Work 24, get paid for 16

18G

Paramedic
That is just wrong to expect someone to work 24hrs and not compensate them for all of their time. Regardless if you're on calls or sleeping shouldn't matter. Its the level of preparedness that should be compensated.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I can't have a beer at the station, therefore I will be paid.

Employee at the IFT company I was at made this argument a few weeks before he left for Acadian (along with 75% of the company staff). He was required to be "on call" whenever requested by management, and was not paid unless actually called, and could not be impaired during his on-call period. Supposedly it was part of his employment agreement. He argued that if he isn't allowed to drink, he better be getting paid.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
My AMR part time place has a similar requirement once a quarter. Just put me on the damn car if you're going to make it so I can't work anywhere else or go do what I want.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Kinda how our DRT/ERT is. You are on call for the whole month. You get a call and you have to be at the station with all your gear in 90 minutes. Can't really leave town. Can't drink. Have to have your 72 hour go bag all ready.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Kinda how our DRT/ERT is. You are on call for the whole month. You get a call and you have to be at the station with all your gear in 90 minutes. Can't really leave town. Can't drink. Have to have your 72 hour go bag all ready.

Ours is a little different since the team is made up of most if not all the Colorado operations as well as one in Wyoming. Our op is the coordinator and will request other divisions to try and get like 6-8 people at a time if I remember.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Ours is a little different since the team is made up of most if not all the Colorado operations as well as one in Wyoming. Our op is the coordinator and will request other divisions to try and get like 6-8 people at a time if I remember.
Yep. I remember having to make daily phone calls to Colorado NatCom to give them status updates.

BigBad

Forum Crew Member
I work 48/96 for a private ambulance service and we only get 16 hours a day and then sleep time with 3 hours=8. It sucks but we are well compensated do CCT transports all the time so were actually usually getting some sleep time and within reason you are allowed to milk it. If we were to change our pay system which is in the works we would all actually get a smaller hourly rate to compensate the budget with so much overtime so it would all even out in the end anyway. But then we have extra day cars and would have to keep those people at a higher rate. Ahhh politics.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I work 48/96 for a private ambulance service and we only get 16 hours a day and then sleep time with 3 hours=8. It sucks but we are well compensated do CCT transports all the time so were actually usually getting some sleep time and within reason you are allowed to milk it. If we were to change our pay system which is in the works we would all actually get a smaller hourly rate to compensate the budget with so much overtime so it would all even out in the end anyway. But then we have extra day cars and would have to keep those people at a higher rate. Ahhh politics.

SCREW that

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I can't have a beer at the station, therefore I will be paid.

My thoughts exactly.

I just got hired and the company does same thing...

I'm sorry but unless I was really in a bind for employment or was getting a solid hourly that made up for the difference I wouldn't be down at all.

Our TEMS and SAR Teams are on call for a week at a time, they're not paid to be on call and have to be available and able to respond quickly although I'm not sure of the exact time limits. Not ideal but being on one of the teams is looked at as being "elite" and once you get called you go on the clock so it isn't that bad of a deal. Especially since it's a "cool guy" job. That definitely makes up for it.

We can sign up to be on call when theres inclement weather coming. It's $3/hr on-call then OT rates if you get called once you get to the garage so it's not a bad deal if you don't have anything better to be doing, especially if you're on call at night since you can sleep as long as you can be at the garage within 30 minutes.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
And you could be earning more if your company paid you for your required time away from home...

usmarine

Forum Ride Along
Yea, I interviewed with a place that does this. Needless to say I went with a better place.

BigBad

Forum Crew Member
Again it's all relative. A place that pays you 24 hours straight, will just adjust their hourly rate 30% lower to offset the extra forced overtime they will always pay out. A place that doesn't pays a much higher hourly rate to keep employees. Now, when you factor in overtime rates on a higher hourly rate, I make PA money.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
Again it's all relative. A place that pays you 24 hours straight, will just adjust their hourly rate 30% lower to offset the extra forced overtime they will always pay out. A place that doesn't pays a much higher hourly rate to keep employees. Now, when you factor in overtime rates on a higher hourly rate, I make PA money.

If you're in a unique position to not have a social or family life then it's all good, but working being away from home and working 80 hours a week on $1 or $1000000000 is still working 80 hours a week.

I have some friends who have done protection for CEOs of some major banks- these guys make serious money, however they only do the job for a few years because they burn out. Overworking in EMS and having to drive let alone perform treatment is dangerous I think.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief

Lol feel free to PM me your company name and location so I can look into it. Ill see if your "PA" money is worth it.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
One place I've looked at does shift pay instead of hourly... granted at almodt 500/24hr shift, it seems likr a decent deal. Much better than my 250/24hr period

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
That's actually not a bad deal if you work 2 shifts a week.