Why

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
For the first video this is why Ritalin is made. On the second, I foresee a new MRI tech position opening. Nothing like dinging a 3 million dollar toy.

R/r 911

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I wore my watch into an MRI once. Oops. I literally had no control over my arm. And it destroyed my watch.:rolleyes:

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh Dear!!! makes me afraid of magnets!!!!! :p^_^:p

Medic

Forum Lieutenant
Would brases or metal plates, screws in the body. have this effect?

tydek07

Forum Captain
MRI:

hmm... That was smart, haha... Only if I could afford to "play" like that :glare:

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Would brases or metal plates, screws in the body. have this effect?

I would think so the skin doesn't provide magnetic field insulation.

You guys ever see the episode of ER where they bring the patient into the MRI room with a metal stretcher, and they walk away for a second and turn on the machine and it smashes the pt onto the machine!

Medic

Forum Lieutenant
OI sounds quite painfull. I havent seen it. Im sure it has happened in this world before.

TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant

You guys ever see the episode of ER where they bring the patient into the MRI room with a metal stretcher, and they walk away for a second and turn on the machine and it smashes the pt onto the machine!

Talking from Experience, Never had an incident with an MRI machine while I had Braces, or with the 6 Screws and 2 plates in my jaw.

The material they use I believe is not REAL metal, Someone can help me on this, But Im fairly certain that for some instances (As the ones your talking about) they arent real metal

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
Talking from Experience, Never had an incident with an MRI machine while I had Braces, or with the 6 Screws and 2 plates in my jaw.

The material they use I believe is not REAL metal, Someone can help me on this, But Im fairly certain that for some instances (As the ones your talking about) they arent real metal

I believe you just can't have any ferrous metals. So like iron, steel, or an alloy with a high amount of iron. So things that are aluminum tubing, or aluminum oxygen cylinders can be used, or like beryllium copper tools (non-spark wrenches and so forth) can be used.

Then some stainless steel is non-magnetic. I'm not really sure how, but when there is high amounts of nickel in it, it becomes non-magnetic.

Second

Forum Lieutenant

no, metal plates do not get yanked out or slam you into the MRI machine, I was born with a clef lip and pallet and they had to extend out my maxilla out about 3 inches they put a metal plate and screws in my face and i was fine during my MRI during my motorcycle wreck (yes i asked the nurse if it would affect the plate and she said no)

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
no, metal plates do not get yanked out or slam you into the MRI machine, I was born with a clef lip and pallet and they had to extend out my maxilla out about 3 inches they put a metal plate and screws in my face and i was fine during my MRI during my motorcycle wreck (yes i asked the nurse if it would affect the plate and she said no)

Hmm, that's weird. I wonder why it wouldn't have any effect. Can you stick a magnet to your face and have it hold?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
yeh there is also austenitic iron which is non-magnetic but unstable unless i think nickel is mixed with it. I think it is more common in non-magnetic stainless.

Finally there is a use for having a parent that works with metals.

Second

Forum Lieutenant
Finally there is a use for having a parent that works with metals.

lol :p

la la la sorry it keeps telling me my message is to short so this is a useless piece of text for you