Woman kills 3 week old baby, eats it

Sasha

Forum Chief
ALL violent criminals are mentally ill in some respect. You obviously aren't right in the head to do a violent crime.

I disagree.

This woman was schizophrenic with post partum depression lumped on top of that. That is beyond your normal run of the mill crazy.

I don't hope for her to be executed. I hope for her to be in jail for the rest of her life where she can recieve the help she needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
There is a difference between "Die you jerk, you cheated on me and now i want your life insurance money" and "The devil is talking to me through the radio and telling me the only way to save my baby is to do xyz". Sure, it's murder in both cases, but in the second case can you really expect the person to be able to rationalize?

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Right, especially when it's obviously untreatable. It's a shame she didn't pull a weapon on cops and save us the cost of a trial and imprisonment.

I see where you are coming from, but I wouldn't want the cops to have to live with the fact they killed somebody. Especially after all they already saw at the scene.

Sasha

Forum Chief
There is a difference between "Die you jerk, you cheated on me and now i want your life insurance money" and "The devil is talking to me through the radio and telling me the only way to save my baby is to do xyz". Sure, it's murder in both cases, but in the second case can you really expect the person to be able to rationalize?

Exactly! Thank you, plus one!

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I don't hope for her to be executed. I hope for her to be in jail for the rest of her life where she can recieve the help she needs.

But why does she deserve to live?

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Because she's mentally ill, perhaps?

It's tough for me to say that after her crime, she shouldn't be put to death. Even with her mental illness.

But it is a tough call.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
But why does she deserve to live?
Exactly. I think once you've eaten a baby, you pretty much have to prove why you deserve to continue breathing not have the prosecutors argue why you deserve to die which is about as ridiculously self-evident as it gets for two reasons: she ATE a baby and she committed an offense above the level of jaywalking in Texas. I think both of those show that she was definitely crazy.

Aidey

Oooo, I got Sahsa points!

Not everyone lives in the same reality that we do. When someone is incapable to living in our reality, we should not put them to death for failing to be able to use our logic and rationale.

And exactaly, she ate a baby, there is no logic, rationale, or "sane" explanation for that. The nature of her crime pretty much proves just how mentally ill she is.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

Who said it was the same?

Fact is, they are all screwed up in the head, and as such you should punish for the crime, not the mental capacity.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Oooo, I got Sahsa points!

Not everyone lives in the same reality that we do. When someone is incapable to living in our reality, we should not put them to death for failing to be able to use our logic and rationale.

And exactaly, she ate a baby, there is no logic, rationale, or "sane" explanation for that. The nature of her crime pretty much proves just how mentally ill she is.
I don't care what logic or reality you belong to, there are just some things that David Berkowitz (the Son of Sam, the guy whose neighbor's dog told him to kill) would look at and go "No, that's just not right." If she obviously can't be helped, then why should we let her live if she's that much of a threat to someone so innocent? I agree only to life imprisonment being a justifiable punishment only if she is not given protective custody and all the other inmates are told exactly what she did.

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
She is mentally ill. She shouldn't be executed for it. I am not absolving her of any crime, and it is a terrible crime, but I don't believe mentally ill should be executed for being mentally ill.

She should be executed. What is life in prison going to accomplish? Waste taxpayers money? There is no hope for someone like her

Never did I say she doesn't deserve punishment. Death penalty? No. Life imprisonment? Yes.

Life wasting taxpayers money

The crime would not have been commited had she not been mentally ill, so you WOULD be killing her for being mentally ill. PPD is a terrible thing!

Yep. It'd be good if they did

I disagree.

This woman was schizophrenic with post partum depression lumped on top of that. That is beyond your normal run of the mill crazy.

And again, from the pockets of people like you and me

Shes a waste of oxygen. She will provide no good on this planet. If they do give her life, hopefully she'll find a sheet and do whats best

Remember, that baby doesn't have a chance to grow up and be like any of us now.

Because she's mentally ill, perhaps?

And what is she going to do while living? Play courtyard basketball?

Who said it was the same?

Fact is, they are all screwed up in the head, and as such you should punish for the crime, not the mental capacity.

Exactly

Aidey

How do you know she can't be helped? How do you know what the nature of her illness is? Or what medications she has been on or not been on?

There is also something called "post-partum psychosis", it occurs in something like 1 in 1000 women after they give birth, and basically their hormones go so out of whack they develop psychosis. It's possible that this is what happened in this case.

Could you guys possibly be any more judgmental? I would hate to be a mentally ill patient in your ambulance.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
How do you know she can't be helped? How do you know what the nature of her illness is? Or what medications she has been on or not been on?

There is also something called "post-partum psychosis", it occurs in something like 1 in 1000 women after they give birth, and basically their hormones go so out of whack they develop psychosis. It's possible that this is what happened in this case.
*Cough* Andrea Yates *cough*

Should have been killed too.

PS-- What's with Texas and these women? Jeez.

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers

Could you guys possibly be any more judgmental? I would hate to be a mentally ill patient in your ambulance.

Too bad too sad. What do you want for them to do? Lock her in a 10X10 cell for the rest of her life? Whats that going to solve?

You would hate to be a patient of mine? Well, you are comparing someone who has a mental issue to a cold blooded murderer.

I don't need to know what meds she was on or anything like that. She committed the crime. Time for punishment. Next...

Should have been killed too.

PS-- What's with Texas and these women? Jeez.

Yep

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
It's tough for me to say what my stance is on cases like this. Do I want her to be executed? Yes. But I also realize that she may not have been able to help herself. I am NOT saying her actions were right. It's just a bad situation.

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
It's tough for me to say what my stance is on cases like this. Do I want her to be executed? Yes. But I also realize that she may not have been able to help herself. I am NOT saying her actions were right. It's just a bad situation.

Yes, but again my point I raise, what good is going to do keeping her alive? She took a human beings life. Adolf Hitler was mentally ill. Does that mean if we captured him, we should have locked him up? Same thing with Hussein, Osama, Obama etc etc

oops :)

Aidey

As medical professionals we are not supposed to judge our patients or treat them any differently based on their situation. You are crying for this woman's blood, how could you treat her, or someone like her without letting your judgment show? Would you really honestly be able to take care of this woman just like anyone else (remember, she did have injures)?

Historical comparisons are moot. You can't judge Hitler by today's standards. Hitler was a product of his time and the environment of those decades. Before you attack him, you may want to look into the history of eugenics in the US around the late 1800's to the 1930's and 40's. We were just as bad as Hitler was, just not on the same scale.

Sasha

Forum Chief
She should be executed. What is life in prison going to accomplish? Waste taxpayers money? There is no hope for someone like her

Life wasting taxpayers money

Yep. It'd be good if they did

And again, from the pockets of people like you and me

Shes a waste of oxygen. She will provide no good on this planet. If they do give her life, hopefully she'll find a sheet and do whats best

Remember, that baby doesn't have a chance to grow up and be like any of us now.

And what is she going to do while living? Play courtyard basketball?

Exactly

So becuase you think her life is worthless she should be killed? I would think her family would disagree.

Was also suffering post partum depression.

Can we take this thread in a productive direction? What programs are available in your area for people suffering PPD? Is there help? Do you think babies should be able to go home with or remain with women with PPD before they seek treatment for it?

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
She killed an innocent child. Because of her insanity and cruelty, that child will never get to grow up, fall in love, go to school, start a family, or any of the things that we look forward to in life. I don't care how "mentally ill" she is. Life is life, and if you take defenseless life and blame an imaginary being from mythology for it, you don't deserve life.