Williamson County EMS is Hiring

OP
OP
aquabear

aquabear

World's Okayest Paramedic
Howdy!

Do you know when the next application process for Wilco is? Thank you in advance!
We had an idea about when we would have our next hiring process and academy, but COVID jacked up all of our plans. Currently all CE classes, mandatory trainings and even out annual SOC updates/testing have all been indefinitely postponed due to social distancing policies in an effort to keep staff safe.

We should hire again this year, but honesty I don’t know when it will happen.

Sorry I can’t give a better answer right now, but as soon as I hear something, I’ll be sure to share it.

In the mean time, stay safe, be healthy, and study AMLS and 12 leads.

Tsubasa

Forum Ride Along
Thanks! I was wondering because the Williamson County EMS Facebook page made a comment that they are currently accepting applications, but I did not see it listed anywhere on their website.

I definitely have a lot of studying ahead of me!

OP
OP
aquabear

aquabear

Bumping this thread since we are hiring again! Application closes on January 15th at 12PM CST.

Dual Paramedics on Every Medic Unit
Evidence Based Protocols
Up to date equipment: Stryker PowerPRO + Power-LOADs, LP15s with Technimounts, Ventilators on Every Truck
Competitive Pay
TCDRS retirement with 250% match (Wilco is 1 of 9 organizations that match at that rate)

I'll be happy to answer any questions via PM or you can check out the recruitment page -> Wilco EMS Recruitment

wilco winter hiring.jpg

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Bumping this thread since we are hiring again! Application closes on January 15th at 12PM CST.

Evidence Based Protocols
Up to date equipment: Stryker PowerPRO + Power-LOADs, LP15s with Technimounts, Ventilators on Every Truck
Competitive Pay
TCDRS retirement with 250% match (Wilco is 1 of 9 organizations that match at that rate)

I'll be happy to answer any questions via PM or you can check out the recruitment page -> Wilco EMS Recruitment

View attachment 5171
My wife says we can't move. Wonder if I could commute...🤔

OP
OP
aquabear

aquabear

The HR folks or whomever made this add should be commended for putting the pay on the flyer!
We're pretty open about it. Your checks are lower during the academy because you don't average 56 hrs/week like when you are on the truck, which does suck. However, that figure doesn't include mandatory CE, paid card class hours and built in over time completing shift change, so that number gets closer to $60k. While you can't work OT during the new hire process, it's abundant when you clear with existing vacancies and planned growth over the next fiscal year.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Question about your system and call volumes: how many of your patient's meet the CMS standard of being an ALS1 or ALS2 patient? Most systems I am familiar with are around 20-40% (using the definition of "Advanced life support, level 1 (ALS1) is the transportation by ground ambulance vehicle and the provision of medically necessary supplies and services including the provision of an ALS assessment or at least one ALS intervention"), with the rest being BLS.

Since you are a dual medic system, and making the assumption that you are similar to other EMS systems with a 60%+ BLS patient rate, how do you maintain skill competency on rarely used skills (ET tubes, chest decompression, surgical airways, to name a few), and spend more than half your time dealing with not-sick patients who do not require ALS interventions?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Wilco has one of the most involved medical directors in the country and a great clinical education department. They open source lots of their materials for others to make use of. I won’t speak to their specific processes but if there was ever a department’s internal training program to model off I think would choose them.

Also this idea that when paramedics also see non-sick patients makes them somehow less effective is a false paradigm. Other places have figured how to provide effective ALS besides just Delaware and New Jersey. It isn’t just volume that makes one a strong paramedic, nor is it arbitrary dispatch determinants.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Jeff Jarvis defines, and is the epitome of an EMS medical director all others should model themselves after. Hands down.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Other places have figured how to provide effective ALS besides just Delaware and New Jersey.
yes, but most places do it by pairing an EMT with a paramedic. if it's a BLS patient, the EMT treats, if it's an ALS patient, the paramedic treats. with a dual medic system, you have a paramedic treating BLS patients.

And my question has nothing to do with dispatch criteria, but rather CMS criteria.

your unwarranted hostility towards the NJ and DE ALS systems is unwarranted and irrelevant to my question.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
So I just made it through the skills test and have my interview next week. I'm curious from a field medic perspective, how is the working environment? Station life, etc, also, best places to show my wife we might be able to afford with 4 kids?

brandonb02

Forum Ride Along
Do you guys run IFT transfers too or strictly 911? And is it still 24 hour shifts? I personally hate working anything shorter than 24. 48/96 is my favorite schedule but 24/48 is certainly an improvement from 12s.