Woman kills 3 week old baby, eats it

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
What I think some anti-capital punishment people are missing is you aren't punishing them for being mentally ill, retarded, or themselves. You're punishing them for doing a crime, whether they had a choice or not.

If they didn't have a choice, then obviously they are a much bigger threat.

Sasha

Forum Chief
What I think some anti-capital punishment people are missing is you aren't punishing them for being mentally ill, retarded, or themselves. You're punishing them for doing a crime, whether they had a choice or not.

If they didn't have a choice, then obviously they are a much bigger threat.

So say someone held a gun to your head and told you if you didn't shoot someone that they would shoot you, and you shot the person, that you should go to jail for it? After all, you had no choice.

Are we going to make this a productive thread or not?

and I am not anti capital punishment. But I don't think people who are mentally incompentent should be killed.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
What you are missing is the fact that if her problem is fixed, she may be able to be just as productive as any of us.

Pre-hospitally I'm not aware of any programs in my area. If we suspect someone is suffering from PPD we notify the MD at the hospital.

Last edited by a moderator:

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Yes, but again my point I raise, what good is going to do keeping her alive? She took a human beings life. Adolf Hitler was mentally ill. Does that mean if we captured him, we should have locked him up? Same thing with Hussein, Osama, Obama etc etc

oops :)

I hope you didn't just compare the president of the United States to Adolf Hitler and Osama bin Laden.

I don't know what good it will do to keep her alive. Probably none. But it is just a bad situation.

We have to remember, even though what she did is unforgivable, she is not an animal to be destroyed because it is difficult to keep her around. I wish I could just say "she took a life, take her's." But in good conscience, I can't. I know earlier in the thread, I was saying "kill her." I was just angry. Now, I don't know.

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
As medical professionals we are not supposed to judge our patients or treat them any differently based on their situation. You are crying for this woman's blood, how could you treat her, or someone like her without letting your judgment show? Would you really honestly be able to take care of this woman just like anyone else (remember, she did have injures)?
I wouldn't have to worry about that around here. You do that around here you don't make it to jail

Historical comparisons are moot. You can't judge Hitler by today's standards. Hitler was a product of his time and the environment of those decades. Before you attack him, you may want to look into the history of eugenics in the US around the late 1800's to the 1930's and 40's. We were just as bad as Hitler was, just not on the same scale.

Sorry I will attack him. I don't support a mass murderer

So becuase you think her life is worthless she should be killed? I would think her family would disagree.

/snip

Her husband is surely disagreeing with your statement it sounds like

Sasha

Forum Chief
I don't know what good it will do to keep her alive. Probably none. But it is just a bad situation.

Since when do we keep people alive based on their ussefulness? We don't euthanize vegetables, do we? So why is productivity an issue?

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
What you are missing is the fact that if her problem is fixed, she may be able to be just as productive as any of us.

So some "doctor" will say that they think (since it will be impossible to produce anything empirical) that the woman is ready to go on with her life, refer her to a shrink (who she probably won't bother to see) and a few prescriptions (which she may be compliant with for a few weeks before not bothering to fill her perscriptions), she'll disappear for a while, only to be found a few months later using her mother's body as a teddy bear.

I don't care if she's "sick". She murdered an innocent child. If I have cancer, does that give me carte blanche?

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I wouldn't have to worry about that around here. You do that around here you don't make it to jail

That is kind of a scary statement to make. Everybody deserves the right to a trial.

Sasha

Forum Chief
So some "doctor" will say that they think (since it will be impossible to produce anything empirical) that the woman is ready to go on with her life, refer her to a shrink (who she probably won't bother to see) and a few prescriptions (which she may be compliant with for a few weeks before not bothering to fill her perscriptions), she'll disappear for a while, only to be found a few months later using her mother's body as a teddy bear.

I don't care if she's "sick". She murdered an innocent child. If I have cancer, does that give me carte blanche?

Cancer is not a mental illness. Schizophrenia and PPD is.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Since when do we keep people alive based on their ussefulness? We don't euthanize vegetables, do we? So why is productivity an issue?

Actually, we do, in a way, euthanize vegetables. Isn't pulling somebody off life support "euthanizing"?

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
If she is found to be competent, I say execute her. If not, I say life without the possibly of parole.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Actually, we do, in a way, euthanize vegetables. Isn't pulling somebody off life support "euthanizing"?

No. They are not given a nice pretty death, and they can be kept alive despite the fact they have zero quality of life.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Cancer is not a mental illness. Schizophrenia and PPD is.

What if I have a brain tumor?

And way to miss the point. A murderer is a murderer, regardless of their motives. If we excuse everybody with a mental illness from the death penalty, you'll see a significant increase in the number of defendants pleading insanity.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
If we excuse everybody with a mental illness from the death penalty, you'll see a significant increase in the number of defendants pleading insanity.

Very, VERY good point. That is something I will have to take into consideration.

Sasha

Forum Chief

And way to miss the point. A murderer is a murderer, regardless of their motives. If we excuse everybody with a mental illness from the death penalty, you'll see a significant increase in the number of defendants pleading insanity.

A brain tumor, again, is not a mental illness.

You are missing the point. This isn't your run of the mill crazy. This woman probably doesn't function inside our reality. She is a schizo. She can't be held accountable because she isn't competent. She is mentally ill.

I don't think she should be allowed freedom again, but I don't think she should be executed, either. I think she should spend her life in prison.

And people already cop the mental illness plea left and right.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
If she is found to be competent, I say execute her. If not, I say life without the possibly of parole.

Why? What purpose will keeping them alive possibly serve? All they'll do is take up a cell, spend my tax dollars, futily attempt "rehab" (which will be pointless since they will never be back in society again to function normally), and keep living with the possibility of one day escaping and killing again.

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers

There already has been. Sad

Almost every murder case that has the potential of capital punishment, they are reviewed because they are going to push for the insanity defense

Sasha

Forum Chief
Why? What purpose will keeping them alive possibly serve? All they'll do is take up a cell, spend my tax dollars, futily attempt "rehab" (which will be pointless since they will never be back in society again to function normally), and keep living with the possibility of one day escaping and killing again.

Because they are human.

Same argument can be applied to medicare and medicaid vegetables. Why? Why all the money spent keeping them alive??

Because they are HUMAN and because it is not your decision to make. Thankfully many understand that mental illness is not the fault of the sufferer and they should not be held responsible for it.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
A brain tumor, again, is not a mental illness.

You are missing the point. This isn't your run of the mill crazy. This woman probably doesn't function inside our reality. She is a schizo. She can't be held accountable because she isn't competent. She is mentally ill.

I don't think she should be allowed freedom again, but I don't think she should be executed, either. I think she should spend her life in prison.

And people already cop the mental illness plea left and right.

So cancer in my brain couldn't potentially affect my behavior?

And I'm still waiting to hear what the benefit of life imprisonment is when compared to execution.