RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I think it's like $52k ish pretax.

OP
OP
aquabear

aquabear

World's Okayest Paramedic
How many days a week are these peak trucks, and do they get fought over?
The schedule is a little confusing because of when our pay week starts, but the cliff notes version is you get a 3 day weekend every other weekend. So for our two week pay period starting on a Friday it’s 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off, 2 on, 2 off.

Vacancies are hit and miss, for the first 2 years there was no movement, and in our most recent staffing there were 3 shifts open.

OP
OP
aquabear

aquabear

So whats a street medic making in Wilco
Starting pay is $56k with zero overtime shifts. When you include mandatory CEs and early and late punches for crew change, it’s gets closer to $60k.

Last edited:

RocketMedic

Pretty much exactly what I'm at here. In just too lazy to go through yet another onboarding and NEOP/credentialing process for more of the same lol. Plus school and write-my-own schedule...

OP
OP
aquabear

aquabear

Pretty much exactly what I'm at here. In just too lazy to go through yet another onboarding and NEOP/credentialing process for more of the same lol. Plus school and write-my-own schedule...
I totally get that. I wouldn’t leave here unless you offered me a whole lot more cash with the same medical director and scope of care.

But we do get 250% matching on out TCDRS retirement plan...

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Their website says they serve 500,000 people and run 30,000 calls per year.

Coming from a system with 800,000 people and 110,000 annual calls, this sounds like a vacation!

Yes. That's one call for every 8 people.
*sigh*

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Starting pay is $56k with zero overtime shifts. When you include mandatory CEs and early and late punches for crew change, it’s gets closer to $60k.
As of now that's about where our in charges stand down here too. I'm in the same boat at @RocketMedic except i actually have tcdrs lol

RocketMedic

If it wasn't for the 24/48....I really like that area of Texas. Spent the afternoon and evening in Gruene/New Braunfels and I miss the nice part of Texas. Driving back to Houston was like going to Louisiana for no good reason.

I'm not about that 24/48 though. Ain't about that life. Not my favorite.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
If it wasn't for the 24/48....I really like that area of Texas. Spent the afternoon and evening in Gruene/New Braunfels and I miss the nice part of Texas. Driving back to Houston was like going to Louisiana for no good reason.

I'm not about that 24/48 though. Ain't about that life. Not my favorite.

I’m on m-f now and I miss 24/48 and the free time that comes with it..

Reactions: NPO

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I’m on m-f now and I miss 24/48 and the free time that comes with it..
Any schedule without a four day break is meh. We're on modified kelly (OXOXOXXXX) which is I think ok for 24s. I bet I could live with the 24/48 to work for such a great place though.

FNGperpetual

Forum Crew Member
How do ya'll feel about hiring new paramedics?
( with basic or intermediate experience)

How often do yall look for new workers?

Last edited:
OP
OP
aquabear

aquabear

How do ya'll feel about hiring new paramedics?
( with basic or intermediate experience)

How often do yall look for new workers?
We are currently taking applications until January 4th at 1700hrs central time for a hiring process in mid January.

We do hire medics straight out of paramedic school (we only require you have your state license by the end of the academy), so lack of experience as a paramedic isn’t a disqualification.

OP
OP
aquabear

aquabear

Bumping this. Wilco EMS is hiring! Applications close at 1700 central time August 9th. The hiring process will be August 19-22 and you don't need your Texas DSHS license to apply, you just need to be eligible for reciprocity.

As always, I'm here if anyone has questions.

wcems.jpg