And what is it exactly that they have in their box, 20 names plus saline bags and a glu-check ?

CbrMonster

Forum Lieutenant
Let me rephrase that for you. Just sit there & watch a beefcake with exactly 1 year of post high school education do “medicine” to unsuspecting patients, but say nothing because he “doesn’t trust you”. And after a while, the “world opens up” because the Basic suddenly realizes that he can do slightly more than being just a U-Haul driver (the castrated OC protocols notwithstanding). And what is it exactly that they have in their box, 20 names plus saline bags and a glu-check ?

no offense meant but you seem very bitter. i've dealt with jerk medics in laco and oc. i've worked in hospitals and watched mastered degree'd nurses do the dumbest thing imaginable like give a patient (stepped down from icu to a med surg floor dx of dka) orange juice to raise their blood pressure.you know instead of just giving them a 250 bolus of ns and see how that went. a degree doesn't mean everything.

Qulevrius

no offense meant but you seem very bitter. i've dealt with jerk medics in laco and oc. i've worked in hospitals and watched mastered degree'd nurses do the dumbest thing imaginable like give a patient (stepped down from icu to a med surg floor dx of dka) orange juice to raise their blood pressure.you know instead of just giving them a 250 bolus of ns and see how that went. a degree doesn't mean everything.

You know, as someone who worked in a hospital, you should know that giving a DKA pt a NS bolus is counter indicated, because it can drop their BGL too fast. There are dumb people everywhere, but EMS seems to attract them en masse. Not to mention the holier than thou attitudes and the completely uncalled for air of superiority.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
i enjoyed working in oc, you just sit there keep your mouth shut and do what your told until you are trusted by the medic.
He might be a bit burned on that particular system, but @Qulevrius is spot on. If you’re that kind of “team player” cool, then yes I agree that their world opens up to you. Their small, limited fire-based world.

I stand by my OP here re: Hall. These EMT’s up here are responding to a bulk amount of what were once “ALS” calls along with our BLS FD’s- as it frickin’ should be.

They’re learning the full fundamentals of prehospital care without so much ego. A 2-hour drive and that is a whole different world.

FWIW, CARE is pretty much old AMR LA and GG (OC) Ops. Nothing has changed since some of us—including myself—have left, and it’s been DECADES. I mean honestly? That’s just sad.

It’s still, well California, so you know?...Texas. There, happy, @RocketMedic?

CbrMonster

Forum Lieutenant
You know, as someone who worked in a hospital, you should know that giving a DKA pt a NS bolus is counter indicated, because it can drop their BGL too fast. There are dumb people everywhere, but EMS seems to attract them en masse. Not to mention the holier than thou attitudes and the completely uncalled for air of superiority.

Far above my pay grade but the patient was not in dka anymore. But was put back in to dka with the orange juice he drank. But I learn something new everyday. I assume fluids saline + d5 would be better.

I will agree that ems attracts a ton of stupid without doubt.

There def is a paragod complex in the air even with emt’s in 911 vs ift companies

Last edited:

CbrMonster

Forum Lieutenant
He might be a bit burned on that particular system, but @Qulevrius is spot on. If you’re that kind of “team player” cool, then yes I agree that their world opens up to you. Their small, limited fire-based world.

I stand by my OP here re: Hall. These EMT’s up here are responding to a bulk amount of what were once “ALS” calls along with our BLS FD’s- as it frickin’ should be.

They’re learning the full fundamentals of prehospital care without so much ego. A 2-hour drive and that is a whole different world.

FWIW, CARE is pretty much old AMR LA and GG (OC) Ops. Nothing has changed since some of us—including myself—have left, and it’s been DECADES. I mean honestly? That’s just sad.

It’s still, well California, so you know?...Texas. There, happy, @RocketMedic?

Can completely understand that. Hall is a company I would like to apply for once I have a p card. As far as cars being the old amr not too surprising to hear that considering how many amr employees where onboarded when Care took over their oc and la contracts

Qulevrius

Far above my pay grade but the patient was not in dka anymore. But was put back in to dka with the orange juice he drank. But I learn something new everyday. I assume fluids saline + d5 would be better.

I will agree that ems attracts a ton of stupid without doubt.

There def is a paragod complex in the air even with emt’s in 911 vs ift companies

For the risk of derailing this thread:

If the pt went back to DKA after a cup of orange juice, it means that the DKA wasn’t corrected to begin with. Orange juice is just a magic bullet with a very short lived effect, but if the pt is NOT euvolemic at step down, then he should remain in the ICU until his fluids balance is corrected. There’s significantly more to the treatment of diabetic emergencies than just giving dextrose or insulin.

CbrMonster

Forum Lieutenant
Sorry not sure how to private message on here: but just for my education sake and I like picking peoples brains for information and to self Improve.

The patient was in icu and in dka there it was resolved and brought to a medsurg/tele floor for continued care at a lower level. What happened was the nurse was a new grad msn. And have he patient multiple orange juices like 5-6 of them which sent him back into dka. And consequently back into the icu they went.

Out of curiousity are you a nurse or what experiences do you have. Not doubting your skills knowledge, just for the asking for the sake of knowing what I can and can’t ask.

Thanks in advance

Qulevrius

The patient was in icu and in dka there it was resolved and brought to a medsurg/tele floor for continued care at a lower level. What happened was the nurse was a new grad msn. And have he patient multiple orange juices like 5-6 of them which sent him back into dka. And consequently back into the icu they went.

Out of curiousity are you a nurse or what experiences do you have. Not doubting your skills knowledge, just for the asking for the sake of knowing what I can and can’t ask.

Thanks in advance

Presently, I’m a Basic with ~5 yrs of street & ED experience. Will have my BSN within ~2 yrs. I’m fortunate to work for a hospital that is small enough to keep everyone busy & have plenty of opportunities for hands-on experience. I also know the sh*t that I don’t know, and constantly ask questions (or read up on any interesting stuff I can find).

You can ask anything. I’m not promising to have an answer, but there are many very experienced folks here with various degrees who will most definitely help out.