Will Self-Injury disqualify me from being an EMT or anything in that field?

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
Yes you can absolutely get a job. Mental Health holds are private information and will only be revealed if someone request that you release your health records.

People placed on MHH can still buy guns because a hold doesn't mean you have a lasting mental illness that will prevent safe gun ownership. Most people have felt depressed at one point and a decent percent have contemplated suicide, which would make them eligible for MHH, that doesn't mean they can't safely own a gun when they feel better.

To the OP: understand that the job is stressful, but I know work stressors and life stressors often feel different, for me one used to be harder to cope with than another. I also know that as we get older we develop better ways to cope and just because at one point cutting helped doesn't mean that you don't now have better coping abilities. Good luck in your EMT endeavor, try not to let your past get in the way of what's in front of you.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I'm sorry, but people who have been placed on an involuntary or court ordered hold can not legally buy guns in the US. It has been that way since 1968. They are listed in the same federal law that prevents felons and several other types of pee from buying guns. There is a national database that all states are supposed to report names to so that when a background check is done for a gun purchase that person is flagged. It was a HUGE issue after Virginia Tech because the shooter had previously been court ordered to undergo mental health care, and was technically prohibited from buying a gun. He was able to because Virginia had never got around to submitting his name to the national database. After that stricter laws were passed requiring states to comply or risk losing federal money.

Last edited by a moderator:

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
Court ordered holds are different than MHH. 72 hour (MHH) holds are placed on people who are gravelly disabled or they believe pose a danger to themselves or others. I'll cite the depressed suicidal person who goes to the ER because they don't know where else to go for help. This individual is not the type of person who is going to snap and kill everyone, they are just getting some help for their mental health.

Court ordered holds are a matter of public record and will prevent you from owning a firearm. Because these types of holds infringe upon your rights they must be done by a court. Court holds typically involve people who are severely mentally ill and require long-term involuntary treatment.

Legally, these are two very different animals.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I also know that as we get older we develop better ways to cope and just because at one point cutting helped doesn't mean that you don't now have better coping abilities.

Yea!

at 21 we can buy alcohol :)

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll be quieter now.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Court ordered holds are different than MHH. 72 hour (MHH) holds are placed on people who are gravelly disabled or they believe pose a danger to themselves or others. I'll cite the depressed suicidal person who goes to the ER because they don't know where else to go for help. This individual is not the type of person who is going to snap and kill everyone, they are just getting some help for their mental health.

Court ordered holds are a matter of public record and will prevent you from owning a firearm. Because these types of holds infringe upon your rights they must be done by a court. Court holds typically involve people who are severely mentally ill and require long-term involuntary treatment.

Legally, these are two very different animals.

In my state, a 72 hour hold IS a court order. That is all it takes. I know it doesn't seem reasonable or logical but that is how it is.

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
I'm sorry, but people who have been placed on an involuntary or court ordered hold can not legally buy guns in the US. It has been that way since 1968. They are listed in the same federal law that prevents felons and several other types of pee from buying guns. There is a national database that all states are supposed to report names to so that when a background check is done for a gun purchase that person is flagged. It was a HUGE issue after Virginia Tech because the shooter had previously been court ordered to undergo mental health care, and was technically prohibited from buying a gun. He was able to because Virginia had never got around to submitting his name to the national database. After that stricter laws were passed requiring states to comply or risk losing federal money.

^Well that's not very nice.

In all seriousness though, I think it would depend upon the state, and the agencies / companies you choose to apply to. I doubt it would prevent you from obtaining your license, however agencies with more thorough background investigations and stricter psychological standards / requirements may be more difficult.

As also discussed, the distinction between "can work" and "should work" is important. Many in this field successfully deal with mental health issues on a daily basis, same as in any other...many others, however, are also unable to functionally cope with the demands of the job. If you're already seeing a mental health provider, it may be a good idea to discuss your concerns with them...I'm sure they or your MD might be able to provide some better answers

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
If you apply for a Fire-Department or County Run EMS.. this might be a problem as they tend to have a psychological evaluation and Polygraph stage as well.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
If you apply for a Fire-Department or County Run EMS.. this might be a problem as they tend to have a psychological evaluation and Polygraph stage as well.

That would depend upon where the OP is from, because it is not the standard nationwide.

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
Here in FL, if that were to happen, you would be baker acted (temporarily in state custody) and would be taken to the nearest ER by LE or EMS. You would then be transferred to a behavioral hospital ( which one would depend on insurance provider) and they would evaluate your psychiatric condition and usually let go sometime within 72 hrs. As far as I know, nobody would know about this unless you tell them, and I was once told that it shouldn't show up on background checks. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not so sure about other states policies.

If you're baker acted it shows up on ur background showing u have psych issues etc regardless if u were just having ideation or they found u with a bottle of pills & some jack Daniels. Best not to get bakerd. ;) like if u were going for pd job & they are doing a psych eval as they do on everyone it'll come up bc they need to know.

EMS I'm not so sure about

Mdawg1111

Forum Ride Along
I used to self injure and my friend called the police, thinking I was going to kill myself. I told the police that I had no intention of killing myself but that I did injure myself. I'm sure they wrote up a report. Will this disqualify me from becoming an EMT?
I think something that needs to be said here is that, yes you need to be mentally strong and you need to be able to handle the stress that comes with being an EMT/Paramedic etc., but I also think self harming is not something people just jump to to deal with stress, i study Behavioral Neuroscience and I think internally those who self harm or who have self harmed (including me) do so as a coping mechanism to their own personal stress, and/or personal issues. That being said, the stress of saving someone else’s life versus the stress of your own day to day struggles are on different terms, so I think it is a slightly different mental stress. For me, for example, my step father passed away and I touched his body 4 hours after he had passed, his limbs were cold to the touch and at 16 it was a bit traumatic, and my mother passed away about a month ago due to my sisters and I removing life support after three major brain bleeds (2 separate subdural hematomas on the left side and one intraventricular hemorrhage on the right side, putting pressure on the frontal lobe, and thus after > 24 hours on medications to slow bleeding, on her brain stem) we removed life support and my sisters and I watched her pass away, there’s a lot more medically to the story and I’ve been witness to additional traumatic scenes, I have self harmed and it was never truly due to what I witnessed, it was mostly due to my own emotional struggles and the things I have personally been subject to. In no way is that meant to mean I’ve been through more, or nothing can bring me down, but self harm was an outlet for myself to remind my own personal being that I was in fact alive, and realistically how close I could actually get to killing myself, it helped me realize how easily my life could be taken, even by myself. Mentally, our brains work in maginificent ways, and I don’t think anyone who self harms or harmed should be shamed or scared out of being an EMT or a paramedic. It could even save a life of someone truly suicidal, because mentally that medical professional had been through similar thoughts, and has medical training. If you think you need help, get it, before risking someone else’s life. If you self harm as your own coping mechanism and you recognize that you’re doing it to cope, not to end your life or because you hate life in general, don’t let some of these opinions stand in your way of saving another persons life. For me, I truly want to make a difference and I want to be able to give others the chance to live. Even if I haven’t always wanted that for myself.

Drax

Forum Captain
There was a gal I worked with a handful of times who had big gash scars on her arms consistent with cutting/suicidal ideation. She wore short sleeves very often. Always thought that was weird.

To answer your question, I guess not.

Epic thread bump.

SanJoseEmt

Forum Crew Member
no, use your experiences to become a great emt for your community. and dont let anything get in your way.

SanJoseEmt

Forum Crew Member
I used to self injure and my friend called the police, thinking I was going to kill myself. I told the police that I had no intention of killing myself but that I did injure myself. I'm sure they wrote up a report. Will this disqualify me from becoming an EMT?

No, it won’t. Ambulance companies are not allowed to get your medical records without YOUR consent.