Will Self-Injury disqualify me from being an EMT or anything in that field?

KarinaKrystal

Forum Ride Along
I used to self injure and my friend called the police, thinking I was going to kill myself. I told the police that I had no intention of killing myself but that I did injure myself. I'm sure they wrote up a report. Will this disqualify me from becoming an EMT?

Anjel

Forum Angel
Most companies just do a background check.

So unless you were charged for something, I don't imagine them being able to find out.

However, you need to be prepared for the things you will see in EMS. If hurting yourself is how you deal, this field definitely isn't for you.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
no, it will not.

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
I agree with @angel if you cant deal with your own lifes problems, and resort to cutting yourself idk how you are gonna deal with seeing all the crap you will see in ems. Its a high stress job with long hours and all kinds of problems. That being said it still is an awesome job if you really wanna help people and want to learn. Just remember you are being trusted with peoples lives. Even if it is an ift company you end up working for. You never know when that pt your transporting is gonna start to crash or code on you. You gotta be mentally ready for things like that and know how to deal with it in a healthy, none self inflicting pain type of way.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
Here in FL, if that were to happen, you would be baker acted (temporarily in state custody) and would be taken to the nearest ER by LE or EMS. You would then be transferred to a behavioral hospital ( which one would depend on insurance provider) and they would evaluate your psychiatric condition and usually let go sometime within 72 hrs. As far as I know, nobody would know about this unless you tell them, and I was once told that it shouldn't show up on background checks. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not so sure about other states policies.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Most likely no. If everyone who went through a self destructive/suicidal stage was excluded from the field there'd be like 9 people left.

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
You need to be mentally strong to take this job. We see some crazy sh*t and are put under stress that you can't yet comprehend (cuz you haven't been in the field yet). We're trusted with peoples lives and need to maintain full composure and confidence in ourselves to do our job right. If you were cutting yourself to deal with normal life problems I have to ask myself how you're going to deal with EMS. But if you feel you've out grown that, then by all means go for it. As long as you weren't placed on a 5150 hold, you'll be able to pass the background fine.

bigbaldguy

Yup the weak don't make it in this profession. If you can't handle the stress and turn to self destructive habits there's no place for you here. Now if you'll excuse me I've got to run to the liquor store before they close. I seem to have run out of vodka and cigarets :rofl:

Anjel

Forum Angel
Yup the weak don't make it in this profession. If you can't handle the stress and turn to self destructive habits there's no place for you here. Now if you'll excuse me I've got to run to the liquor store before they close. I seem to have run out of vodka and cigarets :rofl:

I worked today. Pick me up some rum while you are at it ;-)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
A mental health hold is still your medical information and is therefore private and only available to people you reveal it to. It wont show up on a background check.

That's how I understand it, at least. I'm not going to beat a dead horse, everyone already talked about the stress involved in this job.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

bigbaldguy

Anjel

Forum Angel

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
A mental health hold is both medical and legal information. If it didn't show up on a background check then how come people who have been placed on involuntary holds can't buy guns?

Anyway, the OP wasn't placed on an involuntary hold by the sounds of it, so they are probably alright, but it may depend on the state they are in.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
A mental health hold is both medical and legal information. If it didn't show up on a background check then how come people who have been placed on involuntary holds can't buy guns?

Anyway, the OP wasn't placed on an involuntary hold by the sounds of it, so they are probably alright, but it may depend on the state they are in.

Touche' saleswomen.

Stop proving me wrong, it makes me feel dumb :( ;)

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
With age comes wisdom :p

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Anjel

Forum Angel