Why does Hennepin only run Paramedics (MN)

ZachJCH

Forum Ride Along
So I was just curious why Hennepin County in Minnesota only runs Paramedics and not EMT-B's even though there one of the biggest ambulance services in the metro. I've heard a few different reasons, one being that Hennepin deals with a lot of the BIG calls. Not sure how much truth there is in that.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Likely due to county contract

OP
OP
ZachJCH

ZachJCH

Forum Ride Along
Right that's what I'm thinking. They don't even hire EMT-B's. Just found that strange because all the other big wig ambulance companies in Minnesota run EMT/EMT, EMT/Paramedic and Paramedic/Paramedic. Hennepin only runs Paramedic/Paramedic and there one of the biggest and busiest in Minnesota.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
It's been a while since I lived in Minnesota, but I believe Hennepin County (the government, not the medical center) requires 2 paramedics on ambulances. North Memorial has 2 medic rigs for the portion of Hennepin county they cover.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If they really are as busy as you say they might do it to split the workload evenly. If you have 2 medics they can go call for call no matter what. B/P crew or even I/P crew can't do that. I think it's probably a county requirement though.

Denver Health Paramedic Division runs P/P almost exclusively. They have a few Bs and Is but if I remember correctly they're trying to get them through medic school and only have medics.

I've heard whispers of us going P/P but I don't think we have the budget for that and we definitely don't have the staffing.

Some states/counties say for an ambulance to be considered ALS it has to be dual medic. Michigan is like that in some areas if not all, Delaware requires two Medics to respond to every call that's triaged ALS or upgraded by BLS. Again, this would be where I put my money at.

those are the ones off the top of my head, after dislocating my shoulder...again...and being loaded on pain meds to reduce it and refusing to go to the ER. My girlfriend is angry.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
If they really are as busy as you say they might do it to split the workload evenly. If you have 2 medics they can go call for call no matter what. B/P crew or even I/P crew can't do that. I think it's probably a county requirement though.

Denver Health Paramedic Division runs P/P almost exclusively. They have a few Bs and Is but if I remember correctly they're trying to get them through medic school and only have medics.

I've heard whispers of us going P/P but I don't think we have the budget for that and we definitely don't have the staffing.

Some states/counties say for an ambulance to be considered ALS it has to be dual medic. Michigan is like that in some areas if not all, Delaware requires two Medics to respond to every call that's triaged ALS or upgraded by BLS. Again, this would be where I put my money at.

those are the ones off the top of my head, after dislocating my shoulder...again...and being loaded on pain meds to reduce it and refusing to go to the ER. My girlfriend is angry.

Dude don't be stubborn... If she ain't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain

We don't have any EMT-Is. It's nearly all medics with a handful of basics.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We don't have any EMT-Is. It's nearly all medics with a handful of basics.

Really? They must've all made it through medic school because I was told there were still a few ILS attendants around last time I talked to someone out there. It's been a while though.

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
I've been here for 6 years and we've never had any practicing intermediates in that time. As far as I know, we never have. When we had the X-cars they were staffed with 2 basics.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I've been here for 6 years and we've never had any practicing intermediates in that time. As far as I know, we never have. When we had the X-cars they were staffed with 2 basics.

Huh. Maybe I misunderstood. When you say basics are you talking EMT-B with the Colorado IV cert or straight EMT-B.

Do you mind if I PM you? DH is one of the services I've always toyed with apply at since the surrounding area is similar to where in at now. Climate at least lol.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Huh. Maybe I misunderstood. When you say basics are you talking EMT-B with the Colorado IV cert or straight EMT-B.

Do you mind if I PM you? DH is one of the services I've always toyed with apply at since the surrounding area is similar to where in at now. Climate at least lol.

Pretty much every paid EMT in Colorado has their IV and many volunteers do to.

A fair number of medical directors do not recognize intermediates, especially in more urban areas.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain

They're EMTs with the IV cert. Feel free to PM me!