Work reference and verication

patzyboi

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys, I work for a BLS company, and I'm applying for a different company. They want references, letters, hours from my current employer. My currently employer does not allow a conflict of interest, but is it safe to ask them for a reference and to type me a letter? Can they fire me for that?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If they view the other company as a conflict of interest then it's possible. They may not fire you but you may get placed on the managements **** list.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
If your current employer sees the other company as a conflict of interest, then they can proceed with whatever discipline they feel appropriate. They may do nothing except put you on the **** list, with all the **** that can (and usually does) entail.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
They have a no conflict clause and your asking for a reference. That's sounds like a conflict to me. Tread lightly.

OP
OP
P

patzyboi

Forum Lieutenant
Dang, I may be SOL. I'm not even going to try it. Anyone been like this? Or is there a loophole? Do I pretty much have to quit appropriately

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Tell the new job that they can call your current employer once you are in final consideration.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Yup. Explain the situation to your prospective new employer and see how they wish to proceed. If you don't get hired you won't have inadvertently burned any bridges.

Angel

Paramedic
usually itll ask somewhere if they can contact the current employer, and if the answer is no, state why. you can always ask the prospective employer to only contact your current one once an offer is made. ive had this situation before and just explained it and everything worked out.

good luck