Why is it so hard to join a squad in NJ?

Tii

Forum Probie
It has always been a dream of mine to become an EMT. There are a few volunteer squads around my area but they are either full or only want current EMTS. I am not licensed because it would cost me anywhere between 1200-1350 for a program here with NO payment plan. My next best option was of course joining a volunteer squad but there are so limited! I am trying not to give up on my dreams but this whole process is so frustrating.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Why would an ambulance squad take someone who's not certified? Get certified and I'm sure you'll have no issue.

OP
OP
Tii

Tii

Forum Probie
A lot of squads accept members who are not certified and will pay for you to get certified OR they take you and you pay yourself while still being a member.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
But they would certainly take somebody already certified over someone with nothing. Thus, the reason it's "so hard to join a squad". Why would they fill their roster with uncertified people unless they were really hurting.

OP
OP
Tii

Tii

Forum Probie
That's not why I am having a hard time. That is common sense about taking someone certified over someone who isn't. It's the fact that they are all impossible to get in contact with. Majority of the squads want you to be certified which I understand why. The squads that will pay for you are the ones that I am having trouble getting in to because of the lack of communication.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
But they would certainly take somebody already certified over someone with nothing. Thus, the reason it's "so hard to join a squad". Why would they fill their roster with uncertified people unless they were really hurting.

This.

If they don't have enough people sure they'll pay for it but when they've got 100 new or almost EMTs showing up every day they're not gonna pay for someone when they've got people that wouldn't cost them anything.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
That's not why I am having a hard time. That is common sense about taking someone certified over someone who isn't. It's the fact that they are all impossible to get in contact with. Majority of the squads want you to be certified which I understand why. The squads that will pay for you are the ones that I am having trouble getting in to because of the lack of communication.

Like you said, it's common sense. Just because the squad will pay, they would still rather not if they don't have to.

OP
OP
Tii

Tii

Forum Probie
Like you said, it's common sense. Just because the squad will pay, they would still rather not if they don't have to.

I think you are missing the point....I am not applying to the squads that clearly state they are looking for currently certified EMTS. The ones that clearly state that they will pay for you never has anyone around to respond to you or your questions. THAT is my point of it being hard.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
No, I fully understand what you're saying. It's not hard to grasp what you've repeated over and over. I don't think you are being open-minded enough. There may be a communication issue, sure. If that's the case, call them. Go there in person. Do not just rely on emails. But the fact remains that they will not waste their money on you if they don't have to. Do you know their current staffing levels right now? Or the status of their staff? Are they already paying for somebody? Again, preferential selection. You have nothing to offer at the moment. Go get your EMT. $1350 is not crazy, and many schools have payment plans. Work, save up, make sacrifices, and get your cert. If you have time to volunteer, you have time to work extra and save up. Stop looking for handouts and take charge of what you want to accomplish.

OP
OP
Tii

Tii

Forum Probie
No, I fully understand what you're saying. It's not hard to grasp what you've repeated over and over. I don't think you are being open-minded enough. There may be a communication issue, sure. If that's the case, call them. Go there in person. Do not just rely on emails. But the fact remains that they will not waste their money on you if they don't have to. Do you know their current staffing levels right now? Or the status of their staff? Are they already paying for somebody? Again, preferential selection. You have nothing to offer at the moment. Go get your EMT. $1350 is not crazy, and many schools have payment plans. Work, save up, make sacrifices, and get your cert. If you have time to volunteer, you have time to work extra and save up. Stop looking for handouts and take charge of what you want to accomplish.

I don't email, I call & I go there. Yes I happen to know a specific facilities staffing information from when I spoke to the captain a few weeks ago and he informed me how understaffed they are. If I was working 1350 would not be a problem but seeing as though I am not working at the moment that is the problem which is specifically why I am trying to go through a volunteer squad. Not sure of what handouts you are referring to, I believe I am taking charge by going out and looking instead of just saying it is something I would like to do without any intent to go do it.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
1350 for an EMT class? Yikes.

Looked into community colleges at all? Those tend to me cheaper.

OP
OP
Tii

Tii

Forum Probie
1350 for an EMT class? Yikes.

Looked into community colleges at all? Those tend to me cheaper.

Believe it or not they are the same price as the other facilities. Not many community colleges even offer the course near me.

chriscemt

Forum Lieutenant
Believe it or not they are the same price as the other facilities. Not many community colleges even offer the course near me.

Care to offer your location? I think $1350 is like, way, out of line. I paid roughly $1100 for mine, and I had to pay the double-unit-fee due to having a BS already. No BS, it would have cost me roughly $800, between the school fees, state license fees, and NREMT.

OP
OP
Tii

Tii

Forum Probie
I'm in essex county...orange. I know 1350 is a lot that's why im surprised people are saying that's a good price

chriscemt

Forum Lieutenant
I'm in essex county...orange. I know 1350 is a lot that's why im surprised people are saying that's a good price

Just going off the Essex County College website, $1500 is for the class alone, and they require BLS/CPR for entry. At this point, I'm going to have to check out of this thread. The prices for the EMT is far more there than here, and I get paid what I think is awesome money. For what you're paying there, I would think you could expect nearly $20/hr as an EMT, but honestly, that's another issue entirely.

Good luck to you, sir. This is an awesome industry and an awesome job. I'm bragging in emails in my other tabs to friends about my entire day. I do this at least twice a month, and that's when I have time to email them.

OP
OP
Tii

Tii

Forum Probie
I'm a girl actually lol. I don't blame you I luckily have my BLS since I am a medical assistant. They pay varies significantly in this area from $12-$23 an hour. Depends honestly on how big the company is. Essex County College wants to take advantage of the fact that they are almost the only place in essex county to get certified

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I'm a girl actually lol. I don't blame you I luckily have my BLS since I am a medical assistant. They pay varies significantly in this area from $12-$23 an hour. Depends honestly on how big the company is. Essex County College wants to take advantage of the fact that they are almost the only place in essex county to get certified
then look outside of essex county.

There is a class starting tommorow in metuchen (maybe 45 min from Orange), and costs $1200. For a 240 hour class, it isn't too unreasonable, when you consider all the costs involved in running a class.

check out this site for all the classes state wide: https://njems.rutgers.edu/jsp/rlm/catalog.jsp

If you are unemployed, and have the money to spend, take the monday to friday 9 to 5 class.

Orange has no volunteer EMS squad. Look at Montclair, West Orange, South Orange, or one of a dozen ems agencies in western essex county. or look at hudson or union county (maybe a 30 minute drive from Orange on a bad day), and BE PATIENT. expect to wait at least 3 months from the time you apply until the time you step foot on an ambulance, and even longer until you are sent to EMT school. Background checks need to be completed, meetings are held, finger print results need to come back, and those are for the decent agencies. These things take time, and if you want to get involved in EMS, and not be seen as a fly by night person (who joins, gets their emt training paid for, and then quits right after), you will have to be patient.

Use their websites, use the contact us option, and send emails out. that's usually the easiest way to get ahold of the proper people. phone calls and voicemails aren't all that effective, and stopping by doesn't help if the leadership isn't there.

If you really want to get into EMS, you will need to get out of your own backyard, and do what you need to get what you want. But it's not going to happen over night, regardless of what you expect.

OP
OP
Tii

Tii

Forum Probie
Yeah I don't have the money to spend on that. Wish I did but I really don't. I tried South Orange and I got a lot closer with them. I got lucky when I called yesterday because I was able to stop by while they had a meeting. West Orange is my only other option. I am finding now that most squads are not accepting out of town members which of course I can't do anything about. I really wish newark still had their training for ems.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Get a job. Problem solved. We all sacrificed more than likely to get our cert. I can promise you there is a job you can get for a couple months to save up for a course. Doesn't even have to be medical assisting. Problems solved. Don't like seeing people complain when they have not done everything they can to achieve something. Obviously the Volly departments you are looking at are not hurting or they would of been in contact with you.